Advice for purchasing rubber and bat

rao

This user has no status.

rao

This user has no status.
Apr 2016
Hi guyz,
i'm new to this forum and i need advice/suggestion from professionals for building my custom racket. First i'll explain my style of play.
Playing style:
I have been playing tt for 1.5yrs ( with pips in pre-made rackets ) and i'm aggressive on my forehand + backhand. I can block well on my bh + fh and playing against top spin shots is my favorite on both hands but i'm weak against choops and don't really do chops. I have a good eye contact and working on my footwork. I have been playing with pre-made bats ( Butterfly timo ball 1000 and 2000 series) uptill now but now i can't get much out of them as they can't help me with spin and i fail miserably playing against chop shots.
What i need:
For BH, I want a rubber which can give more control , counter the spin and chop shots.
For FH, i want good speed ( not too much speed ), good control + average spin.
I want to be an aggressive player more than defensive. I have been searching online for rubbers and bats and what features each provide but i need players opinion who can help me with my style of play. If you can suggest a top notch rubber + blade which is more than my skill level, i can upgrade my game and skill to match it ( that's my approach ).

Note. Please give some explanation + the model as i might not get exact model mentioned so i can look for alternatives based on the explanation.

Thanks

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 34 reviews
A classic place to start is Yasaka Mark V. It's a perfect development rubber when you are transitioning from premades into a serious bat for starting to find your game. It has a good balance of control and spin with enough speed to suit offensive strokes. This is a very popular choice.

A good wood blade will get you on your way too like a Stiga Allround Classic or if you want something a bit faster you could try a Clipper.

This combination would be well controlled and good for learning and improving your game. It will also be durable so you will get a good amount of use from it.

Reactions: Shuki

rao

This user has no status.

rao

This user has no status.
Apr 2016
darnner i have used pips in rubber all the time, never played with pips out. Around 50-60$.
tabletennis11 stiga all round with mark v is a good choice. If i select a more advanced type of rubber like hurricane (FH) and tenergy (BH) and adapt my skills according to them, it can change my game real quick, right ? What do you say about this choice ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 34 reviews
It's not down to the equipment on changing your game. Choosing more advanced equipment will not help you become a better player faster, this is kind of like trying to cut corners. If you choose to use Hurricane 3 and it is not well suited to your style of play then it can be detrimental to the learning process. Hurricane 3 is a very hard rubber to master and is very focused on heavy spin and powerful low arc forehands, mainly third balls. You need to have a strong technique in order to get the most out of hurricane. Also using tenergy on your backhand will be harder to control and may cause a high number of errors in your game. So on that choice, it's your decision but not advisable if you want to focus on really developing your game style and strokes.

This user has no status.
as tabletennis11 has said, hurricane 3 is a very hard rubber to master
unless you are getting coached like 5 days a week and train really hard then maybe

mark v is a very good choice beginners and intermediate players
i havent had much experience with stiga products so im not sure about them but i have heard some good reviews from them

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
Hi Rao. I'm a new player as well, so take anything I say with a grain of salt. The first racket I bought 2 years ago was a timo boll all with a mark V and sriver. Everyone says mark V is great to start, but I hated everything about the thing. Maybe it's because I made the mistake of getting it in max thickness, or maybe I had a bad sheet, or maybe it didn't match well with the blade, but it felt mushy and was reactive to opponent spin. After, I got a second hand Yasaka Sweeden Extra with an FXP and 5Q sound and I find it's faster but not overly fast, and not reactive to spin. It's great for helping me work on shots. I've been able to try FXP on a number of different blades (of friends) and I love everything about that rubber. I've also tried a nimbus soft and find it good for backhand. Someone once told me softer rubbers are better to start with because it gives you more time while the ball is sinking in (or some technical mumbo jumbo haha), but I certainly find softer rubbers easier to play with at this stage of the game.

I hope you find a good combination.

This user has no status.
I say go with clipper.Its slightly more expensive but has significantly more value in the long run compared to allround offensive.

BH: either sriver or yasaka mark 5 (prefer sriver). if you're not afraid of tensor rubbers then fxp is both great and cheap.
FH. either mark 5 and if ur not afraid of tensor, then xiom vega europe. personally some might as tensors are too much for you but the 2 tensor rubbers i adviced are very controllable and not too fast and powerful.

I train people in my club and i gave them clipper cr + donic blue m2 and xiom vega europe. They just started learning but they can control their shots very well. its not too powerful

rao

This user has no status.

rao

This user has no status.
Apr 2016
thanks all of you for your advice. I'm thinking to go with yasaka mark 5 on FH and for sriver for BH. for the blade can you guyz suggest something else than stiga all round or clipper with equal quality and stats coz its real expensive in my country ( around 60$).

This user has no status.
thanks all of you for your advice. I'm thinking to go with yasaka mark 5 on FH and for sriver for BH. for the blade can you guyz suggest something else than stiga all round or clipper with equal quality and stats coz its real expensive in my country ( around 60$).
Well, if that is the case, why don't you tell us which blade brands are cheap?
I am giving you others alternatives.
1. Tibhar spw
2. Yasaka extra
3. Yasaka galaxya(clipper like)
4. Dhs pg7 (clipper like, but not of high quality of clipper standards)

There are some sanwei and yinhe blades which are good at cheap prices, but since I have not used them, hence can't say about it much.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
1,5 years? Then the fastest blades for you should be allround blades and the rubbers should be old type rubbers like Mendo, Mark V and so on or new type rubbers that are made for "evolving players" that you can find in like any table tennis companys assortment. I'm selling Power LT for evolving players to people in some clubs and I know that alot of other clubs that do Allround bats with thin old style rubbers (1.7-1.8mm). Controll is the main focus for evolving players with a good base in technique if you are playing table tennis to be better in the long run.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 34 reviews
Perhaps if you are looking for a cheaper blade you could try the Yasaka Sweden Extra also like the guy above changed to. It's a pretty reasonable blade and has fantastic control with a decent level of speed. For a blade like this it has a pretty sweet price tag! :)

Reactions: Mtcollins