Go for those nets and edges!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 3 reviews
Hi, this is my first topic on here and i have a question for you all. When i play against an opponent and they manage to hit a net or an edge, i try my best to return the ball and even find that i often manage to win the point. However i get extremely frustrated when i come across many league players who choose to not to attempt to return the ball following a net or edge so my question is.... What do you do in this situation?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Firstly, I guess it depends on the judgement of whether it is possible to save it or not. Secondly, whether the point is important (in a match, or just practice). Thirdly, whether you will hurt yourself if you try to do so.

And fourthly, if you will hurt your racket.

Anyway, I gotta fight for every point, even if I hurt my racket. It's called a game because you have to play, you don't have to sit and get mad because your opponent has been a little lucky.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Nov 2010
I think I am pretty good at getting nets and edges back. My opponents seem to get so many. The unfortunate part is that even if I get them back on the table the returns are usually not strong enough to keep my opponent from hitting a winner on his next stroke. I have to hope he misses. Sometimes he does but most often he doesn't.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Come on. Recovering from tricky situations can bring a lot of fun and excitement, something worth playing for!

i tend to get in position to do my stroke before it hits the edge. so when it ticks the edge and continues to go down i don't see myself going from my looping stroke to a dive.

nets are another story, i always try for those.

Reactions: Kokain
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
One of the guys who taught me a lot, the Infamous Edmund Suen, when he trained me, he would hit nets purposely to make me learn to fight for them and adjust to them. Good training. You have to be ready for everything. There are a few times where I have gotten edges and managed to adjust to them and made what I felt were remarkable shots. Not many. But the few you get are worth it. And it is always worth trying for every ball.

Reactions: Suga D and Cornel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
I recently had an opponent hit a shot and it bounced on the back edge. I swatted at it awkwardly, it hit off the edge of my racket, and cleared the net and hit the side edge on his side - my point. If you don't try, you don't get those kinds of memories.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
I recently had an opponent hit a shot and it bounced on the back edge. I swatted at it awkwardly, it hit off the edge of my racket, and cleared the net and hit the side edge on his side - my point. If you don't try, you don't get those kinds of memories.

you're saying it bounced on the back edge. i go for these, i'm imagining edge balls as when it goes downward still.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
One of the guys who taught me a lot, the Infamous Edmund Suen, when he trained me, he would hit nets purposely to make me learn to fight for them and adjust to them. Good training. You have to be ready for everything. There are a few times where I have gotten edges and managed to adjust to them and made what I felt were remarkable shots. Not many. But the few you get are worth it. And it is always worth trying for every ball.

Yeah, this happens, I remind me of a brutal sidespin shot that I produced when I played a defender.. He chopped huge backspin from back of the court and he hit edge of the table.. I already resigned to be honest, when I saw the amount of spin, I said to myself that I have probably no chance of hiting that ball back, but then the ball caught the edge and all my movemend got disturbed and .. well instead of fault I hit some brutal sidespin shot and my opponent was so surprised it was my point. In fact I think even if he would try to hit that ball, there was so much spin he wouldnt be able to do a thing, lol :)
But yeah, this happens.
I am one of those players who get many nets and edges compared to others - but I have been told, that this is probably my fault - my game causes those things to me. So when I meet a player who keep having luck, I try to change something in my game to prevent it. Mostly it helps, but not always..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
What Shuki said Minkin, if you are an aggressive player you tend to start swinging before the ball arrives, you are busy on your technique so if the ball hits an edge your arm is already in motion and you ain't recovering from that son. If you are a leisure table tennis player, who normally replies based on whats happening at the last second, then yes I agree you can try save high/low edges etc. So as it has been already covered, nets yes (because it actually works most of the time) edges no.

Reactions: Shuki
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
[emoji106] shuki and kokain.
"Train insane or stay the same"
A high level of play will always always..on every hit on the ball, " instict" should always always recover and reposition himself for the next incoming ball, square himself back at a stable stance where in if the ball is so fast he should have that perfect timing to make that small swing to give a good gaze or if the incoming ball is slow a better stronger return.
Common mistake we see players is that if they encounter a diffcult.. an unbelievable shot which they manage to get tru the other side they tend to watch that shot and forgot to focus on footwork and recovery.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
I try for everything as long as it is safe for my racket. Never had a situation in an important match where I've had to decide between my racket and the point :)

Due to my finance situation, its similar with me ;-)