PDA

View Full Version : Butterfly poly ball

d3ss3n
04-20-2016, 01:44 PM
Just wanted to know if anyone has tried Butterfly poly ball? Read some reviews on those and still having some issues playing with it.

Sent from my SM-A700H using Tapatalk

NDH
04-20-2016, 01:47 PM
The G40+ new one?

Suga D
04-20-2016, 02:39 PM
Do you mean this one?

NDH
04-20-2016, 03:11 PM
What do you think to it Suga D?

I absolutely hate it!

Suga D
04-20-2016, 03:37 PM
It would be an exaggeration to say I love it, but I definitely prefer it over the XSF40+ and once you get used to the sound it's pretty equal to the NP40+ IMHO.

A player whose game is rather based more on tempo than on spin probably would prefer it over the other two mentioned balls.

But we (our club) is still allowed to use C-balls in competition, so we mostly use these here in practice before an important tournament.

NDH
04-20-2016, 03:48 PM
Do you not find them extremely heavy?

Feels like trying to hit/spin a brick!

Suga D
04-20-2016, 04:59 PM
I could be wrong but i think mine are way lighter than my XSF plus they're mucho faster and don't bounce so odd.
[Emoji23]

Baal
04-21-2016, 12:55 AM
I have weighed them. They are slightly ligher than XSF but they are harder. They are very slick on the outside, so they fly very straight and fast and retain their spin after they bounce off the table. They are quite unique.

Der_Echte
04-21-2016, 03:45 AM
I played with these G40+ at the MDTTC maryland National Training Center April Tourney recently.

I pretty much agree with Baal, and anyone would be plumb crazy to disagree with Baal on his opinions of plastic balls.

The balls make a very irritating ping sound on bounce. The do indeed feel more solid than their weight. They carry spin longer in air. They do not dip right away on heavy topspin at the table, but in off the table counterlooping, these will allow you to load up the spin as much as you can with a plastic ball. In such a loop to loop rally, the G40+ will seem to come at you FASTER, which requires an adjustment.

I adjusted within the time of 3 matches of my round robin group. The bounce on a passive short push or light spin ball that lands deep wasn't as unpredictable as the Joola ball, which ought to be melted with a welding torch.

I didn't break my bat or opponents'/Tourney Director's bones during the matches, so I guess that was a positive sign.

Der_Echte
04-21-2016, 03:53 AM
It would be an exaggeration to say I love it, but I definitely prefer it over the XSF40+ and once you get used to the sound it's pretty equal to the NP40+ IMHO.

A player whose game is rather based more on tempo than on spin probably would prefer it over the other two mentioned balls.

I would agree with you, yet Der_Echte, who spins first and asks questions later, if ever, made the U2000 finals and lost by a point at duece in 5th using those balls. The level of that crowd of 12-15 players who could compete for finals was around 1650 to 1700 TTR in level, way higher than their official rating.

I play mostly attacks close to table with HEAVY spin, and it worked well enough. Most of those players who are skilled and way under-rated are speed monsters. The ball bounced true enough for me to track and spin heavy. That was about all I could ask for - a fair chance to see the ball true and make a heavy opener. The JOOLA 40+ ball many USA clubs like to use for their tourneys is 1000x worse than the BTY ball... the Joola ball bounced like it had a Mexican jumping bean inside it built in.

ttmonster
04-21-2016, 04:11 AM
Just to chime in, I have played with the Butterfly Plastic balls for practice, and they are decent . I did not have to any noticable adjustment to go from Nittaku 40+ 3 start to the Butterfly Plastic balls , and they were retaining speed pretty good.
only thing is the color is like old plastic balls , other than that its pretty decent for practice ....

d3ss3n
04-21-2016, 08:30 AM
This is the ball that am talking about
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160421/2c64ca1bc44f288ffaf62956edb3ccb2.jpg

Ardenhouse165
04-21-2016, 10:28 AM

I have to agree with you NDH. They sound heavy, feel heavy and play heavy. That said, they break easy enough when you tread on them (accidentally of course!!!). The colour is also odd, looking like they have been played with for a while already.
Appeared to react to spin ok, and with good speed.
XSF seem to get mis-shapen very quickly, so will be interesting to monitor the durability of these G40+ Butterfly balls.

