Limit on blade customization

This user has no status.
Dear All,

Inspired by Der Echte Beast Mode, I want to have a super slow blade custom made for me.

Before that,

Just want to know, the extremes of customization We can do to Our blade without breaking ITTF laws. :)

Several ideas in mind,
- The non wood rule only mention thickness on blade, so, can we make iron handle?[emoji14]
- the 80 % wood rule, is that volume per volume?
- can we blend the wood to a pulp and cast it to blade shape?
- can we make the blade hollow inside like a drum or Swiss Cheese? I means the ball hitting part, not the handle.
- are non permanent attachment like grip tape or lead tape count as part of the blade, hence accounted to 80 % rule?
- may there any other ideas?

Sent from my T1X Plus using Tapatalk

Last edited:
says Aging is a killer
The regulation has worked so far .......

The ITTF regulation on blades is not technically precise but some people can't leave things alone.....

Just want to know, the extremes of customization We can do to Our blade without breaking ITTF laws. :)

Several ideas in mind,
- The non wood rule only mention thickness on blade, so, can we make iron handle?[emoji14]
I don't think you'll have a problem unless you use it as a weapon.

What's vol/vol?

I'd be very suspicious and so would the ITTF that sometning non-wood has been slipped in.

- can we make the blade hollow inside like a drum or Swiss Cheese? I means the ball hitting part, not the handle.
I don't see why not. I have seen this attempted in the past. The player may not getaway with hitting the side of the bat though.

- are non permanent attachment like grip tape or lead tape count as part of the blade, hence accounted to 80 % rule?
I have seen bats with grip tape all the time. As long as the lead tape is not noticeably thicker that normal sidetape, not a problem.

Is bamboo as a material OK? Some players have used bamboo bats in minor tournaments but it's not obvious at the usual umpire inspection. I don't think a referee would care at small tournaments but a major one, maybe not.
Can that half-liquid stuff that oozes from some trees be used as TT glue? It would be quite thick when dry, but is it then glue or wood?

Reactions: BeGo
Dear All,

Inspired by Der Echte Beast Mode, I want to have a super slow blade custom made for me.

Before that,

Several ideas in mind,

Sent from my T1X Plus using Tapatalk

1. I doubt you can make iron handle as handle is part of the blade which the law of 85% natural wood applied.
2. At least 85% of the blade by thickness shall be of natural wood and not 80%.
3. Non permanent attachment like grip tape or lead tape are not considered to be part of the blade.

Reactions: BeGo