Fang Bo Amazing

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Okay, I posted something in the China Super League thread but I think this deserves its own thread. In this match Fang Bo looks amazing to me. The amount of spin he is getting on his serves, his forehand, his backhand, his loops are crazy, the angles he is getting, his speed and footwork. I don't know, but this looks like something not finished but he might be the next great player to dominate the world rankings. I have not seen a shakehand player with forehand loops quite like this. That much spin, that low and that much power. I loved watching this match.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
This is what I am seeing. The main thing that he needs to work on as he matures is that he is a little out of control. A lot of the points Timo gets from him, he gives to Timo because he is a little out of control. But his footwork is crazy. I have never seen a shakehand player with that kind of footwork. Wang Liqin, when he was in his prime was sort of and evolution of the game because of how, as a shakehand player, he could do some of that stuff where he is firing from the backhand side like a penhold player. This kid looks like he has taken the next step. He really looks like he has the footwork of one of those penhold players who only uses his forhand. And his forehand is damn good. I don't know that I have seen anyone play shakehand and keep the ball that low with that much spin. And the angles he is getting are amazing, again, also like a penholder. But, he also has that backhand that Zhang Jike uses so well, and he sometimes footworks to receive with his backhand on the forehand side and, with his backhand he is getting these amazing angles with speed and spin as well. I have a feeling he will become one of the greats. There may be a period of time where nobody can beat him in two or three years.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
Yeah in a couple years perhaps he'll get his period , but I also thought that xu xin or zhang jike would be the measure of all things and it still hasnt happened.

But Fang's match against Timo was very impressive! He dominated Timo from the beginning and he really has an amazing footwork.Well let's see how he is going to evolve.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yeah in a couple years perhaps he'll get his period , but I also thought that xu xin or zhang jike would be the measure of all things and it still hasnt happened.

But Fang's match against Timo was very impressive! He dominated Timo from the beginning and he really has an amazing footwork.Well let's see how he is going to evolve.

Yeah, you never can really tell what is going to happen. But for a kid who is not even in the top 100 to dominate the #2 player in the world says something. He is definitely not ready and has some maturing and some skills to develop. But I watched him play a year ago and was really not very impressed. :)

And it is true that right now, nobody is really dominating and there are a lot of good solid players. But Jike did win the World Championships. And man his return of serve is good. Too bad he got injured. I hope he recovers without too much of a layover and without too much of a setback. But he has trouble turning to the forehand and this kid really does not. Once Jike is turned to his forehand he has a lot of power. But when he gets caught facing the backhand and needing to take a forehand stroke, he is awkward and not so comfortable and the result is a huge loss of power and accuracy. Xu Xin, I think he needs the mental game because everything else looks like it is there to me.

But I think Fang Bo might have something I have not seen before. It will be fun to see how he progresses over the next few years. But it does look like he is a few years away from reaching his potential.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
I believe many of us know that Fang Bo was the World Champion in the Category of Juniors in WJTTC 2009.
Here is the final of wjttc09 with Yan An ::

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I believe many of us know that Fang Bo was the World Champion in the Category of Juniors in WJTTC 2009.
Here is the final of wjttc09 with Yan An ::

That is what I saw a few years ago. It is great to see again and great to see how much both Yan An and Fang Bo's playing has developed in two years. And I love watching Fang Bo play. I think I now have an new favorite player. :) I just love his style.

Also, thanks Janus, for the great videos on your YouTube Channel.