Tenergy 05-FX arc vs 05 arc

Hi all,

A month ago I bought a Timo Boll ZLF and glued a 1.7 Tenergy 05-FX red for my forehand. At first I didn’t like it too much: it felt harder and less spinny than I expected (I know it’s my technique and not the rubber, yes). But I also felt it unexpectedly low-throw. For example, lifting backspin has become very hard for me. Butterfly’s video on Tenergy says FX versions have lower throw that normal ones but… so much? (05 is supposed to be high-throw). The rubber developed a small crack in the ball contact area and will have to be changed soon so I don’t know what to do: going normal 05? (I’m afraid it could be too hard or fast for me) Trying a thicker 05-FX like 1.9? Mistakes with Tenergies are costly.

Yazaka’s video on Rakza rubbers also confounds me because they claim soft versions have higher throw than normal ones… does that make sense or every rubber -Tenergy vs Rakza in this case- is different?

Your feedback is very much appreciated!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If you are using Tenergy, why would you choose 1.7 sponge? If you are using such a thin sponge, surely there are rubbers that are much less expensive and better for you.

Do you loop. What are the main things you do in your game? In other words, what is your play style?

If you are using Tenergy, why would you choose 1.7 sponge? If you are using such a thin sponge, surely there are rubbers that are much less expensive and better for you.

Do you loop. What are the main things you do in your game? In other words, what is your play style?

Thanks for your reply. I’m a recreational player who plays with gear slightly faster than he should to kill his tendency to play defensively and force himself to attack much more. It has worked very well and now I am far more aggresive and competitive (within my level) than ever. So, my ‘style’ tries to be based on a good serve, play on the table as short as possible and mainly with my BH, and finish the point with fast top-spin FH attacks. I am not a good player at all but know how table tennis is played: I was a federated umpire during two years during the late ‘80s.

Replying to your questions:

- Why 1.7 Tenergies? I’ve been playing mainly 1.7-1.8 rubbers for all my playing life. I come from the times when Sriver was offered from 1.0 to max, and 1.7 was more or less the midpoint of the range. It also gives me a reference when comparing different rubbers, and when I’ve tried 2.0-2.1 -never tried max- I had less feeling than I like. I’ve played only 10 hours now with my 1.7 sheet and now I find it enjoyable, fast but controlable, but my surprise is how flat my usual FH shots have become. In that time I have adapted my movements, but I need a very fast swing and cannot lift backspin easily. I’ve played with Evolutions (MX-P and FX-P), Aurus Soft and Sound, Sinus Sound and Nimbus Sound, all in 1.7-1.8, and didn’t have that issue. To be honest, they are probably uncommon but if 1.7 Tenergies were nonsense, I think Butterfly wouldn’t offer them, would it? I know Tenergies are expensive, but now only 5-10 € more than mainstream rubbers of similar characteristics.

- Do I loop? Yes, I do. Not as well as I would like but… such is life. I wouldn’t complain about problems lifting backspin otherwise, would I?

Going back to my questions:

- If I go to 1.9, should my arc be a little higher?. If not, would 05 give me more arc without becoming much faster? Butterfly gives 05 and 05-FX the same speed score
- On more general terms, do softer sponges give higher throw as Yazaka claims, lower as Butterfly claims, or every rubber is different?

1.7 for an offensive player isnt the best choice. With Tenergies I would say go for 2.1, 1.9 for more control.

Thanks. You may be right, even if that thickness is offered I haven't seen many people using it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Well, i've played with all offered thicknesses of Tenergy05 and only had a couple of hits with t05fx but i mainly use it on BH and i must say the difference between 1.7 and 1.9 is noteable but not that huge.
The thing is with thinner sponges the chances are fairly higher for the rubber to 'bottom' out and feel the wood if one hits hard.
That being said, like most players i don't hit as hard on BH like i hit on FH, so chances for my BH-rubber for bottoming out are slightly smaller.
If you use it on FH i agree with the others and can only recommend 1.9 minimum.

But i've made the same experience. With 1.7 the arc is noteable flatter than with 1.9
I didn't have this with other rubbers, like e.g. Bluefire M3 and M2.

Maybe it's the pip structure of Tenergies, since that's what seems to make the difference in the arc.

Last edited: