What Streches do you us for Tabletennis?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
About a month ago I noticed before my coach would start hitting she would snap her forearm over and over, not like she was practicing a stroke but holding her arm in a fist, back side of her hand facing behind her and arm angled like she was flexing a bicep muscle. And she would just go about snaping her forearm up and toward her head, and then back down to being straight to the side parallel with the ground. I had also seen Danny seemiller Sr. Do this before and wondered what the hell they were doing.

It wasn't like they were doing a shadow stroke and I tried doing it myself and felt like it wasn't doing shit. Then last sunday during a group lesson session she had us all doing it and saying during our strokes she wants our forearm to touch (meaning around where your elbow bends she wanted contact to be made between the forearm portion of your arm and the bicep portion). It all made sense for a moment, and then at the end of lessons someone asked me. "are there any stretches I can do to loosen me up so my strokes aren't so tight?"

I honestly had no answer because I had never really thought about it. I just always thought "relax your stroke and you'll do better shuki" and I then asked my coach this question. She said "Oh Yes!, stretching relaxes you so much, always do it before you play so you can have more relaxed play. Remember when we did this?" She then showed us the forearm snapping motion. "This helps relax your arm so you can use your forearm correct." Apparently that actually relaxed the muscles in your arm.

For me I played better tonight in our drills and game scenarios than I ever have. (I peak a lot so that's probably what's happening) But part of me wants to think it was that relaxing of the arm that helped. But another part of me is ready to fall from this peak and go into a vally for a few days before rising back up.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Hi, I'm having trouble visualising this, are there videos or diagrams on-line I can refer to? Thanks in advance

Sent from my Lenovo K50-t5 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
About a month ago I noticed before my coach would start hitting she would snap her forearm over and over, not like she was practicing a stroke but holding her arm in a fist, back side of her hand facing behind her and arm angled like she was flexing a bicep muscle. And she would just go about snaping her forearm up and toward her head, and then back down to being straight to the side parallel with the ground. I had also seen Danny seemiller Sr. Do this before and wondered what the hell they were doing.

It wasn't like they were doing a shadow stroke and I tried doing it myself and felt like it wasn't doing shit. Then last sunday during a group lesson session she had us all doing it and saying during our strokes she wants our forearm to touch (meaning around where your elbow bends she wanted contact to be made between the forearm portion of your arm and the bicep portion). It all made sense for a moment, and then at the end of lessons someone asked me. "are there any stretches I can do to loosen me up so my strokes aren't so tight?"

I honestly had no answer because I had never really thought about it. I just always thought "relax your stroke and you'll do better shuki" and I then asked my coach this question. She said "Oh Yes!, stretching relaxes you so much, always do it before you play so you can have more relaxed play. Remember when we did this?" She then showed us the forearm snapping motion. "This helps relax your arm so you can use your forearm correct." Apparently that actually relaxed the muscles in your arm.

For me I played better tonight in our drills and game scenarios than I ever have. (I peak a lot so that's probably what's happening) But part of me wants to think it was that relaxing of the arm that helped. But another part of me is ready to fall from this peak and go into a vally for a few days before rising back up.

Interesting... So you just do biceps curls without wheight and more with a snap motion?

This user has no status.
Basic stretches work well for lower body - standing hamstring stretch, glute stretch, groin is especially important, and hip flexors. I like dynamic stretches for upper body since it teaches you to keep muscles relaxed during motion, which is what happens during our strokes. I like arm crossovers, arm circles, and wrist flexion/extension. If my biceps tendon is tight, I'll statically stretch the whole kinetic chain from my pec/shoulder to the biceps to the wrist. Stretching is extremely important for me because I carry a lot more bulk than your typical TT player, and because powerlifting naturally tightens up all your muscles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boogar
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
I do alot of mental streching, visualizing in my head what to do and put them into movements

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Also and interesting aproach. I read some stuff about visualization and on how you can improve by watchin top players play. Because your muscles will move in a very little fashion if you picture a movement in your head.

A friend of mine who is a very good parcour athlete has told me that to master skills you need to make a almost perfect mental image of yourself doing the skill in your head. So you can even practice your skill when laying in bed.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Those who practice visualization more often tends to develop faster and they move more smoothly

Visualization actually helps your nervous system sort out more efficient movement patterns. That stuff is good.

But here are some really useful stretches for stuff you use a lot in table tennis. These first two help keep you from getting tennis elbow. If you had tennis elbow they would help it get better.

