New helping tool for shadow drills found

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Hello everyone,

i just accidentally bumped into this video.
It looks pretty promising to me and seems to be very helpful in building up 'muscle-memory'.

Have you ever seen this before? What do you think?

Please feel free to share your thoughts, especially the coaches.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
I can't give the link from the top of my head, but a few months ago I saw a reportage on the Chinese national team, where they talked about each player and their strengths and weaknesses. There was young fitness coach who elaborated on their fitness training, and there were few episodes where CNT players were using things like in your video.

Reactions: Suga D
says Where will table tennis be in the future? And what ideas...
says Where will table tennis be in the future? And what ideas...
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Yes that is awesome, shadow play is very important especially if you cant train as often as youd like, very interesting to see this idea with the band because it also would help build stability in a developing players stroke so the technique of the shot will stay in place more and over time the muscles will not fatigue as much. And i think the most important thing is the more stability you build the greater margin for errors

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I can't give the link from the top of my head, but a few months ago I saw a reportage on the Chinese national team, where they talked about each player and their strengths and weaknesses. There was young fitness coach who elaborated on their fitness training, and there were few episodes where CNT players were using things like in your video.

That's interesting. Thanks. If you'll ever find that reportage again, it would be nice if you can post it here. I'll try to crawl the web for it meanwhile.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
This is what I think: that is cool.

Adding resistance to the strokes in shadow practice could be very beneficial: especially in younger players who don't have as much of the muscle development yet, or for female players who need some extra strength. Ideally the resistance to the arm would be from the exact direction of the stroke which would actually change through the stroke rather than being from a constant place.

How could you get that kind of resistance directly opposing the movement? A simple idea: do it under water. A swimming pool, at the part where the water is a height where, once you are in your stance, the water is just about the height of your shoulders. The neat thing is, the water would also resist the movement of the legs and the rotation of the hips. Unfortunately having the luxury to do that kind of thing in a pool with the water the exact right height is probably not as easy as paying and training someone to hold the bungee chord.

Another idea for resistance for shadow strokes that would be pretty simple would be a racket that weighed 300-400 grams total weight; so, approximately 2 times heavier than a standard racket.

I used to do shadow drills with a 3 lb weight that was shaped like a disk and called a "SmartBell". It doesn't duplicate holding the grip of the racket though.

One more detail, you wouldn't want to do too much of the resistance version if you were an adult and already fairly strong.

For an adult who is already decently strong but not fast enough, the shadow training done as fast as you could while maintaining good form would be more useful for developing speed, reset and reaction time.

Next time I get to do my shadow training I am going to have to have someone film a small part of it so you can see how I roll! [emoji2][emoji236]

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Reactions: Paccheco and Suga D
This user has no status.
Yeah i already used that thing 10 years ago. but it is also depending that the one who is holding the rubber string is doing the exercise right. At the beginning of the stroke he has to generate for you more resistance and in the last 1/3 of the stroke he has to let go that you are accelerating heavily. If you did that for some minutes you have unbelievable good acceleration in your stroke afterwards.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Thanks for sharing, your thoughts, everyone. First time i've seen this used also was from the CNT.
I saw it a lot on all kinds of other sports, too but not TT. I really like to try that.

But Carl's idea with the aqua-shadow-boxing also sounds quite nice.
I think i'll try that as well. :)

Thanks again

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl