PDA

View Full Version : Ma Lin's Touch Shot

Dan
08-05-2011, 11:32 PM
The shot Ma Lin achieves here is what's known as a touch shot. However, looking closely at this amazing footage from DiegoTTTube at youtube you can see how much backspin Ma Lin achieves on the ball! Awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y022CboCT_A&feature=player_embedded

How to do this touch shot?

The aim of this touch shot (the short push) is to make sure you keep the ball short over your opponents side of the table. Keeping it short I mean at least two bounces. In doing so this stops your opponent attacking the ball. The key is, to keep your short push low over the net.

To do this shot, you need to have the racquet face open and contact the ball as early as possible. This enables you to get the ball short over the net quickly and doesn't give your opponent much time. Try to also contact the ball with a little bit of backspin to minimise the risk of your opponent coming in with a strong flick.

Its important however, to not attempt the short push to often as your opponent can get use to your style of play and will then start to flick your short balls. Vary your pushing with long aggressive digs to mix the pushing up for your opponent. This keeps him guessing on what your going to do.

Good luck!

Its this type of touch that seperates Ma Lin to the rest of the world, thus enabling him to become Olympic Champion in 2008.

http://www.ittf.com/stories/pictures/ma_lin_16_04_11_Large.jpg
Photo by: tabletennisphotos.com

Olecool
08-05-2011, 11:39 PM
Amazing feeling..

WiWa
08-05-2011, 11:41 PM
Ma Lin, why do u make it look easy?????!!!!! IT IS NOT! Damm. He just touches it, that's really all he does.... No weird flick or crazy move.... Just that touch...

r7racer
08-05-2011, 11:42 PM
wow, that is impressive.
looked like nothing special too.
can anyone do it that effortlessly and care to explain?

Dan
08-05-2011, 11:53 PM
wow, that is impressive.
looked like nothing special too.
can anyone do it that effortlessly and care to explain?

I attempted to explain in the post but tbh how he does that I don't know!

I think its a combination of how early he contacts the ball with very good tacky rubbers, also his hands will be very soft and the timing of the shot will cause the ball to spin back...

plus over 10.000 hours of practice :)

WiWa
08-06-2011, 12:28 AM
I think a simple way to explain it is based on the speed he gives the ball. If the ball goes slow, it needs relatively less backspin in order to return. So if you hit the ball in such a way that it drops just over the net, it hasn't got enough speed on it to reach the end of the table before the backspin drags it backwards. The touch this requires is like Waldner's dropshots on far- or mid-distance returns.

DaFaiGai
08-06-2011, 12:38 AM
o-o... It's a drop shot.

Not just Ma Lin can do it sheeshhh.

Bastoun
08-06-2011, 01:41 AM
Such an amazing touch... An other universe...
But if you really look at it, you'll see that the ball hit a little little bit the let, that can explain a little bit the rotation no?

ttmonster
08-06-2011, 01:42 AM
agree with you dan .. not for nothing Schlager and company said that even though Wang Hao has crazy both winged looping abilities ... technically Ma Lin is the most accomplished ..... guess read it somewhere in Henzell's post

dici
08-06-2011, 03:59 AM
damn.... i can't do this and i don't think i have any idea how to learn to do it

alfredtck
08-06-2011, 08:46 AM
It was really amazing~^^

YosuaYosan
08-06-2011, 09:55 AM
The shot begineers always forget or lazily learn lol

TTOski
08-06-2011, 10:28 AM
Amazing shot

chughtai
08-06-2011, 04:24 PM
my push has never been this short

azlan
08-06-2011, 07:20 PM
Actually guys, the reason why he took the ball early is because, that split milliseconds after the ball bounces, there wasn't enough spin on the ball for him to control. That split second, the ball was not spinning, or just about to spin, so he may exert his backspin without having to put to much power..try it, you'll be surprise. And before I forget, it only works against back spin.
It's the same reason when you make a drop shot against a top spin ball. You take the ball early (just after bounce) with a soft wrist. You certainly don't take it at the highest point or on the way down, do you??...:)

niko
08-06-2011, 09:13 PM
wonderful touch!!!

Olecool
08-07-2011, 01:43 AM
I think the fact that the ball touches the net plays a big factor..

Charlie
08-07-2011, 07:36 AM
that shots ridiculas definetly a shot i would like to learn

YosuaYosan
08-07-2011, 08:33 AM
Actually guys, the reason why he took the ball early is because, that split milliseconds after the ball bounces, there wasn't enough spin on the ball for him to control. That split second, the ball was not spinning, or just about to spin, so he may exert his backspin without having to put to much power..try it, you'll be surprise. And before I forget, it only works against back spin.
It's the same reason when you make a drop shot against a top spin ball. You take the ball early (just after bounce) with a soft wrist. You certainly don't take it at the highest point or on the way down, do you??...:)

So thats why my coach asked me to take the ball early after the bounce.
Excellent explanation sir Azlan :) Now I understand !

Dan
08-07-2011, 12:14 PM

Very true, I like this explanation a lot!

mullywully
08-07-2011, 04:02 PM
Extremely soft hands and the angle that he come in at using his penhold grip allowed ma lin to pull of the shot like that

tilden02
08-07-2011, 05:14 PM
I think the fact that the ball touches the net plays a big factor..

