dynamic table tennis - has anyone tried?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
hello ttd members
ive recently bumped into a very intersting video of Brian Pace called "dynamic table tennis", which concentrate about the importance and benefits of shadow training and cardio erobic muscles strengthning for advancing your game and abilities on the table.

there is also an interview he does with Ben Larcombe on Ben's Podcast which I have also heard not a while ago.
http://experttabletennis.us5.list-m...79bf328b7c4ae52515&id=0d5f12c0f6&e=cc8ad575d0

my question is- has anyone tried this kind of training? is it really an improving method that is worth taking into sessions concideration?
I would really like to hear more about this subject as it caught my attention and brought many question marks into my mind.

thanks for the commets, as always they are very well aprreciated!

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Actually I would like to try it out when I heard about it. But I don't really have any place to test it out at. Because I would have a hard time to do it in public and I don't think I can do it at home ^^

Reactions: guybr50 and bobpuls
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
This brian is one of my favorite.... And im realy thinking to go to do thys type of training... But im to shy to try it where people are near by....but i think it helps..... And i trus in it..... Only to find place to go acording to it.

Reactions: guybr50
This user has no status.
I also didn't take too serious the shadow training until my coach told me that I must do it before training. He also told me that this will help me to improve my footwork(because i am able to pay more attention to this while doing shadow training) and will make me to get used to different loop combinations in matchplay(ex. FH loop - FH loop - BH loop - FH loop - BH loop) that I will execute better.

In the beginning I was also shy to do this, but what I have to do if my coach told me to do shadow training and he watches me? :D
Some people may ask what are you doing but it's really nothing wrong to do shadow training, and you will get used after 5 minutes.

Reactions: guybr50 and Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
shadow training is very good especially if you can focus hitting an imaginary ball. If you focus 100 % then the brain cannot tell the difference and its almost similiar situation to it like it is acutally playing the game. Gotta love the mind games

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I bought the video - it is pretty intense. It is almost impossible to keep up with Brian. Also, he won't improve your form - it will mostly be an exercise of your existing form and understanding. That said, it will develop your cardio base for your existing technique.

Last edited:
I have used shadow training in MA to great effect.

Some say that its a good way to get the muscles prepared (warmed up) for the activity that they are about to perform just in a much less intense way, but for me personally it was all about muscle memory and technique familiarisation :) Both of these "burn" the process into the brain so that it becomes an almost second nature action.

Also if you think about forms (patterns) in MA, this is essentially shadow training too and a combination of the techniques to assist with transition between them.

I've just looked at the video and I agree with what NextLevel says in that this particular video looks intense, however the concepts are definitely worth a shot even if done at a lower intensity?

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I don't know about Brian's drills. I am sure they would be good. He is a pretty good coach. He knows what he is doing. But anyone who knows basic footwork drills can come up with loads of shadow stroke and footwork drills on their own. Of course guidance from someone who knows what he's doing is worth it. Even if you adapt the exercises after you know them.

I have been using shadow strokes and shadow footwork drills for quite a while. Without a question, I know they help. Here is no two ways around that.

You can use them to help your cardio endurance, your strength, upper body/lower body cross coordination. That last one in that list is a big one that stops a lot of people from being able to do footwork well.

You can also use shadow strokes the help correct aspects of stroke mechanics. Getting the coordination to do a good stroke and good footwork coordinated with each other. But this is part of what I was referring to with the phrase "upper body/lower body cross coordination".

It is interesting how you start to be able to do things you didn't think you would be able to do.

But, personally, I do them because it's fun. I know, I am strange. But if I am somewhere without a table I can still do stuff that is table tennis related.

I actually like doing shadow drills in front of a mirror so I can see and correct my form as I do them.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Last edited:
Reactions: Kokain
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
"I've just looked at the video and I agree with what NextLevel says in that this particular video looks intense, however the concepts are definitely worth a shot even if done at a lower intensity?" -
I would say so yes, also don't imagine when you start doing this it will look casual and less intense than Brian. It's a cardio, he isn't tensing up, he can probably do this for hours like a marathon. Thats another secret of table tennis and getting your touch...going numb and powering through repetitive burning sensation. Do you really think when a boxer does those super fast boxing overhang (thing, what the hell is it called?) he is incredibly quick and tensing up? No he is like super relaxed and just relying on motion and momentum which on camera makes it look like incredibly quick.
What TableTennisDynamic did was sat in front of a computer, loaded up youtube, saw P90X and HIIT, and figured yeah I can make money out of this, easy, just combine the same HIIT exercise with table tennis motions. If his paid vids become success in few years I can predict ver.2 DVD come out with people in the background like 3 sexy women with hot abs and couple of fitness buffs doing forehand swings and Brian sitting next to them and shouting "Keep it tight yo, keep it tight! just few more seconds, you feel it?" "Forehand, forehand, forehand, and switch, backhand, backhand, backhand, there we go, there we go, now Ma Long, Ma Long, left, left, left, Ma Long, keep it up just few more seconds....and fat Waldner style....well done everyone take a break"

Anyway, his tutorials are good and general (not too in depth) I say, they teach you good exercises and possibly correct breathing technique to stop you from tensing up. Like Carl said, you can easily just download a HIIT training session and combine it with your own table tennis moves.

The most popular tutorials for tennis right now seems to be TableTennisDynamics vs TTEdge

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
"Keep it tight yo, keep it tight! just few more seconds, you feel it?" "Forehand, forehand, forehand, and switch, backhand, backhand, backhand, there we go, there we go, now Ma Long, Ma Long, left, left, left, Ma Long, keep it up just few more seconds....and fat Waldner style....well done everyone take a break"

LOL. Good post through and through. Der_Echte, he beat you to the humor side of this thread. Not many people do that.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Reactions: Kokain