The stretches that follow would be good for work and tension from table tennis that can affect the health of your lower back.

a1fa8e8f457e2515ed5e2de8c1ccf591.jpg

0bd9a8a1106b745b0c83db709feb980e.jpg

c9053cea389395e5bdf4ea5c77b2f3a7.jpg

f8a70e863de2dca9be6ab66bf8dd1582.jpg

7ebe7f518a0ce2c81f5f6a15b526b717.jpg

c465b26f2687d953abf92f7e8039be0e.jpg

36b717b223db27531823196798e0cc03.jpg

9ae3f7ec9909b34859a2b5f182975d27.jpg

92cabef1faf67600b4711351bd9965f1.jpg

fef9b8960a80de4e7ac1a800f3c7f0e5.jpg

31ef9addf9ff7b3fe7a894a47dbb130b.jpg

1f01bb136a2cb6ed399ef03144f08964.jpg

0db095cc1548497dd984a917d256d147.jpg

01d93d58f71d31a9d6e54cb262e8c3ed.jpg

958aec4a71b1fc2e9fce1f313d8f2fe9.jpg

But the dynamic relaxed movements you guys are talking about for the upper body are great for before practice. What I posted is all stuff that would be more valuable after practice unless you were having back problems or had tennis elbow.

With either of those scenarios, you would do the stretches before and after. And you might even do those stretches before you went to sleep and/or after you wake up in the morning.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Shadow drills done relaxed with the arm whippy would be good for warm up too as they will get your whole body warm in just they way you want for table tennis: legs, hips, core, spine. All those dynamic arm movements are what the arms need. But the rest of your body wants the shadow strokes, very relaxed and as whippy as possible.

And that specific warm up that Shuki is describing for the forearm/elbow joint whip is definitely really useful. But so are all the other arm movements TheKnife described.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Last edited:
Reactions: Boogar
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
When I trained with the Beijing team they were very thorough with their stretching particularly in areas around the hips and waist, lower back and legs.

I always like to do ham strings and hip flexors regularly as they are probably the muscles I find become the most tight for me.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
When I trained with the Beijing team they were very thorough with their stretching particularly in areas around the hips and waist, lower back and legs.

I always like to do ham strings and hip flexors regularly as they are probably the muscles I find become the most tight for me.

My money says that the CNT is also pretty thorough about strengthening those muscles, like side plank work.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Hi, I'm having trouble visualising this, are there videos or diagrams on-line I can refer to? Thanks in advance

Sent from my Lenovo K50-t5 using Tapatalk

I'll make one tonight (maybe) I never remember to bring my camera anywhere but always remember my tripod. imagine your arms out like you're pretending to be an airplane but with your palm facing forward. Now use your forearm and close it all the way. If you do it in slow motion fingertips start facing away from your body and move toward facing straight up and then a bit farther, toward your head. Now do this motion much quicker with your fist closed.

Reactions: gmiller2233
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
I stretch/warmup my hamstrings, my torso, and my lats/shoulders.

Hamstrings and torso are quick and easy.

Hamstrings: https://www.jefit.com/images/exercises/800_600/3721.jpg
Like this but with both feet (including heels if you can) on the ground

Torso:
What I do with for the torso, is fairly uncommon for some reason.
I turn my torso and arms one way (clockwise for example) and I turn my waist and one of my legs the other way (counter clockwise).
(If you do it hard enough, it cracks up your spine like how you crack your knuckles, so you might want to be careful)

Lats/shoulders:
Stretch your arms to its limits! (Try different directions and get creative.)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
I'm in need of a stretch routine for my shoulder. I have some directions that are pretty locked up. For instance I can't do a reverse pendulum serve because I'm much too tight and I don't move that way. Some of my old baseball stretches just hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I'm in need of a stretch routine for my shoulder. I have some directions that are pretty locked up. For instance I can't do a reverse pendulum serve because I'm much too tight and I don't move that way. Some of my old baseball stretches just hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will see if I can get some photos and film of a few things.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Here you go:

It does not matter how far you go. The idea with the stretches should be that you go to a place where the stretch still feels good. Not like torture. If you do that, as things open you will naturally go farther. But you are really just trying to release the tension. You are not worrying about how far you go.

I am just going to where I feel stretch. Someone more flexible would naturally go farther and someone less flexible will adapt the stretch by not going as far.

Some arm movements:

Some stretches.

This first one can also be done with your hands on the table.

79cbb5fd4c607168fc8adfba3f23e63a.jpg

258c64fe5f776e10f77eb2cd1789cc71.jpg

89d9f90e224abe51cde7b89a84993085.jpg

375e87f801413a498ac0919919abbf0f.jpg

987d56e824a2cc10fb057858017bc640.jpg

This next one is really just a deeper fancier version of the previous one.

394f70bf189e5da35c6555d1ca05eb99.jpg

And that last one, the easier version or the harder version can be done with movement:

That is a few that are worth it.