Cheap beginner defensive setup

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2015
My friend decided he wanted to start playing table tennis. He said he wanted to play defensive style and chop. What equipment would be good to start with. What long pips, inverted rubber, and blade should he use?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2015
Read 1 reviews
Sorry, I meant affordable. Like a thirty dollar rubber and fifty dollar blade

Ok well that gives you a lot more options, I don't really know much about defensive setups so there will be a lot of people on this forum that can help you more than I can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
That's actually reasonably good for a defensive option to start with - LP on BH and a spinny/tacky rubber on FH. Just out of curiosity, when you say your friend decided to pick up TT - I presume he is a true beginner, as in 'never held a TT paddle before'? I'm always a bit skeptical when folks declare that they 'know' what they want on day 1...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2015
That's actually reasonably good for a defensive option to start with - LP on BH and a spinny/tacky rubber on FH. Just out of curiosity, when you say your friend decided to pick up TT - I presume he is a true beginner, as in 'never held a TT paddle before'? I'm always a bit skeptical when folks declare that they 'know' what they want on day 1...
Yes, a true beginner

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
I disagree, players can know what style they want to go for from the start after seeing different players styles. what they want will most certainly change once they start to get better but i know a few players who decided they wanted to be defensive from the start and stuck to it becoming sufficient at it. I also know a baseliner that liked watching what mizutani does and set his mind to backing up for a counter loop as his "main style" he ended up around 1700 before having a kid and quitting.

When i see players that don't specifically know what kind of style they want and are just trying to get good at everything, these players tend to turn out like blockers/counter hitters if they never make up their mind. but also these players tend to find what they enjoy the most and can truly go in any direction if they do make up their mind.

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Nov 2010
Go to colestt.com or zeropong. Colestt has the LQ1 and LQ2. With rubber it will cost about $50. If you want cheaper get a Toxic 5 and put 755 0X, Dr Evil or Peace Keeper on the back and LKT Pro XP or XT on the FH. This setup is far from optimal but it will be a more rounded start.

I have a Toxic 5 hard bat that is fun and easy to chop with with Peacekeeper 0X on both sides. Obviously an inverted rubber or perhaps SP should be on the FH. Don't get too thick or expensive rubber on the FH if it is going to be used for chopping. I find chopping with thicker rubber on my FH difficult.

This user has no status.
Item USD mm

BLADE
Giant Dragon BALSAdef 30.00
KTL (LKT) Instinct 16.00
KTL (LKT) Toxic 5 22.00

RUBBER (Note, You may choose thinner version if You are confident with Your touch play)
Gambler Reflectoid 14.00 1.9 - 2.4
Giant Dragon Submarine 15.99 1.8 - 2.3
SpinLord Marder 20.00 1.6 - 2.1

PIPS (Note, You may choose thinner version if You are confident with Your touch play)
Bomb Talent 18.00 0.9 - 1.7

These among the best cheap beginner safe Japanese Style Chopper Setup. They are great for chopping, but save enough for blocking. :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2015
Item USD mm

BLADE
Giant Dragon BALSAdef 30.00
KTL (LKT) Instinct 16.00
KTL (LKT) Toxic 5 22.00

RUBBER (Note, You may choose thinner version if You are confident with Your touch play)
Gambler Reflectoid 14.00 1.9 - 2.4
Giant Dragon Submarine 15.99 1.8 - 2.3
SpinLord Marder 20.00 1.6 - 2.1

PIPS (Note, You may choose thinner version if You are confident with Your touch play)
Bomb Talent 18.00 0.9 - 1.7

These among the best cheap beginner safe Japanese Style Chopper Setup. They are great for chopping, but save enough for blocking. :)
Thank you very much????