Playing conditions

Hi All,

I apologise in advance if this ends up sounding really crazy....

I am a recreational League Player (as in I only play low level league matches due to time constraints with no "official" coaching or practice time) and have just moved into my 3rd season of playing TT and I wondered if I am just too inconsistent or if something really is going on?

I find that when I play in certain venues and the room temperature is on the low side (where I have to blow on my hands to keep them warm :(), I find the shots that I am playing to have a different result than I expected or what I have had in the past playing what I think is the same shot.

I know that rubber has different characteristics when cold so I assume that this carries over into the TT world too ?

This is what I would like to know though......

Is there a different technique I need to apply in these colder situations? (and I suppose the opposite in summer ?)
Is there something I can do to keep the rubbers warmer ? Any tips or tricks ?

Am I just being inconsistent or is there some sense to my madness ?

Many thanks in advance.

Hi Reaper,

I play about 66 hours of TT per year and as I am 1/2 way through my 3rd season that works out to approximately 165 hours of TT from a first playing the game, so forgive the obvious question :)....

What kind of adjustments do I need to make and to what kind of shot ?

For example, if I am playing a top spin shot, do I open or close the racket angle ? Is it that simple or is it way more complicated as most things seem to be with TT ??

Thanks.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I actually like it when it is a bit cooler in the room. But where I live, it is rare.

This user has no status.
Yea it does. I fly between EU and Asia for holidays and usually gets to play right before and after the flight so its pretty easy to make comparisons. Balls fly waaaay slower in Asia and they tend to drop faster after the 2nd bounce.

Balls behave different in different venues in the UK too. We once lost an match to Derby uni for that. The ball flies so fast there with a much higher arc and none of us could get used to it in time before we lost

This user has no status.
Hi Reaper,

I play about 66 hours of TT per year and as I am 1/2 way through my 3rd season that works out to approximately 165 hours of TT from a first playing the game, so forgive the obvious question :)....

What kind of adjustments do I need to make and to what kind of shot ?

For example, if I am playing a top spin shot, do I open or close the racket angle ? Is it that simple or is it way more complicated as most things seem to be with TT ??

Thanks.

I can't give you much advice, i only played a few hours on a gym with air conditioning and i noticed the ball would drop on topspins, it behaved like a 1-star celluloid ball... all i could do is be more gentle and precise in the loops and pushes so it wouldn't go long.

As the rubber being affected, well just pretend is another rubber

sorry i'm not being much helpful on that matter

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Rubbers and sponge whose temp has dropped to anything like 10 Celcius or lower really perform crappy. The rubber topsheet loses a lot of elasticity, and the cold rubber trying to warm up becomes a little slicker than it would be if it was a 25 C warm room temperature.

So basically, the topsheet, and the sponge to a degree are not so dynamic and it really affects Ur shots.

I open up my shirt on he bottom and put each side of blade on my warm belly for 10 second intervals, also use cheeks or anything that is warm. Wipe off topsheet with hand brush stroks and good to go.