trying to put things in the right way

This user has no status.
Hi guys !
I don't know what I really want by writting thisbut there is my story
I started playing tabletennis last year at school with a teacher, my setup was a wood all blade with 2 flextra 1.5mm : it was slow, the spin was good but I though that it was not enough to make trouble for my opponent.
Then after 6 months with this setup, I changed it for a wood off blade (729 bomb) with 2 friendship 729 super fx 2.2 FH, 1.8 BH : it was faster, my spin was better but I noticed that the ball went sometimes over the table or in the net with my FH when I topspinned, but when I switched the BH side to my FH side (1.8mm) my ball was better.
Well for the new saison, I wanted to try some tensor rubber so I bought a wood off blade (dhs pg7) paired with 2 bluefire m3. This year I play in a little club and not at school anymore, there is no coatch in this club... I think my game was good, I just got some bad techniques to correct but I think it is because my setup is too fast.
After 3 months, I changed again for something I wanted to try : tb alc blade with 2 mark v 2mm. I liked the stability of the blade. Ive played with this for 3 months, my strokes were consistent when I was trainning but in match I make many mistakes... One day, my opponent told me that my game was good but not enough to take a point, maybe there was not enough spin on my ball. So in order to try, I changed my rubbers for a t05 2.1mm fh and rakza 7 soft 2mm bh xD
It is my actual setup.
Well it was a little greedy but I really enjoyed my t05, my topspin was so powerfull, the spin was so strong... for few hours only... I think my t05 is about 80% capacity now.
When I train, my strokes are very consistent but in match it is sometimes bad, my bh is bad when the ball start to spin. I can't beat a control player, I give so many point by mishitting the ball... I tend to play agressively when it doesn't need...
I think that my technique is not as consistent as I though or something is wrong...
(I didn't do competition, my opponents aren't highly ranked)
Well for the next saison I want to improve my game, even if I don't compete, I want to play more seriously. So like I said above, I don't know what I expect from this post, but any advice, comment,... is good to take !
Thanks for reading =)

This user has no status.
It's certain and totally natural that your technique is not consistent. You play tt for only one year, you have no coach in your club and you change setups too soon. If you really like the sport and you want to improve, the most important is that you get proper coaching.
The difference between your matchplay and training clearly shows that even if we assume that your shots are technically proper, you most likely lack good footwork and tactics. You need a coach (like we all do)!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
And even though you are using a setup that is on the fast side for someone who is not playing for very long, the setup is probably not the real problem. Even though a slower blade that does not have carbon might help a bit. Still, you can learn everything you need for getting to a high level with your setup. So the things you need to work on to improve your technique are the issue.

In other words, what NextLevel said: video.

Have you ever watched video of yourself playing? That is always worth it. You learn a lot when you get to see what you are actually doing. It is your choice if you want to post video of yourself online. But there are people who would be able to help you figure out what you most need to work on if you did post video.

This user has no status.
A good dwelly blade is necessary.
Go for yasaka all+ blades. Yasaka extra is a good option.
Since you have rakza rubbers, you might use them on it. Get a coach, or watch videos and try to incorporate good stuff. Feel the ball more.
If I talk about myself, the problem was defence. Also I liked to keep my strokes long. Hence I got chinese rubbers. They are good, but like you , I am not a regular player, have got into stuff that keeps me busy. Though I like my setups, but I need to improve my game, hence rather than getting frustrated by equipment, I try to practice more, to increase my level.
You may work similarly. If you could, get the setup as I said. And no tensors, go for modern classics only.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Reactions: thekleifheit13
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
To get proper feedback, you need to post videotape.

When I'm at the pearly gates
This will be on my videotape, my videotape
Mephistopheles is just beneath
And he's reaching up to grab me

This is one for the good days
And I have it all here in red, blue, green
In red, blue, green

You are my center when I spin away
Out of control on videotape, on videotape
On videotape, on videotape, on videotape
On videotape, on videotape, on videotape...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
I'm thinking about slowing my setup, it might help I guess.
What can I take ? I prefer a spin oriented blade paired with two tensors if possible (good spin and control)
For the blade I'm thinking about the bty primorac or stiga allround evo... But there is maybe other good ones for me..

do you feel confident when hitting the ball with power and gets it in during the practice? If yes, then i don't think it's necessary for you to change to a slower setup. I tried slower setups but always end up going back to carbon.

If you do well in practice but screw them up in matches, most probably it more of a mentality problem and not your technique. Making sure you're not too tense will help a lot in match situation where you can think clearly about your next steps

This user has no status.
Well when practising, I feel confident, the first balls are sometimes bad but when I'm ready, it is OK.
But I have some trouble with my backhand, I put the ball in the net or over the table more than in. Backhand topspin is a little bit hard for me, sometimes look not natural... And topspinning a backspin is worse xD
I thought getting a rakza 7 soft will give me the needed control but it seems not enough.
Also, when I start to play my strokes are usually good, but after playing 1.5-2 hours, my body begin to be tired and my strokes become worse, I think it is because I can't follow my speed setup anymore...

Yeah I know I have to improve my technique, do you think that it is better to use the same brand ? Like you said rakza with yasaka blade?
What are modern classic rubbers ?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Based on your description, it does sound like a slightly slower all wood blade would help you. Everyone is different. What worked for laistrogian might now work for you.

The brand of the blade and the brand of the rubbers does not matter as much as you getting a setup that helps you hold the ball on the blade face to spin the ball better and get more control.

5 ply, all wood blades with good flex, good feel (feedback) and good dwell time really can help a developing player improve his/her technique and level of spin.

