How will getting a Tenergy/Evolution rubber in 1.7mm sponge affect its looping?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Hi guys,

I use a Joo se hyuk blade, a chopping defensive blade but certainly not a slow blade.
I use long pimples on the BH and attack on the FH.
I currently use a 2.0mm MX-P on the FH. I'm thinking about incorporating a FH chop and practicing this in the off season. I want to be able to chop as well as fast loop/loopdrive on my FH.
If I was to change to a 1.7mm sponge for my FH, how would this affect the looping/loop driving side of my game? I know it would help with chopping but I don't want it to be detrimental to my attacking game.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Well, depending on the power of your strokes, the 1.7 sponge will bottom out a little easier than a 1.9 would. But on the other Hand some people don't mind a sponge bottoming out, 'cause they like to feel the wood.
I've played the T05 in 1.7 for a while (on the BH though) and on the BH it didn't bottom out that much as it would do on my fh. Although the spring sponge is harder than many other sponges it still would do that a little too frequently for my taste, so why you don't consider 1.9?

This user has no status.
In short, 1.7 - 1.8 mm is the most balanced thickness, to balance between ability to generate spin and insensitiveness to opponent spin, for most normal rubber. :)

Note. I can never agree that Joo is a chopper blade. More like blocker blade to me, so stiff and hard, feel like it "glassify" my rubbers compared to defence alpha.

Sent from my T1X Plus using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
When I was testing 1.7 Tenergies few months ago, no matter what blade I stick them on they always worked, I really enjoyed it like a filthy casual. It's great for people who just want to ping pong. The feel improved, the ball flew very accurately to where you placed it, felt like I was playing with Rasant Powergrip again (a flat hitting rubber). The best part was just being able to push and chop and carry the ball over like it was nothing regardless the spins. The only problem I noticed which immediately rendered thin rubbers useless for me was the ability to generate spin. Yes I was surprised that I did not bottom out a 1.7mm on a OFF++ blade, yes I did not notice decrease in speed like people claim, but the spin was lacking and I was returning a lot of non threatening balls (no spin) when I didn't play super aggressive. That meant the opponent got the upper hand and was forcing me now to block his power loop shots.
Our number 4 in the club did a similar test buying a Tenergy 64 1.7 and 1.9 for his Waldner Carbon Senso. After they were worn (well they change them every 3 months....stupid I know) he immediately went back to 2.1mm. His game was fire. He pretty much never chops, attack, attack and loops the crap out of every ball from all sorts of positions. I'm playing in a similar way.

Hope this info helps someone

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Well, depending on the power of your strokes, the 1.7 sponge will bottom out a little easier than a 1.9 would. But on the other Hand some people don't mind a sponge bottoming out, 'cause they like to feel the wood.
I've played the T05 in 1.7 for a while (on the BH though) and on the BH it didn't bottom out that much as it would do on my fh. Although the spring sponge is harder than many other sponges it still would do that a little too frequently for my taste, so why you don't consider 1.9?

I wonder how MX-S in 1.9 would chop... I've played with MX-S all season and really liked it. However I used the thickest sponge. I should try a thinner sponge and see how it chops and attacks.

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I wonder how MX-S in 1.9 would chop... I've played with MX-S all season and really liked it. However I used the thickest sponge. I should try a thinner sponge and see how it chops and attacks.

Since I haven't played with the mx-s for more than 10minutes it probably makes sense if someone else could elaborate here.
But what I can say is the 1.9 T05 sponge bottoms out much less than the 1.7 does

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
It would bottom out on counter loops, causing the throw angle to go from high to low. This can be infuriating. You'd really have to practice at brushing more. I'd go wth 1.9 unless you're really going to brush loop a lot, or if you are going to play a mroe classic defensive gam.

On chop, bottoming out does not matter much.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
sorry to barge in ,but i was going to post a similar question ,anyways i was thinking on putting a T05 1.9 on my bh on a Long 5 but now im not so sure ,although i think 1.9 is on the safe side ,what you guys think ?
If you're not a pro player then you won't have any problems with a 1.9 Tenergy bottoming out on your BH :)

Reactions: Suga D