Set-up

This user has no status.
Hi all.

I know it is a while before I will be getting the new set-up, however I want to know how much it will cost and just to get a head start. I will be buying it probably around June. Right now I am using Stratus power wood with vega japan and vega europe. I have been playing for around 4/5 years. I am an offensive player who likes to attack the third ball (quite early into the rally). I can loop heavy backspin, however there at times where I just don't get enough on it to get it over the net. Both Backhand and FH. I know why it happens. As I don't go all the way with my stroke at times. So it is just something to practice and I will improve that. I play close to mid table.

I am thinking of getting better quality blade. E.g I am thinking of Viscaria, Carbonado 190/145. Would these blades suit my style of play? They seem fine when I read the reviews. About the rubbers. I am not sure if I will stay with the same ones or change. The Japan (FH) is pretty good in my opinion, however I might get like the Omega V for the FH or possibly MX-P. I am not fan of tenergies. About the BH if the Vega Europe DF will be out I possibly will get that.

Would these rubbers suite with these blades? Any questions just ask.

Bolt

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The last time you went through this process, that was quite a long thread.

What about trying out the equipment of everyone you play with. Then you get to try out and see what you will actually want.

As far as loops going into the net, I know, it often seems like you know what you are doing wrong and you may actually know, but working with a decent coach will help you improve that fast.

I know, when I used to struggle looping backspin it had more to do with the trajectory and arc I chose. These days, if my feet are in place, I can loop anything no matter how much spin it has. If my feet are not in the right place, well, then my chances are a little less. But I can still loop a lot of balls when my feet are not where they should be.

Part of why is, choosing a good arc. When my feet are in place, if the ball is about the hight of the net, I can blast it with a flatter angle, I can give it a medium arc or I could give the ball a high arc with a ton of spin. If the ball is lower than the net when I take it, I have to arc it. And if the ball is heavy or my feet are out of position, or both, then I am going to choose a high arc to spin the ball onto the table. This is pretty safe. And my high arc has enough spin that people my level just are not going to get it on the table. A player two levels up will have a little trouble with the first one because they won't expect quite as much spin from someone my level. But, after that, they will adjust.

Anyway, what I am actually saying is, perhaps you need to learn how to give your loops a higher arc.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Reactions: NextLevel
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
And if what I said is true, and even if it is not true, then using the carbon blades you are thinking of will probably be a mistake. It would be better for you to use the Primorac Off- you are already used to, or a Petr Korbel blade. Maybe a Stiga Clipper.

The Clipper is in the range of too fast for you. But it sounds like you are wanting to go in that direction anyway. So, at least the Clipper would have excellent feeling.

But, if you really wanted what was best for your game and you don't like the handle on the Stratus Power Wood than one of these blades would still be better for you than the ones you are considering.

1) Primorac Off-
2) Yasaka Sweden Extra
3) Stiga Allround Evolution
4) OSP Vituoso Off-
5) Nittaku Acoustic

Of course you are a big boy and can decide what you want for yourself.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hi all.

I know it is a while before I will be getting the new set-up, however...(())... I am thinking of getting better quality blade. E.g I am thinking of Viscaria, Carbonado 190/145. Would these blades suit my style of play? They seem fine when I read the reviews. Bolt

Hmmm. You want a BETTER quality blade than the TPW... For its category, an all wood blade with control, feel, and enough power to finish points... the blades out there that are "Better" (a poor word) are not really "Better" by a whole lot.

Maybe instead of better, you want something with similar feel and little more power, not a whole lot more, just one level, like going from ALL+ to OFF- range (yes a blade can play in a wide range of speeds, that is why Tibhar shows a gage with the red showing range of play speed) and go to a OFF- to OFF range blade.

My current (Nexy designed and made for Korea market) Tibhar Kim Jung Hoon 7 ply all wood blade is such a blade.

Just about EVERY equipment manufacturer makes one or more of these blades, example BTY with its 7 ply Timo Boll branded blade, Nittaku Ludaek and Accoustic, Nexy makes several - Peter Pan, new to market Higgs, the ORIGINAL old Clipper from Stiga...

Don't really need to write every one down in history, I think you are angling towards a similar feeling blade with a little more oomph, nothing wrong with that, our games evolve and more suitable equipment is required to better optimize play. Keep you same rubbers since you are used to them or replace if you have tried different ones and like them and win points using it from a borrowed bat of a club mate.

Reactions: Ilia Minkin
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
You wont see run among the crowd of...

" You gotta use only All Wood 5 ply..."

It is entirely possible, doesn't always happen, but possible, to construct a blade with carbon or other stuff and still have great feel and performance. Arirang, Kanaph, Calix II are several blades that retain good feel and dwell, plus have a lower and higher gear.

I have played same level using all of those, one (Kanaph has top end of OFF+ class)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Buy a tacky chinese rubber and train with that. Loops will be harder to execute but you will learn the right technique. Even Kristian Karlsson said that he used chinese rubber to improve his forehand.

I don't see any problem with the Powerwood. A new blade won't help drastically. If you are comfortable with the Powerwood, don't change until you find your Ms. Right.

Reactions: Rayeez
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Yey I am a big boy ;) Primorac off- is nice, however, I want something different so I will consider the other options. I still have few months before buying this new set-up so I will see how my looping goes and I will still consider like the Viscaria.

I know what you mean. I only used OFF-/OFF blades so I don't really wanna go to OFF+ so the Viscaria or carbonado 190 is my choice for now. I possibly used the wrong words.

if you don't want advice why ask. get a viscaria or a carbonado if thats what you've set your mind on.

Reactions: NextLevel