NDH
04-21-2016, 10:59 AM
I have to agree with you NDH. They sound heavy, feel heavy and play heavy. That said, they break easy enough when you tread on them (accidentally of course!!!). The colour is also odd, looking like they have been played with for a while already.
XSF seem to get mis-shapen very quickly, so will be interesting to monitor the durability of these G40+ Butterfly balls.

Well at least it's not just me!

For those who say it's not heavy, that may be so (physical weight wise), but the coating and the general "thickness" makes it feel heavy - It's almost like the ball is made of a much thicker plastic.

I'd also say they weren't anywhere near as spinny as the other "top" plastic balls I've tried (XSF, Stiga, AP).

Still, it's easy enough to get used to.

AndySmith
04-21-2016, 11:08 AM
This is the ball that am talking about
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160421/2c64ca1bc44f288ffaf62956edb3ccb2.jpg

Everyone seems to be off on a tangent about the G40+ rather than this older made in china ball.

This one is pretty much the same as all seamed chinese balls. Low, inconsistent bounce. Poor durability. Carries spin well. Overall - yuk. The G40+ is better, but I still prefer seamless or Nittaku Premium over either Butterfly ball.

JHB
04-21-2016, 11:16 AM
Well at least it's not just me!

For those who say it's not heavy, that may be so (physical weight wise), but the coating and the general "thickness" makes it feel heavy - It's almost like the ball is made of a much thicker plastic.

I'd also say they weren't anywhere near as spinny as the other "top" plastic balls I've tried (XSF, Stiga, AP).

Still, it's easy enough to get used to.

I've not laid hands on the G40+ yet -Tees Sport were out of stock for a while - but a couple of people have brought the Chinese-made Butterfly 40+ to Kingston and I found those a bit light and airy. I've probably said this before but you gotta try the Nittaku Premium 40+ if you haven't already - that ball seems closest to the Nittaku Premium celluloid ball that I'm used to.

Oh, and they are all like cannonballs compared to the fondly-remembered 38mm balls of yore. Yes, I'm that old !

Ardenhouse165
04-21-2016, 11:40 AM
Everyone seems to be off on a tangent about the G40+ rather than this older made in china ball.

This one is pretty much the same as all seamed chinese balls. Low, inconsistent bounce. Poor durability. Carries spin well. Overall - yuk. The G40+ is better, but I still prefer seamless or Nittaku Premium over either Butterfly ball.

Sorry Andy, thought that these old seamed balls had been around for quite a while, and we must be talking about the newer G40+ balls. Agree with you about the seamed Butterfly 40+ balls, poor inconsistent bounce, which if you land on the seam react differently. Lighter, more floaty, feel to them. XSF seamless much better IMO.

ps (off topic) Thanks for the Adidas rubbers, going a treat on TBS blade, especially with the G40+ balls :D

Suga D
04-21-2016, 02:54 PM
....The colour is also odd, looking like they have been played with for a while already.

I hope this doesn´t turnout that i´m becoming colourblind, but are you really sure you're not talkin' of the Easy Ball??
My G40+ are whiter than white!
Brighter than any other Ball i have, and I have a few, just take a peep, man...

d3ss3n
04-21-2016, 03:07 PM
Are you sure you're not talkin' of the Easy Ball??
My G40+ are whiter than white!
Brighter than any other Ball i have, and I have a few...
Unfortunately for me i wont be able to order any Butterfly product at all since the company has stopped shipping internationally. So i have to adjust to any other 40+ ball..any advice would be welcome

Suga D
04-21-2016, 04:53 PM
I don't know where you're from, but if there isn't a BTY distributor in your area, you should at least be able to order from www.butterfly.tt

d3ss3n
04-21-2016, 05:34 PM
I don't know where you're from, but if there isn't a BTY distributor in your area, you should at least be able to order from www.butterfly.tt
I am from Mauritius Island and i did not find any distributor to my country yet.

