Can anyone give me any coaching on my long pimple chopping?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
I'm not a chopper, but what I notice is that when the best choppers do a BH stroke, they start quite high, almost from their shoulders and have a pretty long stroke. I guess it allows them to add up more spin?

487397191-seo-hyowon-of-south-korea-returns-a-shot-gettyimages.jpg

dsc_0066.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Ruth is just amazing....I'm a fan :D

She's not a bad player! Weakest on our team of 6 but she tries hard! All out attacker... quite literally. She is a lower end of the division. Around a40% win average player.
She has had so much practise against chopping so shes very good at returning it!!

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
I'm not a chopper, but what I notice is that when the best choppers do a BH stroke, they start quite high, almost from their shoulders and have a pretty long stroke. I guess it allows them to add up more spin?

487397191-seo-hyowon-of-south-korea-returns-a-shot-gettyimages.jpg

dsc_0066.jpg

Yes you could be right! Thank you. It seems they do have a longer stroke. I will have to adopt this and see if it has a positive effect!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
Ruth is just great! :)
But. I think for your defense to improve - you need a stronger opponent. As I see it, the situation is like this: the topspins are slow and not very powerfull so you don't have to really chop them with a long stroke (your stroke is short, you don't use your legs and body a lot). If the quality of topspins rises you will find it hard to control returning them with such a short stroke (or you won't be able to create a good amount of underspin).
So my advice in your situation is(when you don't have a powerful looper as a practice partner): try to send the ball as low to the net as you can(this can force you to flex more.. and is always good if the ball is low), and try to be more flexible(longer stroke, more body twist, think about your legs on every chop you make) when chopping. As my trainer always says: "a chopper must be like a cat". That's just my opinion and I hope it can be useful.

Reactions: ridderz65
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Ruth is just great! :)
But. I think for your defense to improve - you need a stronger opponent. As I see it, the situation is like this: the topspins are slow and not very powerfull so you don't have to really chop them with a long stroke (your stroke is short, you don't use your legs and body a lot). If the quality of topspins rises you will find it hard to control returning them with such a short stroke (or you won't be able to create a good amount of underspin).
So my advice in your situation is(when you don't have a powerful looper as a practice partner): try to send the ball as low to the net as you can(this can force you to flex more.. and is always good if the ball is low), and try to be more flexible(longer stroke, more body twist, think about your legs on every chop you make) when chopping. As my trainer always says: "a chopper must be like a cat". That's just my opinion and I hope it can be useful.

That is very useful. Thank you. I've been playing matches against more powerful topspinners and I do tend to find that i naturally cut the ball more and produce a longer stroke when facing the extra power.