Hurricane 3 neo vs Hurricane 8

This user has no status.
Hi Sakumi,
I've used Hurricane 8 for about 2 months now and it is really good for close and mid-range topspins.
As for Hurricane 3 Neo, i do not know because i haven't tried it before
Anyway, what i want to tell you is that if you want to use Hurricane 8 or 3 Neo, you have to use a bit more strength compared to when using european rubbers and that you need to make small changes in your technique because from what i heard from the others who used chinese rubbers before, they had shoulder pain and etc when using it
But well in my case, im fine with the rubber i haven't had any injuries yet so dont be too scared to try
*** Also, not to forget that Hurricane 8 or 3 Neo is a hard rubber unlike other european rubbers so if you dont like hard rubbers i wont recommend it to you***
For BH, you need to be more specific in what type of rubber do you want
Hard or soft? (most prefer soft european rubbers) but well you dont have to go for what others prefer but im just recommending a soft one because with BH soft rubbers are catapult like and helps you make the BH a lot easier
If you want recommendation for BH rubbers, please provide more info on what type do you want? fast or normal speed? Spinny or just speed?
Because from what you said, every rubber is good at flicking and etc it just requires skills so yeh
please be more specific

Cheers!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
I played both rubbers and I must say that hurricane 8 is better than 3 neo on hard varnished blades. Neo works good on flexible blades, also this rubber maintain much longer tackiness than hurricane 8.

This user has no status.
I had them both on ZJK ALC and wood blades, H3 (the commercial version) on ZJK ALC was a disaster specially in the short game, very sensitive to incoming spin. It was a bit better on wood blade but I didn't play with it for longer times. H8 on the other hand was better on both blades. However, and I'm not sure if this a good thing or not, both requires a perfect stroke and more effort (a large hand swing). the downside is that I lost many matches because of that but the positive side of the story is that it made things easier when I revert back to european rubbers, I might even say it accelerated my development in FH topspin.

This user has no status.
iamvtwo, thanks for your reply. I am currently using the hurricane 2 on my FH so i have experienced the hard rubber etc. and I would like to upgrade cuz I don't feel like it is very consistent with its trajectory and the speed isnt good enough. A for the backhand rubber, I am looking for a softer sponge which can spin well and can create power and spin when needed - many gears. I like to open the game up with a fairly quick flick and after that the shots with the backhand will mostly be close to the table(powerful) or mid range(controlled), never far away. I read somewhere that many pros are using non-tacky or very un-tacky rubbers on their backhand but seeing as i've only used tacky rubbers i'm a bit wary to how it will play. Tenergy is quite popular on the backhand but slightly too expensive, could u suggest any for cheaper?

At the moment I'm using a stiga infinity vps v as my blade.

Musaab, are you saying that a bigger stroke is needed when using the hurricane 8? Do you know what the pros an cons are to both rubbers e.g. where it excels (close to the table or ....).

Thanks for the replies!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I'm no expert by any means , I play close mid-range myself which I assume you do the same, I think we have the same style since I like to open by a chiquita (flip) on my backhand too. With time I adapted to both Hurricanes but one problem always been there , lifting backspin , always extremly difficult and when I play against a defender it is just the mission impossible. If you are somehow satisfied by H2 and you want an upgrade, H8 is more consistent in my opinion. for the backhand I used to play with T80 FX and T64, it was quite fun, however blocking heavy spin is kinda difficult with the spring sponge. I recently came accross these Tibhar Aurus variations (sound and soft) and I like it alot, light weight rubbers with very decent power and feeling. rememeber Tenergies and hurricanes are somewhat heavy.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Hi Sakumi,
what is your setup at the moment?

Wooden or composite blade?

For me, the H3 Neo (39 deg prov.) suits my playing style in combine with the ALC blade.

Since the rubber quite heavy, it's better to choose rather heavier blade >90g.

It depends also on your technique; european technique should use softer sponge eg. Hurricane 8 or Hurricane 3-50.

For BH rubber I would suggest DHS Skyline 3-60.

