Wrist snap for backhand

says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
Jun 2011
Read 6 reviews
I was lucky enough to get 10 mins with Werner Schlager once, and he gave me two very important tips for the backhand topspin - First - its ALL about the wrist - you must absolutely keep your wrist relaxed - watch how all the top players 'cock' the wrist before the stroke - the power and spin ALL comes from the wrist - the arm 'Follow through' you see is really about letting the wrist follow its full motion. Secondly, keep your racket loosely held, dont grip it tight when looping with your backhand. Hope this helps.

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
I was lucky enough to get 10 mins with Werner Schlager once, and he gave me two very important tips for the backhand topspin - First - its ALL about the wrist - you must absolutely keep your wrist relaxed - watch how all the top players 'cock' the wrist before the stroke - the power and spin ALL comes from the wrist - the arm 'Follow through' you see is really about letting the wrist follow its full motion. Secondly, keep your racket loosely held, dont grip it tight when looping with your backhand. Hope this helps.

Awesome you got to have a hit with Werner Schlager! What was he like, how did you get to knock with him :p

Here is my demonstration on how to play a backhand... its not the best but its ok

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
another tip is instead of having a long stroke, have a short explosive stroke which will EXPLODE and also it will be easier to get ready for the next shot

Very true point Matt, Paul Drinkhall does this really well, he is one to watch out for, very dangerous in the backhand department

Very true point Matt, Paul Drinkhall does this really well, he is one to watch out for, very dangerous in the backhand department
And if you watch Zhang Jike his back hand has alot of wrist and a bit of forearm but he uses more and more forearm when hes back off the table counter looping

Jun 2011
Read 6 reviews
Dan, it was about 8yrs or so ago, at a US open in Ft Lauderdale in the US. I was working there at the time, and came in early to watch the pros getting ready and train etc... turned out, I came in a bit too early, was walking around looking at some of the pros coming in, when in walks Werner. So I asked him for an autograph, he spotted my equipment, and jokingly said it looks like you are a 'good player'. At this point stuttering and completely embarrassed (as well as lost) I stuttered something along the lines of oh no, not by any means.... anyway, he says, I dont believe you - there is an empty table - lets go hit a few... after a few mins, when I calmed down and my arms stopped trembling, I managed to hit a few decent balls, which was when he came round to my end of the table and gave me some tips, and spent another 15 or so mins blocking my loops, giving encouragement and tips.
Werner Shlager was a completely TOP, TOP bloke, he is the nicest, and friendliest top player I ever met - to this day I scoff at the 'so called top' players in my club even, who refuse to play with people they deem to be 'below' them.... if Werner Shlager can give 15mins of his time to a nobody, whom he didnt know from Adam - then anyone else who thinks they are above that need to take a deep look at themselves :)

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Dan, it was about 8yrs or so ago, at a US open in Ft Lauderdale in the US. I was working there at the time, and came in early to watch the pros getting ready and train etc... turned out, I came in a bit too early, was walking around looking at some of the pros coming in, when in walks Werner. So I asked him for an autograph, he spotted my equipment, and jokingly said it looks like you are a 'good player'. At this point stuttering and completely embarrassed (as well as lost) I stuttered something along the lines of oh no, not by any means.... anyway, he says, I dont believe you - there is an empty table - lets go hit a few... after a few mins, when I calmed down and my arms stopped trembling, I managed to hit a few decent balls, which was when he came round to my end of the table and gave me some tips, and spent another 15 or so mins blocking my loops, giving encouragement and tips.
Werner Shlager was a completely TOP, TOP bloke, he is the nicest, and friendliest top player I ever met - to this day I scoff at the 'so called top' players in my club even, who refuse to play with people they deem to be 'below' them.... if Werner Shlager can give 15mins of his time to a nobody, whom he didnt know from Adam - then anyone else who thinks they are above that need to take a deep look at themselves :)

And what could beat getting advice on the backhand from a guy who has one of the best backhands ever. :) Sounds very cool. Could be why he was into opening that Academy for people to learn to play better. Table Tennis does need more people like that to help the sport grow.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Here is my demonstration on how to play a backhand... its not the best but its ok

The video is good. You can see how the bat face is facing straight down when the wrist is cocked and how the angle changes as the wrist follows through.

After mastering the backhand loop against blocking or topspin, it is worth practicing a lot against underspin. If you can loop underspin consistently with the backhand with heavy spin, the against topspin becomes easier and more powerful. Once you have the basics of the technique, then you have to practice a lot. :) But it is true that the backhand is an easier shot to master than the forehand because, mechanically, there are fewer moving parts since, in the forehand, you are using your whole body to much more of and extent and the swing from the feet through the hips to the arm and wrist has more details going on. But some players are better at forehands naturally, and some are better at backhands naturally.

This being said, doing the work and practicing, working on looping underspin especially, will help your strokes improve.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
Awesome you got to have a hit with Werner Schlager! What was he like, how did you get to knock with him :p

lol quite an old vid bro :)
Back then when I am an allrounder and I am frustated with my backhand I watched your vid lol :D
Helped me much indeed, I also found that my backhand is similar to Ruwen Filus and Kreanga.
After watching your vid and kreanga's vid, my attacking backhand is complete.
Since I turned to the darkside now, I still do my Mega-Twackhand-Loop (Mega Twiddle Backhand Loop).
If I haven't, now I will thank you. Thanks bro ;)