Kicker or float, what is it?

This user has no status.
so kick is a topspin derived phenomenon, i wouldnt call that a kick more of a missread but hey tom a to tom ay to?

basically a kicker or kick server is a topspin serve derived, in this slow mo you can see he hits the ball topspin bu then moves the bat very quickly downward, so the reciver expects a backspin serve, this makes him open his bat to push back the backspin as backspin draws the ball downward upon contact. Instead he finds it has topspin, the open bat angle and the fact topspin throws the ball upwards gives a much longer return which misses the table.

float is easy to see its where a heavy backspin ball seems to slowly move through the air forever without falling. typically in a situation with a mis-read serve if it comes high or misses long they either expected more backspin than was put on or expected backspin on a topspin ball, if its in the net then the opposite is true they didnt expect such a quantity of backspin

Reactions: bobpuls
This user has no status.
so kick is a topspin derived phenomenon, i wouldnt call that a kick more of a missread but hey tom a to tom ay to?

basically a kicker or kick server is a topspin serve derived, in this slow mo you can see he hits the ball topspin bu then moves the bat very quickly downward, so the reciver expects a backspin serve, this makes him open his bat to push back the backspin as backspin draws the ball downward upon contact. Instead he finds it has topspin, the open bat angle and the fact topspin throws the ball upwards gives a much longer return which misses the table.

float is easy to see its where a heavy backspin ball seems to slowly move through the air forever without falling. typically in a situation with a mis-read serve if it comes high or misses long they either expected more backspin than was put on or expected backspin on a topspin ball, if its in the net then the opposite is true they didnt expect such a quantity of backspin
lol to move the bat up and then down so fast that slowmo can barely catch it is not really a feasible explanation. To get backspin u brush underneath the ball not perpendicular to the table. This is just a really fast nospin serve IMO.

This user has no status.
lol to move the bat up and then down so fast that slowmo can barely catch it is not really a feasible explanation. To get backspin u brush underneath the ball not perpendicular to the table. This is just a really fast nospin serve IMO.
i would agree, i would have said no spin from slowmo but he said kicker! and topspin kicks, no spin well it does nothing! i went with waht was described rather than my own eyes, you're probbaly correct!
he still missed because he expected backspin and there was no pull down effect though?
i think i might also have misread the title, i thought it was more of an ask what a kicker and backspin was with a video to help rather than the exact serve on second(or third) read
making you i think.
on the money!

This user has no status.
i would agree, i would have said no spin from slowmo but he said kicker! and topspin kicks, no spin well it does nothing! i went with waht was described rather than my own eyes, you're probbaly correct!
he still missed because he expected backspin and there was no pull down effect though?
i think i might also have misread the title, i thought it was more of an ask what a kicker and backspin was with a video to help rather than the exact serve on second(or third) read
making you i think.
on the money!
yea maybe he might have expected something else but it certainly looks like he wasn't ready for a fast serve. The opponent did know it wasn't backspin because he set his bat up for a push and he didnt try to lift 'backspin'. Basically i think he got rekt by trying to anticipate a serve instead of reading it and reacting lol. Oh ye I'm curious about maybe trying out chinese rubbers. How is hurricane 3 working out for you :D

This user has no status.
yea maybe he might have expected something else but it certainly looks like he wasn't ready for a fast serve. The opponent did know it wasn't backspin because he set his bat up for a push and he didnt try to lift 'backspin'. Basically i think he got rekt by trying to anticipate a serve instead of reading it and reacting lol. Oh ye I'm curious about maybe trying out chinese rubbers. How is hurricane 3 working out for you :D
Really well, but then I started on 729, moved to soft 729, then to and h3 neo and only used euro rubbers for less than a year. The 3 50 is probably my favorite but they all have their own weaknesses