This user has no status.
iamvtwo, thanks for your reply. I am currently using the hurricane 2 on my FH so i have experienced the hard rubber etc. and I would like to upgrade cuz I don't feel like it is very consistent with its trajectory and the speed isnt good enough. A for the backhand rubber, I am looking for a softer sponge which can spin well and can create power and spin when needed - many gears. I like to open the game up with a fairly quick flick and after that the shots with the backhand will mostly be close to the table(powerful) or mid range(controlled), never far away. I read somewhere that many pros are using non-tacky or very un-tacky rubbers on their backhand but seeing as i've only used tacky rubbers i'm a bit wary to how it will play. Tenergy is quite popular on the backhand but slightly too expensive, could u suggest any for cheaper?
Well if you want an upgrade to your H2, H8 or 3Neo would both be a good choice.
But well i would say H3 or H3Neo would be a better upgrade if you're used to H2
When compared H3 neo and H8, the H8 is slightly softer and has less tackiness so that's mean less spinny than H3 neo and also that means it gives you a bit more of control when playing even if you just start to use it
H3 neo would be close to H2 just that its a lot faster and low ball trajectory. So, i would say H3 neo would be a better choice but well you can have a try with H8 you might like it better who knows?

As for your BH, From what you described above i think Tibhar Evolution MX-S or MX-P would be great and it is similar to Tenergy 05 but doesnt mean its the same as T05..the feelings and touch is of course different from t05 as this is a medium hard rubber and its jus that the spin and speed of this rubber matches and is similar to the t05. Most people choose it because it is similar to T05 and is half the price of T05 with much more durability. Im currently using Omega V Pro and it is also similar to T05 in my point of view but it is slightly slower and less spinny but it has an incredible good control with high arc that helps to reduce errors or reduce hitting the ball into the net. Well it worth the try and im actually liking it.
**Also about the H8 and bigger stroke, there is no need to do a bigger stroke with H8 or full body stroke thats just what the chinese pro players does but i wouldnt recommend you to do so the chinese pro players do it because they were trained and used to that playing style but if you do it it will be a disaster because you dont have the reflexes like them, you cant recover for the next shot because you're not used to it and it requires incredible footwork to do so.
SO IF YOU WANT TO DO THE FULL BODY STROKES LIKE THE PRO CHINESE PLAYERS, YOU NEED TO WORK REALLY HARD ON YOUR FOOTWORK AND ATHLETICISM***

Reactions: nivekkan
This user has no status.
LIKE I TOLD YOU IN MY FIRST POST, you need to provide me with more info on the type of rubber you prefer
Looking at pro players equipments is good but you should look for whats good for you rather than looking whats the pro uses and try to use it
For example: Tenergy, I used tenergy for about 3 months but its not for me
The rubber is too soft for me and it is really hard to adapt to these kind of rubber after using harder rubbers
You see tenergy is not for everyone. and you requires a lot of skills in order to use it.
Sorry to say this but i can already imagine you struggling using Tenergy after using a hard rubber on BH because it was the same for me.
So, for now, for your BH, if you want a really fast rubber with medium amount of spin go for Stiga rubbers
Stiga rubbers are really fast but kinda lacks in control but you'll get use to it in a short amount of time
If you want a control with medium fast and medium spin, i would say try out Xiom Omega V Pro that im using
It would worth your try and check out TTD channel on YouTube and check out their rubber reviews videos
or search for reviews on specific rubbers in the equipment reviews i bet that will help you a lot ;)

Cheers! Good Luck!

Reactions: nivekkan
This user has no status.
IMO the difference between the two is the technique or approach. If you like to loop the ball hard or spin the table that is H3 on the other hand H8 requires a more relaxed approach and really fine brushing if you loop the ball hard this is where I notice the slippage. The H8's sponge is more active than the H3 so expect it to be bouncier and one thing I noticed is that the H8 is comparable to a H3 provincial especially the higher quality of topsheet and the active sponge. Lifting backspin is easy in H3 chinese style stroke and even easier in H8 if you can maximize the tacky topsheet and the active sponge. Next week I'm gonna go back to H3 because the H8's slippage on hard shots is really annoying. :)

This user has no status.
Roger, currently I'm using the stiga infinity vps v which is a wooden blade...I think. On my FH I'm using the H2, which is what I'm mainly looking to upgrade, and the friendship/729 Higher 3 on my backhand which is quite good. I was just wondering what other people were using which could influence my decision for a BH rubber in the future.

Thanks for the detailed reply iamvtwo. I did use tenergy 05 on my friend's bat for about 30 mins and tbh I found it really hard to control the trajectory of the ball due to it being very soft. The Tibhar Evolution MX-P and Xiom Omega V Europe
looks very interesting. I will consider them both in the future when I want to replace my old one.

From reading all the comments about H3 neo and H8, I'm starting to lean towards the H3 just due to the precise stroke and technique you have to use (Sometimes my stroke can be off) as well as it sounds like the H3 is more direct in the positioning of shots.

