Unbelievable drop shot by Jiaming He!

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
What's going on guys! We featured this superb shot in our top 10 shots of 2014 last year. We realised we had no dedicated topic for this tremendous video, and felt it was time to re surface this shot! Check it out below, it is insane! This drop shot could rival any of Jan Ove Waldner's, I wonder what he would have to say about that :)

What do you think!? :)

says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
Sorry this is great shot.... But it goes not nearly close to waldner's shot.... This looks like exhibition...... And Jan makes it in real (and important) game.... I think this types of shot are plenty.... But only few in inportant matches .... Only few of people have the nuts to do in real game.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Read 4 reviews
have you ever seen anyone besides him do a chop block drop shot like that or is this kid the only one you have seen doing it?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Sorry this is great shot.... But it goes not nearly close to waldner's shot.... This looks like exhibition...... And Jan makes it in real (and important) game.... I think this types of shot are plenty.... But only few in inportant matches .... Only few of people have the nuts to do in real game.

waldner actually had never made such kind of dropshot in his entire carreer. to drop shot a high lob is not so special anymore but to drop shot a long topspin passing just over the net is really something. The player totally felt the amount of spin that the ball had and completely nullified it

Notice how he made the contact, he didnt let the ball sink into his paddle completely by moving it backwards. and his paddle angle was perfect. insane shot if you ask me

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Yeah, that was pretty impressive. I think he slightly touched the side of the ball so that the topspin wouldn't have a big effect on his rubber. However, it still takes great ball control to be able to do that.

the ball had also some light sidespin if check his paddle angle. if it was 100% topspin then his dropshot would land a lot higher and further in the table

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
That is definitely good touch and it was obviously quite a surprise to his opponent.

That drop shot can't be easy. He is taking the drop against an opening loop. The loop is initiated off the serve from below the table. It isn't a fast loop but it has to have a LOT of spin since it arcs from below table height over the net and onto the table.

Not worth comparing to anyone else's shots. At least in my opinion. But it is worth admiring the touch and skill.

Just wait, I'm going to make a video of me performing this drop shot and you guys will all get to laugh as I pop the ball up and hit it long over and over again.

Sent from the Oracle of Delphi by the Pythia

says Aging is a killer
.........Just wait, I'm going to make a video of me performing this drop shot and you guys will all get to laugh as I pop the ball up and hit it long over and over again. ...........

Notice that in this case, it's a righty vs lefty so you may not be able to reproduce exactly.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Notice that in this case, it's a righty vs lefty so you may not be able to reproduce exactly.

I'm pretty good with my left hand. LOL.

Nah, not really. But I would be good at popping the ball up and missing the table if I tried that shot.

But your post just jogged a memory. I was an umpire at this Nike event a few years ago that was a promotion for the Nike smart band or something. They already stopped making it. Lol. The event was a corporate tournament.

But Ilija Lupulesku was there hitting with a few other guys like Adam Hue and Mieczylslaw (Matthew) Suchy. Loopy is lefty.

Every so often as they were blasting loops at him he would step in, take the ball right off the bounce and drop it in a way that I was totally mystified by. The ball was clearing the net by no more than an inch and just stopping and heading back towards the net. It was a short low push off of a fully blasted power loop.

Now, it was exhibition but I had never seen anything like it. The touch he had on that was beautiful. And the angle of the racket was a little different. But not that different from in this video.

Low, short, heavy push off an all out power loop! I wish I had gotten video footage. I guess part of it was, at his highest level I think Lupulsku was a good level and half or two higher than those two. So he had enough more technique and touch to do this off their loops. But it was pretty amazing.

Sent from the Oracle of Delphi by the Pythia

says Aging is a killer
I think you'll surprise yourself at what you can do.
I can't make the ball stop and trickle back but I can do a chop block even rarely make it 2 bounce. But I have never attempted it even in a fun match. That's why I think that in the OP case, the lad's subconcious took over for that stroke.
Now where's that robot?