Need blade help butterfly only though...

This user has no status.
Hello,

I have been playing for 5 years roughly and i am a fast attacking player who likes to play forehand topspin loops and also like to block fast shots from the opponent.

Since i started playing i have had a butterfly Lars Heilschler blade like below:

LARS HIELSCHER

35 €

ply 7 - wood

weight 90 g.

Sp. 8,4 Ctrl. 7,5 Th. 7,3

Velocità: 8 Controllo: 7++ Rigidità: 8-

a fast offensive blade with a soft touch for the ball. suitable for fast topspin-play

It has served me well but it is very heavy (especially with 2 2.1mm rubbers on). Recently my game has become poor and im just not getting in position for shots etc and my loops never seem to come on. I feel that a change of blade is needed. It is the first time that i have needed to look for blades so I hope you can help me.

I need :

A lighter blade
Possibly carbon?
Fast
OFF or OFF+

Budget around £50

Thanks! Hope you can help!

Kieran.

says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
Jun 2011
Read 6 reviews
I have played with a lot of blades - previously I had stopped at the Primorac Carbon. About 8 months ago, I tried the Butterfly ZLC innerforce, and to be honest, its the best blade I ever played with. Speed as good as Primorac Carbon, but with the control of a Korbel blade or better... amazing blade, expensive, but worth every penny.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Jun Mizutani, Timo ZLC, Viscaria, Michael Maze, take your pick. All the blades that Butterfly makes with Koto as the top ply and some combination like Arylate and Carbon or Zylon and Carbon are great blades; fast with control. All of them are expensive though. So if you are saying worth every penny, get it, use it. But I doubt if you are going to find what you are looking for for as little as 50 Euro if you want Butterfly. Butterfly blades are great, but the ones that would cost 50 Euro from Butterfly would cost 25 Euro for an equivalent blade from another company. But Butterfly is top quality and, especially the new technology blades. You are not going to get anything like them for less, so if you really liked the Innerforce ZLC, why not think of it as an investment. In the end, if you take care of it, you might save yourself some money trying things that are not quite as good and after a few purchases, realizing you really want the top of the line.

Innerforce ZLC and Timo Boll ZLC are both amazing blades. So are the others I listed above. :) Good luck in your search.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Pound: 50 = US Dollars: 81 = Euro: 57. 25-35 GBP's will buy you a great wood blade from Stiga, Yasaka, Avalox, Donic, Tibar or Andro. Probably other brands as well. But it sounds like you want the best and those blades from Butterfly that have that new technology really are the best. But they cost. The Viscaria and the Timo Boll Spirit are probably the least expensive and they are top notch blades. The Viscaria costs: 124 US dollars = 76 GBP. The Timo Spirit costs the same. I guess you would have to find a website or store for exact prices, but that is what it costs at PaddlePalace.com which is a distributor in the US. All in all, I would say any of the new technology Butterfly blades are worth it if that is what you want.

A much less expensive alternative would be something like the Stiga Clipper. But they are a little too heavy and Stiga blades need to be finished (polyurethane coating like minwax wipe on poly) to keep them protected. The Clipper with WRB makes it lighter, but it also makes it head heavy and not everyone likes that. And the hollow handle always feels strangely cheap to me. I like head heavy blades but it is something different to get used to. And since you like Butterfly. I would go with it.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Thanks for the help carl!

Yeah, the bty blades do seem very good quality. I had a look at some stiga blades as well but cant seem to find a good one for my game. I did a bit of research on a BTY blade called the Balsa Carbo X5 and it seems perfect. Its Light (80g), Fast, and from most of the reviews i have read they are perfect for looping close to the table like i do.

Also, its in my budget of £50 here http://www.teessport.com/table-tenn...erfly-balsa-carbo-x5-table-tennis-blade-p1101

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I personally do not like Balsa blades but everybody is different. I don't like how they play. They feel great for just hitting the ball in warming up but are not as good for me, when I am playing and have to deal with serves and short game. They also do not feel good for looping underspin to me. Great for smashing though.

This user has no status.
I need :

A lighter blade
Possibly carbon?
Fast
OFF or OFF+

Budget around £50

Thanks! Hope you can help!

Kieran.

Hello Kieran. Maybe you can try Butterfly Balsa Carbo X5, about 70-75 grams, and also cheap $70-$80. I have also Butterfly Balsa Carbo X5 (71 grams) which I normally use. In my humble opinion, this blade mix between attack and control, and also have 5 ply (3 ply wood and 2 ply carbon). Very comfortable and fits perfectly in my hand which is small. Good for playing Loop, spin, and flick. Balsa is a light wood, but when combined with carbon it will be fast blade. (correct me if i'm wrong)