World championships - time for a change?

MJB

This user has no status.

MJB

This user has no status.
May 2012
The dust has now settled on the 2016 World Championships. There were some great matches and fantastic rallies to enjoy.

However, there was one big disappointment:A lack of spectators. With the exception of the final (5,000 Chinese made the trip) there was hardly anybody watching in the stadium. The atmosphere was incredibly sterile. The England/Japan semi-final was a classic but it only attracted about 200.

The big question is: Why do the ITTF give this prestigious event (second only to the Olympics) to a country that has no history or real interest in the sport? (I'm all for spreading the TT message but you shouldn't mess about with this blue ribbon tournament.)

Personally, I think it's time to restrict the World Champs to only established countries. The following would do a great job and create an amazing atmosphere - China, Japan, Korea, Germany, France and, possibly, England. (Yeah, I'm slightly biased. We haven't held it since 1998 - we deserve another shot.)

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
I think it is ok to give other countries a chance in hosting middle-sized sport events like a WTTTC. However, it is inexcusable that athletes have to play tabletennis in tents or that the hoster is too stupid to adjust the air conditioning system so that it is neither freezing cold nor windy inside nor as noisy as on a construction site. That is intolerable, nothing else! Whoever decided to give the WTTTC to Kuala Lumpur is to blame for that. You have to check the host's concept before you give away such an event. No idea but I guess it was a decision based on money, like always.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
It is all about the money. Same as Formula 1, if you want to have to race in your country you have to pay a lot of money. Malaysia is rich country so maybe that was the idea. Of course ITTF should put in the contract the rule of minimum spectators, so the organizer should bring the people to the stadium, tv broadcast and so on.
Also ITTF is responsible for spreading TT worldwide, that is why they may choose countries where table tennis is not very popular. Anyway people concerned should organize spectators, other way it is waste of time and money,

MJB

This user has no status.

MJB

This user has no status.
May 2012
Thanks for your comments. I didn't realize the conditions were iffy as well. That is so unprofessional.

The ITTF site recently claimed the event was a massive success with TV ratings in China. That's brilliant. However, they didn't mention about the lack of spectators and poor atmosphere for the vast majority of the event. I've watched a lot of World Championships over the years and this has easily been the worse one. Behind closed doors, I'm pretty sure the ITTF would agree.

To finish on a positive, the next WC is in Germany. Thankfully, that is guaranteed to be amazing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
I agree with all above, the ITTF should be able to do a better job with how they run big events like this.
How would you guys feel about the Championships being restricted to just the Championship Division, and having a qualifying format instead like in football? That way you only have the best nations competing against each other.
ITTF bring the Championships back to England or at least an ITTF World Tour event.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
I'm not sure whether ITTF put their own people in charge of the nitty gritty part of the events and the settings or they just let the management of the place taking care of it.

If the latter is true, it's not that surprising for them to screw up the overall atmosphere of the event. Malaysia isn't really a big table tennis country afterall. But like MJB said, if the events were to be held in countries where table tennis is quite a big thing like in german, sweden or japan, the event should have more people watching and organized much better

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
I wasn't there so I'd be lying if I said it bothered me. Even if I was I'm still not totally sure it would be major issue for me. Less crowds mean more parking space, less hassle, and less stress. I could probably get closer to the action and take better pictures of my favorite table tennis stars and teams. I think I would also be so star-struck, having to use an outhouse would be a minor inconvenience by comparison. Ah, the age of millennials. Ha ha! I'm just teasing. Table tennis fans should not be taken for granted.