Which Asics?

This user has no status.
Hi
I'm looking at a new shoe and really like Asics shoes.
i need something with more cushioning / support / protection than most of the thin table tennis shoes in order to protect my back from shock.
However, they still need to be flexible enough for table tennis sideways movement.
Ive been considering the: Gel Volley Elite 3 or the Gel Blast 4
Anyine tried these or any other Asics suggestions?
Thanks
Andy

This user has no status.
I've been using Gel Rocket 7 for almost a year now and I'm very happy with it. The only downside is that they are a little bit heavy, but that is fine for me.

Thank you
Yes they seem a good contender too. I don't mind them heavier either. It seems that volleyball shoes are a good match for table tennis shoes but cone with more support for the jumping such players have to do. That additional support is good for me to aid my back.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
You could try a different option that has worked me. Get a good table tennis shoe from Butterfly / Mizuno and then use a Dr. Schol's insert in the shoe. I have a bad knee but this has worked for me as well as the Gel based Asics shoe ( I have a Asics Dynamic DuoMax ) . I have used Asics Indoor Football / Volleyball shoes in the past. The problem with these is that that heels are too high for a table tennis shoe .

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
I found a store yesterday that had Asics Gel Rocket 7, so I had the chance to try them on, when I told the salesman that I wanted shoes for table tennis he recommended the Asics Gel-Beyond 4 and he told me he uses them for squash also volleyball.
I tried them on and to me they felt better then the Rocket 7 which felt kinda hard, Beyond 4 were more flexible little softer but with a lot of support, downside more expensive.
I bought the Beyond 4 and today I tried them playing table tennis, usually I wear Asics Gel Kayano which are running shoes, today with Beyond 4 I had a lot of grip it was easier to move and change direction, the support was very good for me I didn't had any problem or any pain with them at all.
Beyond 4 weight 352 grams size 45eu per shoe, Kayano 22 349 grams size 45eu per shoe, that might explain why it has so much support. Anyway they were better for table tennis then my Kayano.. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asics-Gel-B..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=179K8WD9CZX76N537MSN

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
I dont know about the other shoes (rocket etc). But asics gel blade I can totally recommend. I have done over 150 training sessions and 40-50 matches over two years period and they are still durable. I havent tried many shoes but the gel technology is definitely worth the try because they are the only shoes that dont leave me with joint/finger/balls of feet pains after a hard training session with footwork drills. I have also tried butterfly and stiga and I didnt like them

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I need to buy a table tennis shoe urgently and would prefer buying from somewhere which will deliver in US quickly.

I have always been a fan of asics. About me : my table tennis rating is around 1700 official 1698 :)

I weigh approx. 220 pounds and have torn meniscus in the left knee.

I was looking at Asics Gel Dominion and Asics Gel Rocket 7.

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions or any preferences or experiences on the above two.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2016
I bought the gel upcourt indoor shoes from Amazon. Approx 70 shipping within the US I think. I like them and I would advice to get sporty insoles for them.

Blade: Hurricane Long V
Rubbers: H3 neo provincial blue sponge FH
H3 Neo provincial BH

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Thanks Nicolas !!! I have sporty insoles, let me check whether I can move them from my existing butterfly shoes into the new one ....
I bought the gel upcourt indoor shoes from Amazon. Approx 70 shipping within the US I think. I like them and I would advice to get sporty insoles for them.

H3 Neo provincial BH

says I am just looking for someplace to play during a week...
says I am just looking for someplace to play during a week...
Mar 2016

H3 Neo provincial BH
I want to second that idea as I also have the Asics Gel-Upcourt shoes and they just needed a bit more arch support so get some inserts.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Do people feel that volleyball/squash trainers are better than Butterfly's table tennis trainers? I suffer with back problems when I'm playing and I use Lezoline Butterfly shoes. I wonder if getting something with more substance in the footwear department will help?
Can anyone recommend a trainer for table tennis that could potentially improve my back?

Are you looking for shoes for table tennis? Then it should be table tennis shoes rather than volleyball shoes or badminton shoes. Most movements of table tennis are horizontal, but not vertical like volleyball or basketball. Most back injuries in table tennis are caused by disorder rotation or rotation of powerful shots, not the impact from the earth.

As you said you need more cushioning, I would suggest that you should buy extra supreme insoles, or simply Nike Zoom Kobe series and Kevin Durant series, extream cushioning and flexible ankle movements. But not LBJ series, ankle is locked, though crazy protection.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Hi Ridder,

I don't have enough experience on shoes to make that assertion completely, however the supply of table tennis shoes in the US is a bit delayed in the sense it takes some time to get you hands on a Mizuno or Asics table tennis shoe. One can get butterfly ( which I personally find completely overpriced for the quality, I have used Energy force V ) and lets say IMO it was nothing special .

I had bough an indoor soccer shoe from asics long time ago and I used to really like it for the comfort but it worn out after and year and a half .

But my experience with asics has always been positive. However, one cannot get ascis table tennis shoes in the US so I was thinking of settling for a all court shoe from that company

Do people feel that volleyball/squash trainers are better than Butterfly's table tennis trainers? I suffer with back problems when I'm playing and I use Lezoline Butterfly shoes. I wonder if getting something with more substance in the footwear department will help?
Can anyone recommend a trainer for table tennis that could potentially improve my back?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Thanks joelifigo !!
You might have a point. I looked at a few threads here and settled for Mizune Wave Drive V . was able to order it from Contra.

Thanks for the suggestions on the insoles, I have one from Dr. Scholl's . I will take it out from my current shoe and check if its still usable. If not, I will explore the options that you have suggested.

Appreciate the information you have provided.

Are you looking for shoes for table tennis? Then it should be table tennis shoes rather than volleyball shoes or badminton shoes. Most movements of table tennis are horizontal, but not vertical like volleyball or basketball. Most back injuries in table tennis are caused by disorder rotation or rotation of powerful shots, not the impact from the earth.

As you said you need more cushioning, I would suggest that you should buy extra supreme insoles, or simply Nike Zoom Kobe series and Kevin Durant series, extream cushioning and flexible ankle movements. But not LBJ series, ankle is locked, though crazy protection.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Thanks joelifigo !!
You might have a point. I looked at a few threads here and settled for Mizune Wave Drive V . was able to order it from Contra.

Thanks for the suggestions on the insoles, I have one from Dr. Scholl's . I will take it out from my current shoe and check if its still usable. If not, I will explore the options that you have suggested.

Appreciate the information you have provided.