One Standard For Plastic Balls

This user has no status.
Table tennis has entered its new phase, the plastic ball. The question is...Is it time to create a standard and if so, what would be the standard for these plastic balls? I have played with various brands, some are softer while others are harder. Some are seamless and some are not. Some use this kind of plastic material where others use different plastic material.

Without a standard, the game of table tennis has become more challenging. For example, I generally play with Butterfly, Joola Nittaku SHA, Nittaku Premium, Yasaka, and some other brands from China. Each of these balls play differently. There is a huge difference between Nittaku SHA, and Nittaku Premium. For one, the colors are different. SHA is a brighter white, easier to see in my opinion, while Nittaku Premium is a darker white, a little harder to see. Nittaku SHA is softer, while the Premium has a hard shell.

When it comes to being durable, I find that the seamless balls which have the harder shell more durable. The Butterfly plastic balls except for G, which I have tried yet, break easier so does Nittaku's SHA. They have one major thing in common, these are the softer balls. So far I like playing more with the softer balls despite their durability problems. The harder balls, seem slower to me, and harder to see than the brighter softer balls but in a way, I like playing with the seamless harder balls too, but if I had the choice, right now I would choose, the softer. Which would you pick and do you think your preference should be in the one standard for all plastic balls?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
It's a pity that all balls are so different from each other. Which makes you need to adjust your technique when changing ball.

Yes, incredibly frustrating. They're so different that they favor different styles, so we have different teams using different balls because they want to use the ones which suit them. Very messy.

As things stand anyone who uses chinese seamed balls is crazy. Very high breakage rate and inconsistent bounce (maybe things have improved in recent batches?). Nittaku Premium and Butterfly G40+ are very expensive. So the seamless ball is winning out locally at present, and although I prefer the Premium myself I can totally see why most teams are using seamless.

Reactions: Suga D
says Aging is a killer
Check your balls

Ever wonder why some balls seem to wobble initially then settle down? Here's a quality check for seamless balls.
On removing from packaging, gently pass your finger over the ball. Then confirm by using your nail to very gently do the same.
Sometimes the ball will have a very tiny blob of plastic sticking out.
This was shown to me by an umpire as she found one among about 20-30balls she was going through.. I could not find it with the finger rub but using the nail revealed the little piece.This is only an occasional occurence but she has developed the habit of checking the ball in this way before each match.
I don't think it matters in lower leagues as the bat on ball plus cleaning etc should get rid of it during play.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Yes, incredibly frustrating. They're so different that they favor different styles, so we have different teams using different balls because they want to use the ones which suit them. Very messy.

As things stand anyone who uses chinese seamed balls is crazy. Very high breakage rate and inconsistent bounce (maybe things have improved in recent batches?). Nittaku Premium and Butterfly G40+ are very expensive. So the seamless ball is winning out locally at present, and although I prefer the Premium myself I can totally see why most teams are using seamless.

Thanks for your response...I understand your frustration. I played against some who will only use certain plastic balls. The original promise was, plastic balls would be produced cheaper than the old non-plastic balls. But since there is so much experimentation going on, because there is no one suitable standard yet, they charge more for them.