Baal
04-22-2016, 01:42 AM
Go with the Nittaku Japan 40+. Or go with a seamless ball. Any of those can be shipper from various international vendors who don't have the stupid restrictions that Btfly has on sale of their products.

Reviews on G40+ are here: http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/equipment/balls/11310-g40

Now this particular Butterfly 40+ ball that the poster wanted to know about (and can't get in Mauritius) is not a G40+, and it basically similar to a Double Fish 40+. I personally don't like them.

d3ss3n
04-22-2016, 05:52 AM
Go with the Nittaku Japan 40+. Or go with a seamless ball. Any of those can be shipper from various international vendors who don't have the stupid restrictions that Btfly has on sale of their products.

Reviews on G40+ are here: http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/equipment/balls/11310-g40

Now this particular Butterfly 40+ ball that the poster wanted to know about (and can't get in Mauritius) is not a G40+, and it basically similar to a Double Fish 40+. I personally don't like them.
I dont like this Butterfly 40+ as well but its being used in every tournament in my country since start of this year. Thats why i wanted to get my hands on these balls

d3ss3n
04-22-2016, 06:24 AM
By the way Baal, i am the poster wanting to know if this Butterfly poly ball can be shipped to Mauritius Island and if its not possible then i would have to try out other balls.

NDH
04-22-2016, 09:04 AM
If you can wait until later in the year, I'll be in Mauritius! lol

d3ss3n
04-22-2016, 09:27 AM
If you can wait until later in the year, I'll be in Mauritius! lol
it will be too late mate...thanks anyway for the offer.

d3ss3n
04-22-2016, 02:33 PM
I have tried contacting butterfly but they stopped responding as soon as i told them where i am located. Dont know why

Baal
04-22-2016, 02:42 PM
I see. If you can't get the Butterfly 40+, my recommendation is to train with Double Fish. Will be almost exactly the same I think.

d3ss3n
04-22-2016, 05:42 PM
I want to try something better than that. Any advice?

Baal
04-22-2016, 07:12 PM
OK.

If you want to use a ball that is as close to the Butterfly 40+ ball that will be used in your country (but which you can't get) then you should use the Double Fish. It is the closest. Neither one is all that good but you will be at least training with something that will be similar to what you will use. In fact, both are almost certainly made at the same factory. These are currently the best of the Chinese seamed balls, which is not saying much.

Now if you want the best ball, irrespective of the type of ball that you will compete with, most people would say the Nittaku Japan 40+ ball. That would be my strongest suggestion.

If you want a decent ball for a much better price go with a 3-star seamless.

d3ss3n
04-22-2016, 08:55 PM
OK.

If you want to use a ball that is as close to the Butterfly 40+ ball that will be used in your country (but which you can't get) then you should use the Double Fish. It is the closest. Neither one is all that good but you will be at least training with something that will be similar to what you will use. In fact, both are almost certainly made at the same factory. These are currently the best of the Chinese seamed balls, which is not saying much.

Now if you want the best ball, irrespective of the type of ball that you will compete with, most people would say the Nittaku Japan 40+ ball. That would be my strongest suggestion.

If you want a decent ball for a much better price go with a 3-star seamless.
Thank you very much for your input Baal. I will try buying either Double Fish or Nittaku

Baal
04-23-2016, 02:11 AM
One thing to keep in mind. Nittaku sells a 40+ that is made in China. It is a re-labeled DHS ball and it is terrible! It is called Nittaku SHA.