I concur! And we can see that the ball is being sent to Ma Lin with heavvvvvy underspin. Not to take anything away from Ma Lin, I think if any one of us pushed it back close to the net we would see the same behavior. ~Tilden

azlan
08-07-2011, 05:35 PM
I concur! And we can see that the ball is being sent to Ma Lin with heavvvvvy underspin. Not to take anything away from Ma Lin, I think if any one of us pushed it back close to the net we would see the same behavior. ~Tilden

Actually buddy, I've seen Ma Lin doing it against top spins a few times. On one occasion, the ball was returned to him from his initial smash far from the table, and Ma just stabbed chop the ball dead, and it trickled back into the net. And that was against a topspin...The man can do it without the net caught..
I can't remember whom he was playing against, but I surely can remember that evening going back into my club trying to do what Ma Lin just did. :) and failed miserably.

azlan
08-07-2011, 05:36 PM

Actually buddy, I've seen Ma Lin doing it against top spins a few times. On one occasion, the ball was returned to him from his initial smash far from the table, and Ma just stabbed chop the ball dead, and it trickled back into the net. And that was against a topspin...The man can do it without the net caught..
I can't remember whom he was playing against, but I surely can remember that evening going back into my club trying to do what Ma Lin just did. :) and failed miserably.

Rhydian
08-07-2011, 09:28 PM
great shot!! thanks for the explanation azlan :)

Dan
08-07-2011, 09:35 PM

True I think he can do what he wants :)

Look when he was against me at 4.51..! He drop shot the ball and I remember looking at it and it was spinning insanely!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swmWfV6kn08

So much ball control!

Anders
08-07-2011, 11:12 PM
Simply amazing!

azlan
08-08-2011, 05:54 AM
True I think he can do what he wants

Look when he was against me at 4.51..! He drop shot the ball and I remember looking at it and it was spinning insanely!

I remember watching the video the 1st time, your "what the...." expression was just priceless mate! It was a great video, and proves that when players play Ma Lin, Ma Lin calls the shot....

Mattis
08-08-2011, 01:57 PM
I cannot agree with you all that its so impressive and amazing. the ball touched the net and that slowed the it a lot. A lil bit of backspin and the ball comes back. Nothing special in my opinion.

YosuaYosan
08-08-2011, 03:07 PM
True I think he can do what he wants :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swmWfV6kn08

So much ball control!

OMG what a touch lol

JustAlt
08-08-2011, 04:27 PM
I cannot agree with you all that its so impressive and amazing. the ball touched the net and that slowed the it a lot. A lil bit of backspin and the ball comes back. Nothing special in my opinion.

The ball hit the net, yes.. But Ma Lin still has got an amazing touch in his short game and that video is a good example of it even thought the ball hit the net.
If you tell me you and all of your club mates can take a ball that early with such touch and consistency, I guess it's nothing special then.

scylla24
08-09-2011, 12:51 PM
agree with you dan .. not for nothing Schlager and company said that even though Wang Hao has crazy both winged looping abilities ... technically Ma Lin is the most accomplished ..... guess read it somewhere in Henzell's post

Yeah, I noticed that too and pointed it out in one of the threads asking Henzell questions. I think it speaks volumes, when some of the other top players immediately single you out as the most technically advanced player. Specially someone like Schlager. Ma Lin's touch is second to none. It's why his short game is far above anyone else's in the game, even fellow penholders like Wang Hao and Xu Xin.

moriguchi2
08-25-2011, 05:38 AM
there isnt that much backspin as it seems....he just hit the ball off the bounce, making the ball very low over the net with very little forward motions causing the ball to bounce forwards a little and the backspin made it comeback

scylla24
08-26-2011, 08:02 PM
Yes its true, that a good deal of the spin comes from the serve he is hitting back, and hitting the net slowed the ball down so it had more backward movement on the other side of the table, but that still doesn't make his touch and service return any less impressive. To be able to time it perfectly and have the amazing touch to hit it right after it bounces, while imparting some back spin onto the ball isn't easy, or at least doing it that well isn't easy.

I don't think there is really any debate that no one in the game has a better short game mastery than Ma Lin.

Mr. RicharD
09-15-2011, 11:32 PM
I've been using Skyline 2 for a few months now and have really stepped up my training with Chinese Penhold. To be honest it isn't that hard. I'm not saying that the timing is easy or that the technique is very simple to learn. It requires a good knowledge of service and the proper angle closing the service. In that particular video the coach serves right and underspin so Ma closes the left side of the ball (right for the server) and keeps his paddle steady while slightly going forward.

I'm only personally rated at 1041 in the U.S. as I don't often go to tournaments, but I went to the club last week and upset a couple 1800's while playing penhold which is not my strongest style of play and did the exact same thing. They would serve left spin however and I would close the right side of the ball and just let the spin carry it back over the net and it'd bounce twice and surprise the crap out of them.

For Shakehanders I'd suggest practicing the same thing by closing the side which it's spinning regardless of the underspin if it has a little of left or right on it just close that side slightly while still having the racket open for the underspin and keep the paddle at the level of the net. You'll be surprised how easy it becomes when you break down the technique to the basic principles of spin.

Saturnix
09-16-2011, 03:44 AM
Guys, did anyone just read the first comment on the video?
"He just returned the spin."

That's just the most logical explanation to this. Look well: he face the forehand almost on the top, the best thing to do while you get a backspin ball (which otherwise will hit the net).

Don't forget you can't break the laws of physics just because you're the best pingpong player ever ;)

ivandri
05-18-2012, 08:18 AM
Amazing shot!That's Ma Lin for you,the 2008 Olympic Champion.

Bollforte94
05-18-2012, 07:55 PM
Ma Lin the Majestro!

ducksick
05-20-2012, 07:46 AM

The WTTC this yrs if am not mistaken... some dropshot, and a dummy as well.

azlan
05-20-2012, 09:56 AM
Thanx Isaac...I think so too:)