Ask Timo Boll a question on the TTD podcast!

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Hi everyone,

One of our next guests on the TableTennisDaily Podcast is Timo Boll! Timo Boll is one of the greatest European players of all time and is the only non Chinese player to win matches against the top Chinese players of the current generation. Timo has posted victories on Zhang Jike and Ma Long at Olympic and World Events. Timo is a 6 time European Champion and 5 times Europe Top 12 winner.

Germany's Timo Boll achieved world number 1 status in January 2003 and has an Olympic Silver medal in the team event in Beijing 2008. Timo is well known for his fair play and outstanding sportsmanship and is an ambassador and role model for table tennis.

Simply submit your question below! We will select the best questions and use them in the podcast!

asktimobollaquestion.jpg

Timo Boll - Photo by: ITTF Flickr

Tribute to Timo Boll

Reactions: Suga D
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
When Timo pushes and returns serve, his forefinger seems higher up the blade than most other players. Has he always done that and is their an advantage to it and does he recommend that?

Also, what is the most common mistake he sees in serious amateur players? What is the best way to improve without training 6 hours per day?

Last edited:
Hey guys!

My words to Timo:

"Hey Timo, how are you? Timo, I'd like to know the point of view that you have about the brazilian players. How do you see guys such as Gustavo Tsuboi , Cazuo Matsumoto and specially Hugo Calderano (after a loss and a win in the TTBL) in a possible confrontation in the Olympics? Do you see these guys as a risk? What are your thoughts and vision about brazilian table tennis? Hugs from a brazilian fan!"

Thank you TTD Guys! :D

Reactions: yuri.saldon
This user has no status.
why does he think boosting is unfair? If ITTF revoked the boosing is illegal law, would he still think it's unfair?

Since sponsored top tier athletes have nicer equipment and the ability to change out expensive rubbers much more frequently than average players, what measures can be taken to level the playing field? What does he say to those who think allowing amateurs to boost helps level the playing field since there equipment options are for the most part inferior?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Two questions :
1. As somebody who has gone through a lot of injuries in your career , you have learnt to optimize your practice time. How do optimize your practice and still compete with players from China who have been practicing 6 + hour a day since they were six years old ?
2. Since your game favors fifth ball attack more than third ball attack, what do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of such a strategy as compared to a third ball attack strategy ?

Reactions: anchorschmidt

NDH

says Spin to win!
Hello,

Not sure when the podcast is happening, so hopefully I'm not too late!

If you could give us players one tip on how to keep calm under pressure (i.e not lose at 10-4 up) what would it be?

If I am too late for the podcast, has anyone got any useful tips?

Thanks! :)

Do the same as 10 of the last 14 points ;)

Haha, other than that.... Be consistent.... I've seen people tend to try and play the glory shot to win..... Soon it becomes 10-6, then 10-8.... All of a sudden you are under pressure just to win the set.

If you've won 10 points already..... Either carry on doing exactly the same, or be very similar with a touch more focus and consistency.

This user has no status.
Thanks for your reply!

I try my best not to change anything when I hit 10 points, however I must be overthinking things as I start making basic mistakes! I recently lost in the semi final of a tournament after being 10-7 up in the fifth set. The guy I lost to went on to win 3-0 in the final against an opponent that I would have faired just as well against.

Further to this, I was 2-1 down and 10-4 up in my local league match and ended up losing 12-10! I need to keep my focus I think!

says I like tabletennis a lot, I do it already 5,5 years.
says I like tabletennis a lot, I do it already 5,5 years.
Dec 2014
How long did it take you to enter the real top? And how could you also beat the world Chinese players? That's just amazing! How did that winning feel, just like any other game, or just a little better because of the Chinese, the 'best' players so far?

Last edited:
Reactions: anchorschmidt
This user has no status.
When Timo pushes and returns serve, his forefinger seems higher up the blade than most other players. Has he always done that and is their an advantage to it and does he recommend that?

Also, what is the most common mistake he sees in serious amateur players? What is the best way to improve without training 6 hours per day?

This an invention of the Trainer Helmut Hampl called "Druckpunkttechnik" (tl: pressure point technique).
It is a controversial technique even in DTTB. Patrik Franziska uses it too.

This user has no status.
Germany today is one of Europe's best countries for producing high-level players such as yourself. I live in America and almost everyone here plays only recreationally, and very very few people go professional. Do you think that if America as a country had as much interest in Table Tennis as Germany, we could produce any world class players?

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
This an invention of the Trainer Helmut Hampl called "Druckpunkttechnik" (tl: pressure point technique).
It is a controversial technique even in DTTB. Patrik Franziska uses it too.

It would be interesting to hear Boll's take on this.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2011
Please choose this one!
"Timo, if you could change one lost match in your career into a victory, which one would it be?"

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
I have a few, pick any that you like :)

1. On many occasions, there is a general pattern in your matches against Chinese players. You seem to have a hard time in the beginning but become more and more dangerous as the match goes on. Examples are the WTTC match against Ma Long in 2013, WTTTC 2012 against ZJK, WTTTC 2010 against Ma Long, World Cup semifinal against ZJK in 2014, WTTC against FZD in 2015. Matches against Ma lin and Wang liqin at the 2006 WTTTC, Olympic match against ZJK in 2012. How do you manage to adapt to such high level opponents and become stronger and stronger as the match goes on? How do you manage to adapt and think of better tactics than high level players?

2. Why do you win against Mizutani so easily (23:1) compared to Dimitrij Ovtcharov, who seems to struggle against him every time? What is it about your game that is so effective against him?

3. You are known for your very spinny topspins. Is there anyone else who can produce as much topspin on the ball as you can? :)