How to memorize my knees

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
The thing is while training my position is quite correct, but in a game play it is hard for me to focus on many different aspects at the same time. So the result is after first ball, especially when it is BH topspin from backspin my position is getting much higher and stay like this ( I do not bend my knees anymore – not enough).
Can you recommend some practice to memorize my knees keep bent all the time?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
You can play serve and attack drills and concentrate on staying low during those. You can also play multiball, something like one long backspin to your BH, then one topspin to your BH, and also concentrate on staying low. Last, but not the least, you can do some shadowplay with your common playing patterns and pay attention to staying low -- it will be the easiest way, probably.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Good responses so far.

Leg presses also for leg strength to help you stay low.

Serve and receive drills for this are good as Illia mentioned. And I would add In-Out multiball drills would also really help because you get to practice the specific actions that cause you to come up.

For me, what got me to start staying lower was when I felt what being low gave my strokes and power. Which caused me not to want to be too high to impact the ball in my power zone. I still could get lower. But as an old geezer I find my body doesn't like it. Hahaha.

One last thing: you use the word memorize. Perhaps that is not what you mean so don't worry too much about this. When you get this into your body's muscle memory, you should not have to be thinking about it. So it is not about mind or memory with your head. In training, you do use your mind to get your body into a better position. But at a certain point you should not have to think about it and your body should know what to do and do it without you having to think about it. So you can focus on other aspects of play.

Sent from the Oracle of Delphi by the Pythia

This user has no status.
dont dismiss wall sits and squats (feet close, feet far apart, toes forward,toes v shaped).

the problem is it is uncomfortable for you to sustain the position because your muscles havent strengthened enough yet. So train them and develop them in the way conducive to tt development.

Having a background in basketball, my problem was similar to yours, and my toes tend to be forward facing (like timo boll), so ive had to work harder to develop lateral crab-like movement (like xu xin)

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Thanks for all responses - very helpfull. In fact yesterday I had some pain in my calves and my position was worse then ever and I Lost all matches, but in the end I tried to focus on my position and started to play Even lower then usual and I loved my strokes which had more power and spin. The only thing was I did not care enough about other aspects. But that made me start thinking about learning good position all the time.
I wrote memorize about the legs, of the legs remember to keep correct position all the time - one problem less.
thanks again.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
dont dismiss wall sits and squats (feet close, feet far apart, toes forward,toes v shaped).

the problem is it is uncomfortable for you to sustain the position because your muscles havent strengthened enough yet. So train them and develop them in the way conducive to tt development.

Having a background in basketball, my problem was similar to yours, and my toes tend to be forward facing (like timo boll), so ive had to work harder to develop lateral crab-like movement (like xu xin)

I was also playing basketball for many years. Now since I am 38 years old and do not play tt as much as I would like it is hard for me to keep good Shape. I will try these exercises. Thanks