Light vs Heavy blade question

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
So i have a blade maker (ross leidy) making me another violin composition blade. Last time i had him do this i requested it at about 86grams. to do this he had to make the head size a bit oversized. with the oversized head i had to use more rubber on the blade making it heavier than all my other 86 gram blades.

Should i go for the regular head size to keep the weight down or will i lose stability with this? or maybe should i have him not hollow out the handle like he usually does to conserve some weight.

i guess my main questions are

1. If theres more weight in the handle opposed to the head does it effect the blade negatively.
2. Would a lighter blade make me lose consistency?
3. Pros/cons of heavy vs light

a little more background. a few weeks ago i was about 1700, i've skyrocketed to about 1800 thanks to some members help after posting a video on this forum (nextlevel, carl). I'm a two winged looper, very consistent with slow spinny loops and about 8/10 on power loops. my chops still struggle.but they're such a little part in my game that my opponents have never been able to discover that they're a bit week and im so comfortable flipping that i havent had issues with them.

edit: dont think this information is important but i use 1.9 rasant grip with it.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I would say this from my personal perspective that is very well known.

If a player wants an offensive blade and has the opportunity to give specs to a maker and he gives you a lot of control of hte production... I would say ABSOLUTELY ask the blade be made WITHOUT a hollow throat or handle pieces. The weight might be higher by 10 grams or even 25 grams, but the overall balance, feel, performance, ease of acceleration, and solid dynamics will be SO much better in every way.

There are many who for their reasons why sum players would WANT an overall lighter blade and I say if the people want tomatoes, let them have tomatoes. You have a chance to ask for your cake and eat it too.

Reactions: BeGo and Shuki