Unconventional table tennis training

Hi everyone!

I will post three videos of unconventional methods and equipments that I have used to improve my techniques. It is important to know that I only play table tennis as a Hobby.

The first is a video where my coach used a Gym Ball to improve my forehand and my backhand technique.

The second, my coach rolled a ball over the table and I had to spin it over the net as soon as it passed the edge of the table.

The third, my coach asked me to sit in a chair and execute a forehand and backhand drive away from the chair while still in a horse position.

And you? Have you ever used a unconventional equipment or method to improve your table tennis technique?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hey, the first one, on the ball, that is good stuff. The ball made you have to have control of the stroke to stay balanced. Excellent training for learning a stroke where you can keep your balance and have q fast recovery.

The third one with the ball rolling to the edge. That is a standard training for looping balls that just barely come off the edge. To do it well, I think you need to bend your knees more and get low. It is very worthwhile practice.

The one with the chair. It is hard to tell exactly what it is for. But it seems like it may be for helping you get low and stay low. Even though that is not what you are doing.

An interesting side note: In that video, if you watch your left foot, it keeps lifting off the ground on your stroke. Ideally you want the left leg to stay grounded.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Reactions: jknakatani
Hey, the first one, on the ball, that is good stuff. The ball made you have to have control of the stroke to stay balanced. Excellent training for learning a stroke where you can keep your balance and have q fast recovery.

The third one with the ball rolling to the edge. That is a standard training for looping balls that just barely come off the edge. To do it well, I think you need to bend your knees more and get low. It is very worthwhile practice.

The one with the chair. It is hard to tell exactly what it is for. But it seems like it may be for helping you get low and stay low. Even though that is not what you are doing.

An interesting side note: In that video, if you watch your left foot, it keeps lifting off the ground on your stroke. Ideally you want the left leg to stay grounded.

Thanks Carl! You got the mean behind each exercise. I agree with all that you said and I know that I have many things to work in my strokes. One thing for me is to know what to do and another completely different is to do it right. This is one of the reasons that I began to record my exercises.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thanks Carl! You got the mean behind each exercise. I agree with all that you said and I know that I have many things to work in my strokes. One thing for me is to know what to do and another completely different is to do it right. This is one of the reasons that I began to record my exercises.

Your coach is good at being creative in getting you to learn specific technical details. I really like the stroke on the stability ball for learning how to have a precise stroke, stay in balance and reset. Really excellent learning tool. You can't do the wrong thing because you will lose balance for real.

Last edited: