Difference in colour of Hurricane 3 Neo

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
Is there any difference in the playing properties of black and red of Hurricane 3 Neo?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 4 reviews
I thought the color dye had an influence. Black is supposed to be spinnier, red faster. As far as I know a Hurricane is black in most cases. Everytime I saw a provincial or national Hurricane for sale it was a black one.

says what [IMG]
I thought the color dye had an influence. Black is supposed to be spinnier, red faster. As far as I know a Hurricane is black in most cases. Everytime I saw a provincial or national Hurricane for sale it was a black one.

China uses black on the forehand as a habit from the old days, probably. The reason they're all black is because they're all supposed to be forehand rubbers, not necessarily due to the actual quality.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Ah. It's reassuring to see the same subjects pop up again and again.

These are myths. It has been explained before.

This has to do with the momentum of old wives tales. Ma Lin often used a red H3 FH.

Most players who use DHS rubbers use black for FH. DHS sells many more black rubbers than red rubbers.

A rubber that was produced longer ago will not play as well as one produced more recently.

So, if a red H3 sits on a shelf for 4 years before it is bought and a black H3 sits on the shelf at the store for 3 months, and you buy both at the same time, the black one will definitely play better because in that 4 years sitting on the shelf, the red rubber will degrade.

But if both red and black came from the same batch, you would not be able to tell the difference.

Trouble is, they sell so many more black rubbers than red rubbers that the myth starts having some truth to it.

But if you got a red rubber fresh off the press and a black one that was sitting on a shelf for 4 years, the red one would play better.

Technology is good enough these days that they can make dyes that are the same or have whatever properties they want.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Hhhhmmm...

823159aa3e4b58866bf71f9ecf0e9de5.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
Ah. It's reassuring to see the same subjects pop up again and again.

These are myths. It has been explained before.

This has to do with the momentum of old wives tales. Ma Lin often used a red H3 FH.

Most players who use DHS rubbers use black for FH. DHS sells many more black rubbers than red rubbers.

A rubber that was produced longer ago will not play as well as one produced more recently.

So, if a red H3 sits on a shelf for 4 years before it is bought and a black H3 sits on the shelf at the store for 3 months, and you buy both at the same time, the black one will definitely play better because in that 4 years sitting on the shelf, the red rubber will degrade.

But if both red and black came from the same batch, you would not be able to tell the difference.

Trouble is, they sell so many more black rubbers than red rubbers that the myth starts having some truth to it.

But if you got a red rubber fresh off the press and a black one that was sitting on a shelf for 4 years, the red one would play better.

Technology is good enough these days that they can make dyes that are the same or have whatever properties they want.

I heard rumors that red tends to play a little faster compare to the black ones, but what you said does make a lot of sense, however if both of the rubbers (black & red) are produced at the same time?surely there will by minor differences in playing properties, but I'm more curious about the overall differences than the minor ones :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
Hhhhmmm...

823159aa3e4b58866bf71f9ecf0e9de5.jpg

Disruption as in consistency?
different manufacturer may use different type of dye or process so I'm not surprise to see the differences, however Hurricane 3 Neo attracts my attention because its far different from other Jap/EU rubbers and Hurricane 3 Neo rubbers are more sensitive to environment factors such as humidity and etc, but if the red one tends to play differently than the black one, then it is something worth mentioning....:)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Disruption as in consistency?
different manufacturer may use different type of dye or process so I'm not surprise to see the differences, however Hurricane 3 Neo attracts my attention because its far different from other Jap/EU rubbers and Hurricane 3 Neo rubbers are more sensitive to environment factors such as humidity and etc, but if the red one tends to play differently than the black one, then it is something worth mentioning....:)
Disruption as in effect, weirdness...

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Those are LP rubbers that rokfish circled in red. Also note, they are old enough to no longer be ITTF approved.

It is totally possible for a company to make red and black rubbers so they are different. But they usually don't. And these days they are competent at making the rubber so the dyes don't change the playing characteristics.

So, black and red Tenergy, they won't have differences in playing characteristics. But again, one that is sitting on a shelf for longer will play differently than one fresh off the press.

Reactions: BeGo