Sponge for 999 Topsheet

This user has no status.
I play a spinny allround game and I essentially use all strokes equally, depending on situation and opponent. With loops I favor a relaxed stroke for control and consistency, so I really don't try to power past anyone unless it's an obvious shot. I am currently using Dawei 2008XP on a Dawei DW2 blade and really like it; however, I think I am ready for rubber with more spin and speed. With this rubber, I've been missing the short game spin of tacky rubber but I love the Euro feel in the looping game. All things considered, I want to try a hybrid rubber and have heard a lot of good and bad about Galaxy's hybrids (Moon Pro, Mercury II, Big Dipper). I have heard nothing but good about a 999 over a different sponge than the OEM, so I would like to try it. I've mostly seen instances where players use Quattro sponge, but do any of you have experience with Cannon or Lemon (38 degree, not 30 degree)? If you do, is there any noticeable difference in speed or spin? Does the bounciness of the sponge throw off the short game that 999 is known for? Also, does the sponge help to improve the 999 in loops? Sorry for the million questions, just trying to get a good idea of what I'm getting myself into. Thanks! :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Let me guess, you are considering ordering a custom rubber (topsheet+sponge) from Coles.tt? While I understand the appeal of such customization, may be you are better off first trying some of the 'hybrid' options you named already, since they are pretty cheap anyway? Differences are likely to be small compared to improvements you can get from working on your technique - folks close to USATT 2000 use 2008XP just fine.

This user has no status.
Let me guess, you are considering ordering a custom rubber (topsheet+sponge) from Coles.tt? While I understand the appeal of such customization, may be you are better off first trying some of the 'hybrid' options you named already, since they are pretty cheap anyway? Differences are likely to be small compared to improvements you can get from working on your technique - folks close to USATT 2000 use 2008XP just fine.

You are correct here, pgpg. My rationale was to try the cheapest option that I am somewhat familiar with. I used to use 999t on the OEM sponge and ditched it because it was too slow. The other hybrid options are more expensive than this and I have no familiarity with the topsheet either, so to me the 999t just made better sense. I know I need to be improving my technique, which I am every practice (10 hours/week). I know about the usefulness of 2008XP and I know my technique is responsible for about 95% of my performance, I'm not looking for a silver bullet here. I'm trying to use the advantages I gained when I switched to 2008XP while making up for some of the ground I lost switching away from 999t.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
You are correct here, pgpg. My rationale was to try the cheapest option that I am somewhat familiar with. I used to use 999t on the OEM sponge and ditched it because it was too slow. The other hybrid options are more expensive than this and I have no familiarity with the topsheet either, so to me the 999t just made better sense. I know I need to be improving my technique, which I am every practice (10 hours/week). I know about the usefulness of 2008XP and I know my technique is responsible for about 95% of my performance, I'm not looking for a silver bullet here. I'm trying to use the advantages I gained when I switched to 2008XP while making up for some of the ground I lost switching away from 999t.

Ah, I did not realize that custom combo is actually a bit cheaper compared to Big Dipper and such (not by much, but still...). Also, don't get me wrong - trying different things to understand what is out there is useful. Let us know how you like it.

This user has no status.
Well, I just ordered two sheets with the Air Lemon sponge. It'll be here either tomorrow or Thursday so we'll see how it does. I picked the Lemon sponge because it's got the larger pores and is supposed to be the easiest to sink the ball into. Since I don't really whack the ball too much it sounds like a good fit. I'll report back ASAP :cool:

This user has no status.
Well, I just ordered two sheets with the Air Lemon sponge. It'll be here either tomorrow or Thursday so we'll see how it does. I picked the Lemon sponge because it's got the larger pores and is supposed to be the easiest to sink the ball into. Since I don't really whack the ball too much it sounds like a good fit. I'll report back ASAP :cool:
Where did you order from?

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
999 is a half tacky topsheet. I have prolly gotten a dozen custom 999 rubbers from Cole over the years. He might be out of quattro sponge. The last couple came with Air sponge and they played fine.

999 is an excellent off control rubber with the right sponge.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: thekleifheit13
Nikoli, the 999 top sheet is pretty tacky but not unmanageable. It's more than H3N but I didn't find it nearly as tacky as everyone talks it up to be. Mine would hold a ball upside down for 2 seconds at best.

Thanks. That sounds like my type of tackiness. I suppose Colett glues the top sheet to the sponge himself? if so, when we tune the sponge, how does that affect the glue layer?

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Thanks. That sounds like my type of tackiness. I suppose Colett glues the top sheet to the sponge himself? if so, when we tune the sponge, how does that affect the glue layer?

I never really tried to boost this rubber, so I won't know how it holds up under tuner, prolly will do fine.

You can glue the rubber and take it off your blade several times no problem. If you want to try gluing the topsheet on your sponge by yourself, Cole will sell them separate so you can go at it too. I been there, did that and got the T-Shirt, Cole has a vid somewhere on his site fun to watch.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I use that Cole sourced 999 combo mainly in summer where it is really really humid. 999 won't get wet and slip like modern rubbers (cough cough TENERGY cough cough). No rubber on the planet is totally resistant to wet slip, but 999 is one of the last to slip. 999 is a great OFF control rubber for either wing.

This user has no status.
I actually used to use the Three-Nine Super 999T on OEM sponge on a 729 Bomb and remembered having problems in humidity; granted, I sweat enough to raise the humidity of even the biggest gym by 10% so that's probably a factor... Anyway, I tried this setup again today and it was livelier than I remember. I'm really excited to try it on a springier sponge. Just in case anyone's curious, I'll try to post pictures tomorrow when the rubber arrives and when I get it on the blade. I'm kind of debating whether to put it on the DW2 or the Bomb, honestly. Guess it'll be a game-time decision :)

This user has no status.
Well, due to a shipping error I didn't receive my rubbers til today. Unfortunately I'm in class at the moment but I'll rush home and get them ASAP. Due to an accident with my 2008XP (and my thumb...) the rubber will be going on my DW2 blade and I hope to play with it today at noon. Talk about excitement!

This user has no status.
The lemon sponge was an awesome idea! This is probably the spinniest rubber I've ever played and it has a lot more speed than anything I've tried as well. When I hit counter loops it was louder than my buddies' Tenergy. It is a little heavy so I may have to do the Beast Mod to balance my paddle out but nothing outrageous. The black rubber is so tacky that I almost couldn't get the film off though, hoping it dies down a bit since I usually use black for my backhand. Other than that, everything others have said is true. Love it.