Blade By Charlie Reliable?

So I was thinking about getting a new blade today, and I stumbled across BBC (Blades By Charlie). Well, I did a little research and it seems that BBC was out for a while, and has recently came back. So just wondering if anyone has bought anything there recently and whether it was reliable.

There are quite a handful of people from another forum who purchased blades from BBC. The craftmanship is great but he has limited variety of woods. You can probably give him a call since you are residing in US because he do not seem to reply to emails (maybe he is very busy).

If you are going for custom blades, there are quite a few options too.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
I have an all-around Jpen......I've been using it for two years now. Its very solid, other laminated blades can feel " rickety", mine feels very similar to my 1 ply hinoki. (Although thinner).
The ordering process was quick and easy. He asked about what weight I looking for, (78g) and talked about handle materials. (Peruvian walnut block, and purpleheart bottom). A few days later, I was sent a picture of it and it was about 10 days total until it was delivered.
I am very happy with it, it is a quality instrument.
Rock solid and very durable.
He did take a break for awhile, and is back producing with carbon fibre as well.