Make sure the Nittaku 40+ ball you buy is Made in Japan. Those are very different and those are the good ones.

d3ss3n
04-23-2016, 05:54 AM
So i should buy the Nittaku 3 star 40+ premium ball which is made in japan. I will look forward to it bro. Thanks a lot

JHB
04-23-2016, 06:19 PM
So i should buy the Nittaku 3 star 40+ premium ball which is made in japan. I will look forward to it bro. Thanks a lot

That's the one. There's a picture of it in Suga D's post on the first page of this thread.

enrikeitor
04-25-2016, 05:32 PM

I was about to write something like you said. I think that they are too heavy and hard. At the club where I play we use Xu Shao Fa ***

Enviado desde mi XT1058 mediante Tapatalk

Baal
04-25-2016, 05:49 PM
I was about to write something like you said. I think that they are too heavy and hard. At the club where I play we use Xu Shao Fa ***

Enviado desde mi XT1058 mediante Tapatalk

1. One thing about balls is that the overall hardness can affect how heavy a ball feels. Either very soft or very hard can feel heavy. (Imagine kicking a partially deflated football, it often feels heavy even thought it is actually a bit lighter). Also of course diameter and smoothness affects the way the ball flies through the air and that can mean it feels heavy because you subconsciously figure out that you have to swing a bit harder.

2. A lot of people feel like Nittaku Japan 40+ is heavy but in fact it is by far the lightest plastic ball (I have weighed several types of plastic balls with a sensitive laboratory balance). In fact, unlike every other plastic ball, when the Nittaku Japan 40+ came out it was almost too light for ITTF 2016 standards (2.65-2.67 g)!!! Now they are right at where they should be, right about 2.70 grams. Remember that nearly all celluloid balls were around 2.65 grams, so that is part of why people say that Nittaku Premium plays most like celluloid, along with the bounce height).

3. The early Chinese seamed balls were all too heavy (2.80-2.85 g) but now they are within allowable standards (around 2.75 grams). The XSF balls are all at that weight too. The Chinese seamed balls (such as Double Fish and Butterfly 40+) have three main problems. They bounce low. They are not always very round. They still have durability problems, although this is improving somewhat.

4. By contrast, some people think that seamless balls like XSF have actually gotten worse. I see more complaints about egg-shaped balls and fracturing. In my view XSF is still durable but when it breaks it fractures catastrophically and shatters into pieces. Some people find it actually bounces too high (but that is far better than bouncing too low). It plays slower for sure. I still prefer them to Chinese seamed balls, but not as much as when they first came out.

5. The new Butterfly G40+ balls is an entirely different experience. Some people love it. I am not a big fan. Damn thing is completely smooth on the external surface and this affects the way it plays in a major way -- fast, no arc, and slides -- and this gets even worse with a little bit of wear. Same price as Nittaku Japan, so why settle? Also, of course, the bizarre sound, although I personally don't care so much about that.

6. DHS, currently makers of the world's worst plastic balls (sold under many trade names including Nittaku SHA), will soon be introducing something called the D40, which will be made of a different and better material, smaller seam (as with the good Nittakus) and better overall play. I will believe ity plays better when I see it. Someone reported that they had managed to obtain some from a DHS distributor and thought the ball still sucked, but who knows whether this is really true? I will buy some as soon as they are sold and report on what I find, and I certainly hope they are better. More good balls is good for the sport.

d3ss3n
04-25-2016, 06:56 PM
I will buy the Nittaku premium balls from tabletennis11

d3ss3n
06-30-2016, 06:19 PM
Finally after all thats been said, i bought the Xushaofa plastic ball..i am quite satisfied with it..nice consistency and good durability

Baal
07-01-2016, 12:32 AM
Quite a few people thank that the older Chinese Butterfly 40+ is a re-labeled Double Fish. It is not the worst of the Chinese seamed balls, which is damning with faint praise. At the end of the day, it is still a seamed Chinese plastic ball. One disclosure, though, is that I haven't tried one that has been made within the last six months, so if they have made some sort of recent improvement I would have missed it.

