Table Tennis Shoe Soles mad of?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
What are table tennis shoe soles made of? I noticed the floors of one of my local clubs is pretty darn dusty, and with my table tennis shoes, after every other game I have to wipe the soles down with a wet towel because they'll be covered in dust. The soles are a different type of rubber than most shoes.

Are badminton shoes the same material? I've heard they're a good table tennis shoe and I'd use them as my primary shoe for this club if that would help out. Or I could just start mopping these floors for them. but when they have 100+ people paying them $40 a month just to play table tennis in their gymnasium, you'd think they would mop the floors every once in a while.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The soles of TT shoes and most indoor court shoes is gum rubber. So, indoor soccer, badminton and volleyball have shoes with a sole designed for indoor court.

I think, perhaps regular old sneakers for that dusty floor might be a good option. Save the good TT shoes for good indoor court floors.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shuki
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
The soles of TT shoes and most indoor court shoes is gum rubber. So, indoor soccer, badminton and volleyball have shoes with a sole designed for indoor court.

I think, perhaps regular old sneakers for that dusty floor might be a good option. Save the good TT shoes for good indoor court floors.

Awesome, thanks for such a quick reply!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Old sneakers are okay Shuki but make sure you have something that has lateral support. Otherwise it will start getting holes on outside and you will not know but your feet will experience more torque than with table tennis shoes . May I ask , why are you bothered about the dust , do you think they are going to seriously damage your soles ? Most table tennis clubs in US are run on a shoestring budget and most of them are not cleaned enough, so I don't think you should worry too much about this.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I made the assumption that it was because the dust made things more slippery. But it is true. That might not be the issue. Shuki, are you cleaning the bottoms of your shoes because it keeps getting slippery? Or are you cleaning them frequently because you are worried about the dust on them? If it is the second reason, then don't worry about that. The dust will not harm the rubber or cause them to wear faster.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
What are table tennis shoe soles made of? I noticed the floors of one of my local clubs is pretty darn dusty, and with my table tennis shoes, after every other game I have to wipe the soles down with a wet towel because they'll be covered in dust. The soles are a different type of rubber than most shoes.

Are badminton shoes the same material? I've heard they're a good table tennis shoe and I'd use them as my primary shoe for this club if that would help out. Or I could just start mopping these floors for them. but when they have 100+ people paying them $40 a month just to play table tennis in their gymnasium, you'd think they would mop the floors every once in a while.

Dusty shoes happen all the time. It can even be dangerous if you slip because of that.

A good way to keep your shoes grippy is to use a wet paper towel on the floor and step on it occasionally.
Or you can just brush it off with your hands or on your other leg. The sweat will do.

Slippery shoes can also you todevelop strange footwork. I used to play with very slippery shoes and instead of ministeps I slid around.

says I am just looking for someplace to play during a week...
Mar 2016
Slippery floors are like playing on a clay court. If the floors are slippery you can easily blow out a knee or ankle when you unexpectedly get a grip on a less slippery spot while sliding about. If you are going to practice at one table I would get a mop or a dust broom and spend 10 minutes fixing the problem if the custodians don't do it. where I play now in Lubbock we have to share the area with a day care that leaves the area messy when they leave.They drop animal cracker and Cheezit parts all over the playing area in addition to getting the crumbs on the tables so we wipe off each table and the floors before we play as one of the older players already wrenched his back when he almost fell. It sucks to have to waste part of our 2 hour usage window to clean the place up but it is that or eventually have injuries.

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
I'm asking because of how slippery it gets. I get to a point where I won't move my feet during a point because I'm a bit afraid of falling. Takes me a point or two to realize this is why I stopped moving my feet, and then off I go to clean the bottoms of my shoes again.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Did you try to use the wet towel / paper towel beside the table routine ... I used to play in a korean church, their ping pong rooms had hard glossy tiled floor with dust on them , the wet towel thing used to work there ...
I'm asking because of how slippery it gets. I get to a point where I won't move my feet during a point because I'm a bit afraid of falling. Takes me a point or two to realize this is why I stopped moving my feet, and then off I go to clean the bottoms of my shoes again.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Did you try to use the wet towel / paper towel beside the table routine ... I used to play in a korean church, their ping pong rooms had hard glossy tiled floor with dust on them , the wet towel thing used to work there ...

yea, it works for one point if I wipe them on a wet towel. I actually need to kind of scrub the bottom of the shoes for a decent amount of effect.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
yes, thats what we used to do.... you will have to get used to it because a lot of places play matches on basket ball courts and it would be the same issue there as well ... dip your shoe beaks on that wet towel and then do a few forward moonwalk stutters and then play the point ... :)
yea, it works for one point if I wipe them on a wet towel. I actually need to kind of scrub the bottom of the shoes for a decent amount of effect.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
Actually every tennis players have different tennis shoes so it's difficult to choose perfect tennis shoe. I used slippery shoes and it's very comfortable while playing tennis.

Mar 2016
I guess I was not clear on the solution. There are 3 possible solutions. Have the facility clean the floor. Clean the floor yourself as we do. Or clean your shoes between points on a towel but still slip around. No style of shoe can keep you from sliding about on a dusty or dirty floor without some type of spike that would destroy the floor.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
Slippery floors are like playing on a clay court. If the floors are slippery you can easily blow out a knee or ankle when you unexpectedly get a grip on a less slippery spot while sliding about.

Just yesterday this happened to me. Its not even the overall slipperiness more the spots that are less slippery. Ouch!

says what [IMG]
Although the only place I can play is a public school with all of it's shortcomings, one good thing is that the floor is in absolutely mint condition compared to most clubs with good grip due to the good surface and regular cleaning. ;)

Well, mint and mint. There's shoe marks all over it from people playing on it. You can't slide around on it, it's not too hard on the knees and it doesn't make a terrible amount of noise either.

The good and bad in everything I suppose.