I have been looking at chinese players equipment because I feel a closer resemblance to their playstyle and I have realised that all have chosen the H3 over the H8 (disregarding different edition like national). Why is this?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Roger, currently I'm using the stiga infinity vps v which is a wooden blade...I think. On my FH I'm using the H2, which is what I'm mainly looking to upgrade, and the friendship/729 Higher 3 on my backhand which is quite good. I was just wondering what other people were using which could influence my decision for a BH rubber in the future.

Thanks for the detailed reply iamvtwo. I did use tenergy 05 on my friend's bat for about 30 mins and tbh I found it really hard to control the trajectory of the ball due to it being very soft. The Tibhar Evolution MX-P and Xiom Omega V Europe
looks very interesting. I will consider them both in the future when I want to replace my old one.

From reading all the comments about H3 neo and H8, I'm starting to lean towards the H3 just due to the precise stroke and technique you have to use (Sometimes my stroke can be off) as well as it sounds like the H3 is more direct in the positioning of shots.

I have been looking at chinese players equipment because I feel a closer resemblance to their playstyle and I have realised that all have chosen the H3 over the H8 (disregarding different edition like national). Why is this?

Sakumi, I would stay using tacky chinese rubbers, since you're already familiar with them.
The modern ESN rubbers (Tibhar Evolution, Xiom ) are quite different to play.
The chinese rubbers are also not expensive.
Why don't you try H3 Neo first for the FH?
I would suggest you to get the 39 deg sponge first to feel the difference
(Try first the commercial one here:
http://ttnpp.com/store/dhs/277-neo-...tic-version-provided-hardness-labeling-6.html )

H8 uses different sponge, more like european one. Too soft and mushy for me

Especially with the 40+ balls, tacky chinese rubbers can produce more spin (with the right technique)

This user has no status.
Sakumi, I would stay using tacky chinese rubbers, since you're already familiar with them.
The modern ESN rubbers (Tibhar Evolution, Xiom ) are quite different to play.
The chinese rubbers are also not expensive.
Why don't you try H3 Neo first for the FH?
I would suggest you to get the 39 deg sponge first to feel the difference
(Try first the commercial one here:
http://ttnpp.com/store/dhs/277-neo-...tic-version-provided-hardness-labeling-6.html )

H8 uses different sponge, more like european one. Too soft and mushy for me

Especially with the 40+ balls, tacky chinese rubbers can produce more spin (with the right technique)

Do you know any websites that allow you to select the degrees other than that website? It will take 3 weeks for it be delivered. The company I'm currently looking at is Teessports.

How much of a difference does untacky rubbers make ball compared to tacky rubbers?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Do you know any websites that allow you to select the degrees other than that website? It will take 3 weeks for it be delivered. The company I'm currently looking at is Teessports.

How much of a difference does untacky rubbers make ball compared to tacky rubbers?

The difference is very high, counter topspins even against tenergy rubber.
Besides you'll have a very good control short game ( serve, return of serve, ball placement ...),

But keep in mind that these rubbers are NOT suitable for smashing, only for thin brushing top spin with the forward movement and wrist snapping.

Unfortunately this is the only website for the commercial H3 Neo with sponge degree selection that I know.

says I am addicted to table tennis... 🥲
Hi Sakumi,
I've used Hurricane 8 for about 2 months now and it is really good for close and mid-range topspins.
As for Hurricane 3 Neo, i do not know because i haven't tried it before
Anyway, what i want to tell you is that if you want to use Hurricane 8 or 3 Neo, you have to use a bit more strength compared to when using european rubbers and that you need to make small changes in your technique because from what i heard from the others who used chinese rubbers before, they had shoulder pain and etc when using it
But well in my case, im fine with the rubber i haven't had any injuries yet so dont be too scared to try
*** Also, not to forget that Hurricane 8 or 3 Neo is a hard rubber unlike other european rubbers so if you dont like hard rubbers i wont recommend it to you***
For BH, you need to be more specific in what type of rubber do you want
Hard or soft? (most prefer soft european rubbers) but well you dont have to go for what others prefer but im just recommending a soft one because with BH soft rubbers are catapult like and helps you make the BH a lot easier
If you want recommendation for BH rubbers, please provide more info on what type do you want? fast or normal speed? Spinny or just speed?
Because from what you said, every rubber is good at flicking and etc it just requires skills so yeh
please be more specific

Cheers!

The shoulder pain most definitely comes from getting used to European rubbers, as everything is pretty much done with the arm. Chinese rubbers, due to tackiness, less speed, require more thorough technique using the bodyweight. You must put your body behind the shots using legs and back for Chinese rubbers - Chinese style. Otherwise yes, getting an injury like that can become rather easy