Baal
07-01-2016, 12:33 AM
Finally after all thats been said, i bought the Xushaofa plastic ball..i am quite satisfied with it..nice consistency and good durability

Maybe not the absolute best plastic ball made today (I still think that's the Nittaku Premium 40+), but good value for the money (by plastic ball standards). I can have considerable fun playing with them (XSF). That's all that matters.

d3ss3n
07-01-2016, 06:07 AM
I will maybe try the Nittaku premium 40+ after but yeah good value for money these XSF polly balls.

d3ss3n
07-01-2016, 08:51 AM
By the way they stopped using Butterfly Poly balls during tournaments because Butterfly does not ship to our country anymore. So the Mauritius Table Tennis Association started using Stiga Premium 40+ instead in tournaments

Paw
12-12-2016, 09:33 PM
Unfortunately G40 seamless *** is the worst ball I have ever played. The worst thing is they (ETTA) would use it everywhere :( D3ss3n - you are very lucky that your TTA stopped use it. Maybe I move to your country :)

Baal
12-12-2016, 09:55 PM
To be honest, I prefer the G40+ Btfly practice ball to the G40+ with the pink logo that is ITTF approved!

Baal
12-12-2016, 09:58 PM
Unfortunately G40 seamless *** is the worst ball I have ever played. The worst thing is they (ETTA) would use it everywhere :( D3ss3n - you are very lucky that your TTA stopped use it. Maybe I move to your country :)

The G40+ is not seamless. I don't particularly like it but I prefer it to seamed 40+ Chinese balls (such as the regular Btfly 40+).

Btfly does not market a seamless ball. See website below.

http://www.old.ittf.com/_front_page/ittf1.asp?category=balls

Baal
12-12-2016, 10:01 PM
By the way, the DHS D40+ is now listed on the official approval list from ITTF. It is rumored to be similar to the Nittaku Premium 40+.

But I still can't find anyplace that actually sells it.

rokphish
12-13-2016, 02:27 AM
If the prototype is a good indication, no way similar to Nittaku Premium.

Here's my personal preference:
1. Nittaku Premium
2. Sanwei/Xiom/Xushaofa
3. Yinhe
4. DHS new (i based on playing with prototype, haven't tried the released commercial version)
5. Butterfly (need to try again to confirm)
6. Palio/DHS old

CroneOne
12-13-2016, 06:21 AM
Interesting. I've actually starting using nittaku jtop training balls because my prediction is that everyone will follow nittaku's suit within the next few years. It's a no brainer especially from a sales standpoint.

Suga D
12-13-2016, 04:06 PM
Interesting. I've actually starting using nittaku jtop training balls because my prediction is that everyone will follow nittaku's suit within the next few years. It's a no brainer especially from a sales standpoint.

Believe it or not, but there are people that don't like the NP40+ very much. Saying it's too spinny and stuff like that. I've heard stuff like that at tournaments...

Everyone has his preferences.

vvk1
12-13-2016, 04:22 PM

My experience with G40 is different. Never used/use it in practice, nor in any of the local leagues. However, it was in use in 3 out of 10 ETTA/TTE tournaments I played since the beginning of summer, and some of my best wins happened with G40.

As in TTD's review of the ball, it feels a bit faster, the trajectory seems flatter and dips faster/lower after the bounce when looping. Which works great when you're a looper, I guess.

NextLevel
12-13-2016, 05:08 PM
I bought the D40+ 1* training ball. IT's a little weird but I like it.

CroneOne
12-13-2016, 06:44 PM
Believe it or not, but there are people that don't like the NP40+ very much. Saying it's too spinny and stuff like that. I've heard stuff like that at tournaments...

Everyone has his preferences.

I suppose that's true. They've introduced so much difference in the ball that people now have preference in balls. Of course people who like the slow and low spin balls wouldn't want them to get more difficult to play with. The other day a celluloid ball got in the mix at the club and a veteran player (defender style) said he didn't want to use it because people could whip it by too fast. Dumbing down the sport. I can't think of another ball sport that has done that.

