TableTennisDaily sponsors team in British League

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
NOW LIVE: Cardiff City TTC TableTennisDaily Team are now live in the prem British League! You can watch the matches throughout the day live here: https://www.periscope.tv/w/1LyxBpNjQPjGN

TableTennisDaily has partnered with Cardiff City Table Tennis Club. The team currently competes in the Premier British League. TableTennisDaily will follow the team's progress in their campaign at the highest level of British Table Tennis.

Watch the video below of the team in action in their first round of matches.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FojmLbqw8Xw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

The table as it stands can be found in the link below. All the results for each team can be seen be clicking the team name and following the link.

https://tabletennis365.com/BritishLeague/Tables/Seniors_2015-16/Premier_Division_2015-16

Cardiff City are currently 7th in the table in the relegation zone. However, the next match is against London Academy who are level on points in 6th place. A win here would put Cardiff above London Academy and out of the relegation zone.

Stay tuned for updates on the team and results from the British League.

cardiffteamtabletennisdaily.jpg

Administrator
Oct 2010
it's seems to be at the same level to "Pro A" (or Pro B) in France, could you tell us about world rating of those players ?

Yes I think the British League has got a lot stronger this year. It's hard to tell how similar the level is in comparison to Pro A or Pro B but this is some of the players in the Prem British League:

- Darius Knight
- Johan Hagberg
- Xiaoxun Wu
- Viktor Gorman
- Petko Gabrovski
- David Mcbeath

I have been told that Paul Drinkhall and He Zhi Wen have signed up for teams to! I will confirm this shortly :)

Administrator
Oct 2010
He Zhi Wen was amazing today! Players were saying how difficult his serves are to return. @Tom will reply shortly he is just playing in his last match.

Patrick Thomas (photo below) of Cardiff City Table Tennis Club TableTennisDaily Team

12494898_10153501361074332_2467957300423143907_n.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
it's seems to be at the same level to "Pro A" (or Pro B) in France, could you tell us about world rating of those players ?
Yes I think the British League has got a lot stronger this year. It's hard to tell how similar the level is in comparison to Pro A or Pro B but this is some of the players in the Prem British League:

- Darius Knight
- Johan Hagberg
- Xiaoxun Wu
- Viktor Gorman
- Petko Gabrovski
- David Mcbeath

I have been told that Paul Drinkhall and He Zhi Wen have signed up for teams to! I will confirm this shortly :)

Yes, with Drinkhall and He it looks much stronger this year. And exciting! :)

To put the rest in some kind of perspective I offer this:

Hagberg, Görman and the third Swede Gustaf Ericson are all ranked between 73 and 89 in Sweden. Hagberg and Ericson has played in the second division whereas Görman played the third table in the Elite division in 2014. He played together with Darius Knight in Österlen that season. Darius was let go halfway through the season after an undeniable lack of success.

I think Görman at his very best is probably a third table player in Sweden's Elite division, but the others are probably more like solid second division players. Perhaps this is some kind of pointer as to where the British League is qualitywise in Europe at the moment.

However, I will say with certainty that the British League is nowhere near French Pro A in quality. I'd say it's a toss up between Germany and France for the best league in Europe with the Russian League a step behind. After that it's another step or two down to the Swedish, Austrian and Polish leagues and another skip to the Belgian and Italian leagues. After that, we may have the British League along with the Danish and Spanish leagues.

This is of course my own personal opinion, so I'm sure people will disagree. :)

Last edited:

Tom

This user has no status.

Tom

This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 7 reviews
Hey vvk1, first off I have to say it was very very hard to play HZW earlier today! The hardest thing for me was his services, they had a lot of spin as you would expect but it was the speed of the serves which made it difficult to return well.

His placement and control in the point is also incredible, you almost never get a chance to play the shower you want or be in the right position. He was way too strong for me but great experience, luckily I won another match later in the afternoon against a Bulgarian player to make me feel better ;)

This user has no status.
Yes, with Drinkhall and He it looks much stronger this year. And exciting! :)

To put the rest in some kind of perspective I offer this:

Hagberg, Görman and the third Swede Gustaf Ericson are all ranked between 73 and 89 in Sweden. Hagberg and Ericson has played in the second division whereas Görman played the third table in the Elite division in 2014. He played together with Darius Knight in Österlen that season. Darius was let go halfway through the season after an undeniable lack of success.

I think Görman at his very best is probably a third table player in Sweden's Elite division, but the others are probably more like solid second division players. Perhaps this is some kind of pointer as to where the British League is qualitywise in Europe at the moment.

However, I will say with certainty that the British League is nowhere near French Pro A in quality. I'd say it's a toss up between Germany and France for the best league in Europe with the Russian League a step behind. After that it's another step or two down to the Swedish, Austrian and Polish leagues and another skip to the Belgian and Italian leagues. After that, we may have the British League along with the Danish and Spanish leagues.

This is of course my own personal opinion, so I'm sure people will disagree. :)

I think I agree with this. The British League is weak in comparison to most other European leagues. However, the standard is rising rapidly. I think within a few more seasons the standard will increase dramatically. The league is undergoing a massive transformation at the moment with an injection of more prize money and a home and away format. Aiming to make the league more professional. As a British player I'm really excited to see what happens in the next few seasons.

P.S C'mon Cardiff City TTC!!!!!!