Ask Will Bayley (2012 Olympics)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
Firstly, I want to say a big thanks to Dan in allowing me to make this thread. I hope you all enjoy what I have to offer.

willlondon2012.jpg

My names Will Bayley and I am a paralympic athlete for Great Britain in class 7. I am 22 years of age and I have finally reached the number 2 spot in the world. I have represented Great Britain in the Beijing Paralympics and also won numerous gold medals at International Opens Pro Tours.

I was born with a rare congenital disorder called Arthrogryposis, which has affected all four of his limbs. However lets forget all that and be positive!

I train 6 hours a day on a full time basis in Sheffield with the GB Paralympic team and I am determined to get a medal at the 2012 paralympics and to be world number 1. That would be nice! Its not going to be easy tho!

So, I have been speaking with Dan and he said that you guys may want to know a bit more about me, so please leave a comment and Ill keep all you guys up to date on how I get on in the lead up to 2012 :)

Last week I was featured on channel 4 which was real cool!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
Hey there William !
I've seen your medal records, you are awesome :)
And the vids are also nice. You got a very solid technique !

So I gotta ask :
What is keeping you on fire playing table tennis even though you know that TT esp. for paralympics players is not very promising for the future (as long as I know) ?

Thanks in advance and no offence intended. I am always amazed by players like you who could overcome their weakness such as you :D
Will pray for your fight in 2012 Olympics ! Go and win your country a gold will ya ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
Hey man..
How does Arthrogryposis, affect your limbs? And how does it influence your personal life?

When you played table tennis as a youth, how did you practice? I mean, the circumstances.. Were you always one of the "Elites", or did you fight your way up to the top, from being almost nothing.?

Thanks.

My condition is very much like arthritis and its very difficult to use my limbs at times as they get very stiff, especially my hands. It effects my day life when gripping things and walking can be hard, but I have a great team around me and they help me out. Especially with the cooking :)

When I was younger I practiced 3 times a week and was always quite good for my county but I never really advanced as a player until I went to the Bristol Table Tennis Academy. It was there where I really improved and developed my game under the tuition of Kevin Satchell

Hey there William !
I've seen your medal records, you are awesome :)
And the vids are also nice. You got a very solid technique !

So I gotta ask :
What is keeping you on fire playing table tennis even though you know that TT esp. for paralympics players is not very promising for the future (as long as I know) ?

Thanks in advance and no offence intended. I am always amazed by players like you who could overcome their weakness such as you :D
Will pray for your fight in 2012 Olympics ! Go and win your country a gold will ya ;)

One word, London 2012, Keep supporting. I have a dream thats enough to keep me motivated.

You were quality on channel 4!

I hope im getting as ticket for the 2012 paralympics buddy!

Thanks Mully will see you soon and for sure yourt in my corner at 2012!

saw you play british leage at my club youre a very good player definetly gonna see u at the 2012

Cheers Charlie, come and watch and guys dont forget to follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/willbayleytt

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2011
thumbs up

hey will
really nice game u have mate. just wanted to ask what kind of rubbers do u use?

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Hi Will

No question from me just a good luck you have a great style and a great passion and some strong ambition I hope it carries you through, here in New Zealand I coached a player who just became the NZ Paralympic Coach this year I'm very proud and I really enjoy coaching parafed table tennis myself (have a 5 week parafed programme coming up soon before my association hosts the NZ Para National Champs), you are a great role model and I really hope you get a medal in London I'll be following closely on Twitter :) perhaps you might have time for an interview for my blog some time!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
Hi Will

No question from me just a good luck you have a great style and a great passion and some strong ambition I hope it carries you through, here in New Zealand I coached a player who just became the NZ Paralympic Coach this year I'm very proud and I really enjoy coaching parafed table tennis myself (have a 5 week parafed programme coming up soon before my association hosts the NZ Para National Champs), you are a great role model and I really hope you get a medal in London I'll be following closely on Twitter :) perhaps you might have time for an interview for my blog some time!

Hi Matt Thanks for the support! :), an interview will be good yeah

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
Hey guys, i thought I would update you on what I got up to today. I went to a Team Visa event in Bath and met Lee Pearson CBE and Tanni Grey-Thompson.

These two atheltes have been my role model since a young kid and I would just like to express how much of an amazing athletes these two individuals are! You shoul check them out if you don't know them as they are a huge inspiration to us all! ... Remember to ask me questions and to follow my twitter in the signature below :)

Take care everyone

This user has no status.
Hey guys, i thought I would update you on what I got up to today. I went to a Team Visa event in Bath and met Lee Pearson CBE and Tanni Grey-Thompson.

These two atheltes have been my role model since a young kid and I would just like to express how much of an amazing athletes these two individuals are! You shoul check them out if you don't know them as they are a huge inspiration to us all! ... Remember to ask me questions and to follow my twitter in the signature below :)

Take care everyone

I was lonely in Sheffield Today Without will's comedy!

I look forward to hearing all about in next Thursday Will :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
Hey :)

So I would like to know if in the paralympics is also an "asian domination" ?

I remember I watched a couple of matches of the paralympics 2008 in Beijing!

keep on the hard work! I wish you the best for London and hope that your work will be payed off and you achieve your goal !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
I was lonely in Sheffield Today Without will's comedy!

I look forward to hearing all about in next Thursday Will :)

Haha see you soon dude! :)

Hey :)

So I would like to know if in the paralympics is also an "asian domination" ?

I remember I watched a couple of matches of the paralympics 2008 in Beijing!

keep on the hard work! I wish you the best for London and hope that your work will be payed off and you achieve your goal !

Hey, yeah in the world tournaments such as the world championships and Olympics the Asians do dominate. Its crazy how good some of the Chinese class 10's are.