Which would be a better set up?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Read 6 reviews
As of now, i am using the Yasaka ma lin extra offensive. This blade is good but after a while, it started feeling slow for me. Recently, i tried the timo boll spirit blade and loved it. The blade felt faster, which is what i need. I plan on getting the timo boll spirit but i can't determine which rubber set i should get. Should i get a timo boll spirit with dhs hurricane 3 on the forehand and Tibhar MX-P on the backhand? or Tibhar MX-P on both sides. When i tried the dhs hurricane 3, i loved it, but i am not sure if i should get it.

This user has no status.
As of now, i am using the Yasaka ma lin extra offensive. This blade is good but after a while, it started feeling slow for me. Recently, i tried the timo boll spirit blade and loved it. The blade felt faster, which is what i need. I plan on getting the timo boll spirit but i can't determine which rubber set i should get. Should i get a timo boll spirit with dhs hurricane 3 on the forehand and Tibhar MX-P on the backhand? or Tibhar MX-P on both sides. When i tried the dhs hurricane 3, i loved it, but i am not sure if i should get it.

Here is the deal...You loved timo boll spirit blade, and now you have a plan on getting it, you love hurricane 3 but not sure if you should stay with MX-P on both sides. I would go with your passion, hurricane 3 on your forehand and MX-P on your backhand! Good luck!! :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
What's your playing level and style? It's never a good sign when a blade is starting to feel slow so how did you conclude this?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Read 6 reviews
What's your playing level and style? It's never a good sign when a blade is starting to feel slow so how did you conclude this?

My style is an aggressive looper from both sides, forehand and backhand. I liked the timo boll spirit as the blade felt lighter, and i could swing my arm faster, due to the carbon in the blade. When i tried the hurricane on the front side of someone elses blade, the rubber was able to make a huge amount of spin, just like my MX-P. I was planning on switching to hurricane as my forehand is similar to those of the chinese and that the rubber is cheaper. If the blade works well with this rubber, hey, i can save about $35 dollars each time i buy my rubbers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Read 6 reviews
Well, it sounds like you have already made your mind up on what you want. Go for it. And tell us how it goes.

Sent from the Oracle of Delphi by the Pythia
When buying the spirit, i will buy a one hurricane and 2 mx-p's, just in case the set up doesn't go well;however, i am in need of finding a website that happens to sell the timo boll spirit at a cheaper price. Do you recommend any cheap sites that sell butterfly products Carl?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
My style is an aggressive looper from both sides, forehand and backhand. I liked the timo boll spirit as the blade felt lighter, and i could swing my arm faster, due to the carbon in the blade. When i tried the hurricane on the front side of someone elses blade, the rubber was able to make a huge amount of spin, just like my MX-P. I was planning on switching to hurricane as my forehand is similar to those of the chinese and that the rubber is cheaper. If the blade works well with this rubber, hey, i can save about $35 dollars each time i buy my rubbers.

Sounds to me like you are changing just because you are curious, which is not a bad reason, but is not a great reason either.

The reason you change to a faster blade is usually that you are very consistent with your current blade, but want to see if you can get more speed without losing that consistency. It is usually a desire to rob faster or more powerful opponents of time in the countering game.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
When buying the spirit, i will buy a one hurricane and 2 mx-p's, just in case the set up doesn't go well;however, i am in need of finding a website that happens to sell the timo boll spirit at a cheaper price. Do you recommend any cheap sites that sell butterfly products Carl?

My understanding of how Butterfly works, they have figured out a way so you can't really get a good deal on a Butterfly blade. And if you think you are getting a Butterfly blade for a decent markdown, it is most likely a fake.

If you were hoping to order from a website that has different prices on Butterfly products than a distributor in your region, forget that idea. Butterfly doesn't allow its distributors to sell products outside of their distribution region. This is so Butterfly can fix a price region by region.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews

You can try one of >9000 clones of TBS from other brands. Some people say that Donic Baum Esprit is really similar, but WAY cheaper.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Read 6 reviews
Sounds to me like you are changing just because you are curious, which is not a bad reason, but is not a great reason either.

The reason you change to a faster blade is usually that you are very consistent with your current blade, but want to see if you can get more speed without losing that consistency. It is usually a desire to rob faster or more powerful opponents of time in the countering game.

In a way, this is true. I want to try a new blade as i see many professionals and many players these days using carbon blades. When i used the carbon blade, i was able to loop at a faster speed, since the blade was lighter. With my wood blade, its good, but i wanna try the carbon blade. In addition, i have read many great reviews about this blade.

This user has no status.
In a way, this is true. I want to try a new blade as i see many professionals and many players these days using carbon blades. When i used the carbon blade, i was able to loop at a faster speed, since the blade was lighter. With my wood blade, its good, but i wanna try the carbon blade. In addition, i have read many great reviews about this blade.

You should try Nexy blades :)

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

Good luck with it. I have gone down that path and it is a sexy one, but one that needs to be experienced to know that it is a wrong one for most players who have not done the required homework. But you learn in life from mistakes as well as successes so it is a good thing to try.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Ah, man! I was doing my best not to extol the virtues of a blade that is a bit slower with more dwell time than either the Yasaka Ma Lin Extra or the TBS.

I wasn't going to say how a 5 ply, all wood Off- blade would help him develop more spin, have more precise placement, help him create bigger angles to more his opponent around. I wasn't going to say that the faster blade will create less arc and a longer arc on the ball and cause his game to have less angles. I completely planned on leaving out details about a ball with a higher spin/speed ratio in comparison to a ball with a higher speed/spin ratio.

So I won't say any of that.

Tell us how you like the TBS with H3 and MX-P. Tell us if you end up keeping the H3 or going back to MX-P.

It will be fun to hear how you like the new setup.

By the way, leaving being silly aside, for some people that is a great setup. I hope it really works well for you.

Sent from the Oracle of Delphi by the Pythia

Reactions: NextLevel