Interview - Martin Gumáň -SVK (highest WR - 449; U21 - 169)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Full Name: Martin Gumáň

Height: 190cm

Weight: 83kg

Highest rank: WR - 449; U21 - 169; SVK - no. 6

Currently playing: SKST Bratislava

martinguman.JPG

Interview:

What equipment you use?
Martin: Blade: Timo Boll ZLC Carbon, rubbers Tibhar Nimbus VIP, size max. on both sides.

With what equipment you started and how you decided for those you have now?
Martin: I remember I started with Klampar with srivers fx.. I tryed many rubbers, but these fit me best.. Me and my game.

What would you recommend to players - how to choose equipment?
Martin: First - player has to know what is his game. If he likes to be more offensive or more defensive or blocking.
That is the first step to find best for him. Also he has to know if he wants more power or more feeling. So he can choose
fast blade with slower rubbers or slower blade with faster rubbers..

When did you started table tennis and how did you get to it?
Martin: I started at the age of 9, and it was my dad who brought me into it, he was also my trainer.

9 years is kind of late to start with table tennis. For example chinese start at the age of 4..
Do you think you would be somewhere else if you would start sooner?
Martin: I dont think that it would make any difference if I would start sooner, but you can never know
Most important are conditions where you grow up and how serious you take the sport.
I never had that good conditions to play, I only played 2-3 times per week, where chinese already have 2 trainings daily at the age of 9 when I only began..

Aha.. that asks for the next question: How do you train now? Do you use multiball training too?
Martin: Now it is much different. Now I am professional, I do this sport for living.. So now we have 2-3 trainings daily
The third one is fitness.. So this is 5 hours daily from monday till saturday, sunday is relax, regeneration day..
But if we do have match on saturday, we train monday till thursday, friday we have only one short training and saturday morning light one and afternoon the match.
And yeeees, multiball is important part of our training, it is great for gaining speed!

Who are the best players you ever played? How was it to play them?
Martin: I got to play Samsonov, Schlager, Suss, Korbel.. But that were only few games during some table tennis camp.
They are very difficult to play. They have excellent serves, also returns, they play very fast and strong third balls and they punish every fault..
Also when I was playing in Croatia in Zagreb, I played with Primorac, Tokic, Tosic, Gacina, Tan Ruiwu, Joo Se Hyuk.
And in Portugal with Apollonia and Freitas.

What is your best you did in table tennis sofar?
Martin: Well I won Slovak Team Championships several times, I was also Champion in junior categories..
I was representant in U21 and now I am in men representation.
I also won international tournament "Satelite" and also Danube cup and Luxembourg open (team)

You are now 25 years old. How long you assume to play professionally and what are your goals?
Martin: I want to play at least 10 more years, depends of my health and then I want to be a trainer.
They say, that best tablet tennis you play between 28 and 32 years :)
I want to be Slovak Champion, number one. And I also want to win a Pro tour!
With my team, where I play.. we want to win ETTU cup and we want to get to Champions league to play the best!
In the future I want to play for best teams in Europe (B. Dusseldorf, Ochsenhausen, Charleroi)

What about your favorite player?
Martin: Favorite player - of course it is J.O.Waldner! Also I like Samsonov from the older generation as he is same height than me..
And from younger players it is Tiago Apollonia.
From Slovak players - our no. 1. - Lubomír Pištej.

What about your world ranking?
Martin: Currently I am closely out of TOP 500, but I am hoping to get into top 200 where I believe I belong with my current form!

Why are you still not in there? Why you so low?
Martin: As I already said - it is all about conditions. Our federation is not supporting players..
They are just about doing the opposite. So if I want to join some Pro Tour, I have to pay it all by myself.
And it takes around 600 EUR for those 5 days in there. And without playing in Pro Tours I cant get much higher in the rankings..
That is why I lately played in Challenger series, where are much better conditions for me to play.
Although I didnt show my best performance, because it was in the middle of holidays and I went there without any training ;)

Well, thank you for your time and I wish you great season! ;)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2011
Yes, it is not easy play professional in Slovakia (I think it is same in other EU countries too except Germany, France and maybe Sweden). There are no money in this sport :( This is why I stoped play when I was young (school was more important because live from TT salary is not easy... ). Now I am playing just for fun. I am playing like Martin in Raca (but of course not in same team and same league :) ).

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Yea, right, it is the reason why I never got to a real level in table tennis..
Noone really gave me a chance to do it..
Sport in my city wasnt improving, was not trying to help youngsters to get somewhere..
Only old people play each other to think about old times when they were some good..

Selfish, thats how I call it..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Martin had luck, that his dad was a great player and he trained him from young age, so he could get good technik..
And you see when Martin plays, he has amazing stroke making, very clear, very good for watch :)
Just he need some more power..
When I was playing, there was noone who wanted to teach me, guide me.. not a bit..