Here are some ideas of rackets that might be good for you:

Less expensive:

1) Tibhar Stratus Power Wood
2) Yasaka Sweden Extra
3) Stiga Allround Evolution
4) Stiga Offensive Classic
5) Butterfly Primorac Off-

Here are a few more expensive options:

1) Nittaku Acoustic
2) Nittaku Violin
3) OSP Virtuoso Off-

You can use any offensive rubbers you want on any of those blades. T05, T05fx, R7, MX-P, EL-P, FX-P will all work on any of those blades. So will most other offensive tensor rubbers.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Although equipment can hinder imprvement, I usually say skill is more important than equipment.

I agree with the above comments: work on your technique if you know it isn't good.

However, most people don't realize don't look deeply enough at the source of the problem.

If you have have only played for a short amount of time, then I don't expect you to be able to analyze the speed spin depth and height of the ball in a third of a second.

But you must realize that when you are practicing with someone, they are usually giving you only a particular kind of shot, with the same pace, spin, depth and height every time.

Praticing in a constant environment is good for learning a technique.

However, if you have already learned the technique, then it is time to learn how to adapt your technique to different scenarios with the one second we have between shots. After all, good technique is adjustable to different scenarios.

If your technique is good in pratice, but "fails" in matchplay, it doesn't mean that your technique wasn't consistent, it just means you couldn't adapt to the ball quickly enough.

If the shot your faced with changes every point, you are going to have to adjust your technique every point. (you almost never get the same shot twice in a row in a game).

So what you have to do is practice different variations of your stroke, not the stroke itself.

After that, you have to learn to use the right one within the one second you have to react.

For example, pratice recieving long balls, then shorter ones, then spinny ones, then not so spinny ones, and then practice combinations of spin and depth.

Granted, this takes a crap ton of time and practice; however, this doesn't just apply to beginners: it applies to every single player in the world, no matter what the sport.

We all must work on this. We can practice all we want, but if we can't adapt to the ball, we will never be good in matchplay.

It is easy to call "not being able to adjust well" as a mentality problem, but I'm sure it is much deeper than that. Mentality definitely could be a problem, but for most players who do well in practice but not in matches, I doubt it is mentality.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Yeah what you said is right songdavid98, my strokes are suite consistent during training, but in match, sometimes, I'm not so good when I have to adapt my technique to the situation (well my backhand still sucks xD).
I need to find someone with who I can practise in my club due to there is no coach.
I'm in a little club so I will try my best to do these things (exercices + videotape if possible).

Carl, my retailer only has the stiga allround évolution, offensive classic and primorac from your list, so I will choose one of these.
I see in the forum that you have told about these three blade, about the plies and that you prefer the stiga one because of the thin limba outer ply in comparison with the primorac which has thicker limba outer ply (2 plies). What do you recommand in the end ? I prefer something with very good quality because I want to stick with it as long as possible or until I become stronger and good dwell time to produce more spin. I think I will pair the blade with something like a evolution rubber (1.8-2mm in fh and 1.7-1.8mm in bh : is that too fast?) or a xiom Vega pro or europe rubber (for the price?) but I don't know so much about these rubber about their quality... No one has these rubber in my club.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Although equipment can hinder imprvement, I usually say skill is more important than equipment.

I agree with the above comments: work on your technique if you know it isn't good.

However, most people don't realize don't look deeply enough at the source of the problem.

If you have have only played for a short amount of time, then I don't expect you to be able to analyze the speed spin depth and height of the ball in a third of a second.

But you must realize that when you are practicing with someone, they are usually giving you only a particular kind of shot, with the same pace, spin, depth and height every time.

However, if you have already learned the technique, then it is time to learn how to adapt your technique to different scenarios with the one second we have between shots. After all, good technique is adjustable to different scenarios.

If your technique is good in pratice, but "fails" in matchplay, it doesn't mean that your technique wasn't consistent, it just means you couldn't adapt to the ball quickly enough.

If the shot your faced with changes every point, you are going to have to adjust your technique every point. (you almost never get the same shot twice in a row in a game).

So what you have to do is practice different variations of your stroke, not the stroke itself.

After that, you have to learn to use the right one within the one second you have to react.

For example, pratice recieving long balls, then shorter ones, then spinny ones, then not so spinny ones, and then practice combinations of spin and depth.

Granted, this takes a crap ton of time and practice; however, this doesn't just apply to beginners: it applies to every single player in the world, no matter what the sport.

We all must work on this. We can practice all we want, but if we can't adapt to the ball, we will never be good in matchplay.

It is easy to call "not being able to adjust well" as a mentality problem, but I'm sure it is much deeper than that. Mentality definitely could be a problem, but for most players who do well in practice but not in matches, I doubt it is mentality.

Hmmm... Seems I underestimated you the last time we played. A worthy opponent. I look forward to our next match.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Shinhyun, any of those three blades are great. The feel of the Butterfly blade is different than the Stiga blades. I like the feel of those two Stiga blades better than the Primorac Off- because the Stiga blades feel crisper. But the Butterfly blade plays very well. It just has a different kind of feel.

Of the two Stiga blades, I like the Allround Evolution better because it feels more solid on contact. However, the sturdier blade is the Offensive Classic. Even though the Allround Evolution feels solid in play, it is delicate. If you bang the edges of your blade a lot, Offensibe Classic is going to hold up better. And the Primorac is sturdier than either Stiga blade.

So take your pick! Any of the three are excellent choices.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews

Really good point! Also i like your profile picture :D OP-man ftw!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
I think I will go for a primorac (with a xiom Vega pro 1.8 fh and xiom Vega Europe 1.8 bh ?) it seems to be a nice setup in order to slow down my former one.
The primorac is build like the virtuoso right? I mean 4 limba and 1 ayous. It may feel the same ?

I'm not exactly sure about vega europe with 1.8 sponge as I used the 2.0 before and it bottoms out super fast. How about using the rakza from your tb alc?