Need a new backhand rubber

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
Hi everyone,

I've been using the Evolution FX-P for a while now on my backhand (my first rubber with a softer sponge) and I don't like it for the following reasons:

1.I like to open up with my backhand just after the top of the bounce and not wait too long for the ball to go under the table. With my full-stroke, the ball invariably flies over the table and there is no pronounced arc bringing it back down. I could achieve a better arc even with the Tenergy 64 on my backhand. At 9 minutes 50 seconds in the video, the explanation given matches my experience exactly.

2. Pushing is not so good with this rubber.

However, I like the excellent blocking that is possible with the softer sponge.

I always open up with my backhand against long pushes and then steadily counter or block anything to my backhand. Though I can spin-block or even counter-topspin sometimes with the backhand, it's not really a part of my game. These open ups have really suffered ever since I've had the FX-P.

I need a rubber that arcs the ball more while retaining a somewhat good blocking performance (I realize you can't really have both). I know stuff like Tenergy 05 won't be suited because even though the arc would be great, my blocks and countering would suffer quite a bit.

Stuff that I have in mind:

1. Donic Baracuda: Not sure how this rubber blocks, though it should be good for opening up and for short game.
2. Rakza 9: Heard good things about it. Never tried it.
3. Tenergy 64: I've had it on my backhand. Though great, it's pricey and short game suffers because of the catapult. Would also prefer a rubber that's not this fast and has a higher arc.
4. Vega Japan.
5. Tuttle LV Silver

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

What I've used so far:

1. Mark V (almost 1 year): Short play and service excellent. Spin pretty good. Very hard and undynamic
2. Spinlord Tiger (almost 1 year): More speed that Mark V. Less spin though. Loses it's speed and then it's hard to generate speed. Throw also pretty low.
3. Tenergy 64 (3 months): Got a slightly used one and used it till it was dead.
4. Evolution FX-P (2 months).

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Saw your technique, you are letting the ball drop down a little bit and taking at the level of the table more like Point C of the classic A, B, C , D positions. If your aim is to take it more off the bounce then T05 , Omega IV Pro etc would be worth a try, but I think for your current technique 64 is good. The other rubbers will give you more spin and arc but you would need to take it off the bounce using wrist and loose forearm with your elbow tucked in close to your body and use your core power. Much like the this ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
Thanks a lot for the video ttmonster. Just to make it clearer for the others, this was my contact point (and this is probably the latest that I will contact the ball for my backhand).

Selection_228.jpg

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I have used TWO rubbers for the last 4 years. XP 2008 at & Teuros a sheet, and Nexy Elpis, cost 20 Teuros in USA.

That is it all I ever needed and the ball will bend the laws of physics.

I think all the suggestions or perfectly good suggestions for the reasons offered.

In my heart, I believe it is really for the most part a matter of improving the impact within zone, whip/acceleration timing, and being a little closer the table. Cheering for FC Bayern wouldn't hurt either.

FX-P and T64 on most blades are outstanding BH rubbers, so is any of the Omega IV, IV, Tour, and Vega series. Pin your possible choices to a wall, cover your eyes and trow a dart... what ever rubber the dart chooses will work just fine with some more table time.

I am just a trouble maker with a relative low playing level (compared to even moderate sucessfull amatures in your Land) that would be 1650-1700 TTR where you are, certainly not a top player, Carl is 100 TTR or more less... but he knows where he is coming from, others are really sound as well. take your pick and have at it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
I have used TWO rubbers for the last 4 years. XP 2008 at & Teuros a sheet, and Nexy Elpis, cost 20 Teuros in USA.

In my heart, I believe it is really for the most part a matter of improving the impact within zone, whip/acceleration timing, and being a little closer the table. Cheering for FC Bayern wouldn't hurt either.

FX-P and T64 on most blades are outstanding BH rubbers, so is any of the Omega IV, IV, Tour, and Vega series. Pin your possible choices to a wall, cover your eyes and trow a dart... what ever rubber the dart chooses will work just fine with some more table time.

I am just a trouble maker with a relative low playing level (compared to even moderate sucessfull amatures in your Land) that would be 1650-1700 TTR where you are, certainly not a top player, Carl is 100 TTR or more less... but he knows where he is coming from, others are really sound as well. take your pick and have at it.

Thanks a lot for your advice. Until now, I've been quite happy with every backhand rubber I've tried (even the tacky rubber Palio Upp that I started it). The only reason I've been switching from classic rubbers is because my coach thinks that I'm more than ready for tensor rubbers.

This is actually the first time that I haven't been able to get used to a rubber after more than a month of testing it out. I don't know if it's not compatible with my blade or if it's just much faster than anything else I've tried (certainly feels that way) but I just can't seem to get used to it while looping underspin. This is just a rocket and other players think so as well after they give it a try. Funnily enough, the FX-P that I tested (1.9 mm) before buying this did not feel nearly this fast (and I got used to that one in one training day) :D. Perhaps, I actually got the holy grail version that they send out to pros :D

I've also had no problems with tacky or non-tacky rubbers for my forehand.

Naturally, my backhand technique is not perfect and can be improved in many ways but I don't think that it is the real problem in this case. I actually think that my particular rubber is too fast for me without enough dip.

Normally, I've been able to get used to any backhand rubber in a couple of hours but this is really the one exceptional case. Maybe, I'll actually make the dart board (without the FX-P :D) and close my eyes and pick :D

This user has no status.
Everytime I buy a new rubber, I try it before I buy it.
In the shop I go, there is a trying section where you can try the feeling of rubbers.
I think people have different preference so I suggest touching them and playing with them before you buy one.
Although recently I changed my mind and start thinking that equipment is not that important, the most important thing I think is the skill and game plan.(sorry, completely unrelated topic.)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
So, slapped the FX-P on my Yinhe Earth 1 instead of the ZJK ALC. The FX-P is way more controllable on the Earth 1. On the ALC the ball would just rocket out but you have much more dwell to spin the ball patiently. My backhand open up are back and reliable again.

Still not exactly my rubber, as I have to wait a bit longer than usual, otherwise the sponge just collapses on me. Spin-blocks close to the table also not possible as the sponge collapses. Punch-blocking and passive blocking are excellent though. However, I'm fine with playing out this rubber until it dies.

Next one on the backhand will probably be the Xiom Vega Japan or the Xiom Vega Asia. If I'm still unhappy, then I'll just get the Tenergy 64 for the backhand and pay the premium price.