NextLevel
12-13-2016, 07:03 PM
I suppose that's true. They've introduced so much difference in the ball that people now have preference in balls. Of course people who like the slow and low spin balls wouldn't want them to get more difficult to play with. The other day a celluloid ball got in the mix at the club and a veteran player (defender style) said he didn't want to use it because people could whip it by too fast. Dumbing down the sport. I can't think of another ball sport that has done that.

Wimbledon slowed down the courts by changing the mix of grass and used bigger balls so that it could make rallies longer. Just saying.

CroneOne
12-13-2016, 07:23 PM
True.

-I was just imagining what would happen if the sport golf started messing with quality of the balls..

And of course they are trying to limit them as well

http://www.mygolfspy.com/jack-nicklaus-change-the-frigging-golf-ball/

d3ss3n
12-14-2016, 02:23 AM
And with the butterfly poly ball used in tournaments earllier, i injured myself and got a tennis elbow...now i am on recovery and away from my favorite sport..dont know when the pain will subside

Der_Echte
12-14-2016, 04:58 AM
BTW 40+ performs like the other seamed plastic balls... bounces like it has Mexican jumping bean inside it.

G40+ is a different animal. Real irritating ping like it is broken, carries more topspin late so you gotta speed up your timing in top to top rallies... but the short game bounce seemed consistent enough for me to not wanna step on that ball like a cockroach.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

d3ss3n
12-14-2016, 05:20 AM
I prefer the XSF balls instead...havent tried the Nittaku premium balls

Baal
12-14-2016, 10:22 AM
G40+ has a tendency to slide on the table, especially when it is worn. It has a different and smoother surface than any other plastic ball. Takes some getting used to. I really don't like it much.

AndySmith
12-14-2016, 11:41 AM
G40+ has a tendency to slide on the table, especially when it is worn. It has a different and smoother surface than any other plastic ball. Takes some getting used to. I really don't like it much.

+1, straight out of the box it has a slick surface like a 4 year old worn celluloid ball. The sound I can get used to but the greasy feel is tougher. Of the four main ball types (seamless, chinese seamed, nittaku premium, G40+), this is the one that I struggle to adapt to the most when switching.

Suga D
12-14-2016, 04:59 PM
....but the short game bounce seemed consistent enough for me to not wanna step on that ball like a cockroach.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Hahahaaa
[Emoji23]
This is crackin' me up.

Der_Echte
12-15-2016, 12:39 AM
Glad someone read it. I meant every word too. Seamed plastic balls with poor bounce need to go.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

scoops
12-15-2016, 04:24 PM
The Butterfly g40+ is horrible I said. The sound is terrible so different to the others. But then I played a tournament with it and had no choice. Once you get past the sound of them they are actually good balls I think. The bounce is way more stable and predictable I think. The irregular bounce from other balls is so annoying, especially when it's a critical point hey.
I think besides the nittaku ball these are pretty damn close. If only the sound, aghhhhhh

UpSideDownCarl
12-15-2016, 06:50 PM
Oh, I guess I will weigh in on the G40+. I have hit with them several times and I have found them fine. I did not have much problem with them. The downside is, as everyone has said, the sound and the slick surface. The slick surface also means the G40+ wears out a lot faster than the NP or the Seamless.

But there is another downside that I may not have noticed as a general issue without it being pointed out.

42&backpains runs monthly tournaments where they have to use that ball because of sponsorship.

He said that when he tests a gross of 144 for roundness, about 3/4 of them don't pass the wobble test. Which means most of them are not quite round. I hit with a friend of mine with one because I had one and he wanted to try it. We hit three balls and he did the roundness test and said, it isn't round. But he agreed that it still played okay.

Let's see if 42&backpains uses his spidey senses and finds this thread to give comment.

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Baal
12-15-2016, 06:59 PM
The smoothness may be why they fly so straight and fast. They also lose less spin when they hit the table. Very small effects but a TT ball only weighs 2.75 g and in our sport really small things can make a difference.

On a loop, the G40 will arc less but will retain more spin when it hits opponent blade. A bit of a strange combination.