Regarding h3, and boosting

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
I have tried a few fh rubbers that I have enjoyed. Rising dragon I liked a lot, until the tackiness wore off. H8 and h3-50 are great for me on the right blades. 999t top sheet with custom sponge, as well as some euro's. I'm definitely a recreational player and I will probably continue to try other things from time to time because it's fun. But to be honest a $20 h3 neo with few layers of Falco is hard to beat. Many people have said as much but there is a difference in hearing it and experiencing it. With so many rubbers to chose from in the 40 to 70 buck range It's just nice to know (for a type of game anyway) when your done Ej ing around you can come back to an 20 dollar rubber and get a tested Quality performance.

On boosting. As I said i'm a recreational player, playing two or three times a week at a mostly recreational club so boosting really doesn't matter. But I hope to play tournaments in the future when my schedule is more permitting. But even now after having just played a few players and your just catting about the play my game, there game, equipment etc I've been surprised by the, are you a booster question, or so you boost comments that are colored with slight distain. one of the guys had Tenergy both sides on on some high tech butterfly blade. So I've been thinking and if I were playing tournaments right now anyway (this could change) but I would not feel bad about using a non toxic booster like falco long, similar to what manufacturers use, to soften, add some tension, control and make the h3 more playable. I have never used boost other than falco so I don't know about other products or speed glue but I found falco long mostly to improved the playability of a already good h3 neo. Other pros I have found to boosting is that I also really appreciate the ability to customize your rubber, which is ultimately a money saver. It's going to happen plenty anyway but buying a 40 or $50 rubber that ends up being not right or to fast etc for your game is a big wast of money. as long as you build up slowly you can avoid this to some degree. And of course it's nice to add extra life to my backhand euro rubbers as well saving some dollars.
I know there's technically a band on boosting but it's not like this stuff is like the toxic speed glue that was common. I have never played with speed glue i missed the era (I would love to here from some of you that did and how different the effects are) but from what I have read besides being harsh the effects of that more drastic. Today I have to think that the fact that nontoxic boost is band is mostly to protect table tennis sales, which also has the effect creating a monetary performance gap especially with entry-level to mid-level, non-sponsored competitions. I understand why some people just don't want to mess with boosting and instead just play a fresh sheet that's factory boosted, but I also don't see the harm. As I stated above I have limited experience with boosting and I'm open to the idea that there's something I'm missing. Anyway this is just something I've been thinking about since the last comment and I want to hear other peoples opinions on the topic, particularly someone that's vehemently opposed to any type of boosting even the nontoxic stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
From my experience a boosted Hurricane (at least one I have) is not really comparable to a modern EuroJap rubber. Being boosted, with two or three layers, it is faster than a stock one, but is still way, way slower than a typical tensor. I have a spare setup with Stiga Ebenholz 5 with a heavily boosted H2 and Tibhar Evolution EL-P. Even with a really fast blade like Ebenholz I have to heavily invest into the shot. If I do the same stroke with EL-P the ball flies like bullet. The reason I use H2 on this setup is to play with robot/multiball and do service practice since topsheet of a Hurricane is hard to wear out.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
I learned to play using H3 along with some friends and family members who all learned with H3 (or some variant). It is a great rubber with or without boosting. But after listening to some of the advice of the forum members here, I opened up my options since I've already built a pretty good foundation with H3 and saw no harm in trying new stuff. It turned out to be true that the modern Euro/Japanese rubber can offer lots of possibilities that may help to improve my game. So far I have found Xiom OVA to be a superior substitute for H3 boosted/non-boosted. I now like it even better than my past favorite "speed glued" H3 National. There are so many different types of rubber out there now. There's really no reason to be confined to just using H3.

Reactions: duan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2012
For me, H3 boosted is pretty unbeatable. Nothing provides the combination of linearity over the table and in attack, but also the lethality at the top gears and bite when re-looping. However, boosting is a bit daunting when I have to do it every so often, and the inconsistency of sheets combined with my general laziness has finally seen me moving away from using h3 religiously for the first time in about 8 years. This past year I've tried a few tensors that are closer to the general idea of H3 and haven't boosted at all- I went from Vega Pro to Vega Japan to OVP to MX-S to MX-P to Vega Pro again, then have now ended up with Fastarc G1. Least favorite has been MX-P by a mile. Favorite is a toss up between Vega Pro and Fastarc G1. I feel generally less confident over the table with anything compared to H3. However, G1 gives me a somewhat easier experience, while generally feeling similar to how H3 behaves in some departments. My only qualms so far can be chalked up to me not being used to it yet.

I also have a sheet of TG3-60 I'm fooling around with on my viscaria. However, it's unreliable in the top few gears and bottoms out. I'm using mid-hard. If there was a hard, I'd be all over it. I might try boosting this one. I've always used Haifu Seamoon. Just bought a small thing of Falco Long, never tried falco before. I don't think I'll need it for Fastarc G1 though.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
I learned to play using H3 along with some friends and family members who all learned with H3 (or some variant). It is a great rubber with or without boosting. But after listening to some of the advice of the forum members here, I opened up my options since I've already built a pretty good foundation with H3 and saw no harm in trying new stuff. It turned out to be true that the modern Euro/Japanese rubber can offer lots of possibilities that may help to improve my game. So far I have found Xiom OVA to be a superior substitute for H3 boosted/non-boosted. I now like it even better than my past favorite "speed glued" H3 National. There are so many different types of rubber out there now. There's really no reason to be confined to just using H3.

This has been my experience too - OVA is an excellent alternative for those who like boosted chinese rubber. Sure, it isn't tacky and some adjustments are needed. But it supports a brush loop / counter game very well, has a very similar linearity, and the switch is definitely possible. It's also rock-solid in terms of QC, good with the 40+ ball (no slip on very fine contacts), and good value (go with tibi).

Let's not beat around the bush - if you boost, you are by the letter of the law breaking the rules. As long as you don't go over maximum thickness of 4mm, you'll probably get away with it because it's impossible to test for booster as things stand now. But some players may give you grief about it. If you play at a low-ish level then people may not even bother to check. It's a slight risk you have to take, plus the difficulty of getting the same result from sheet-to-sheet and boost-to-boost is a real pain. Back in the speed glue days you would glue up before each fixture and the effect was pretty much immediate. Now you have to plan days in advance with booster, and probably have 2 sheets on the go to deal with the time overlap when introducing a new sheet. It's too much of a faff for me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
It's frowned upon to boost? chuckle.

Either it's boosted in the factory or you do it yourself. Makes no difference to me other than the ability to save a ton of money in rubber costs. I don't play in ITTF sanctioned tournaments, just play in local non-sanctioned ones, so it's really a non-factor for me.

What I don't like about DHS is how inconsistent or poorly assembled their rubbers seem to be. At least for me. I've owned 3 DHS rubbers before. One I tuned & glued on with a WBG, The others i didn't tune and glued on with rubber cement which I like because it ever so slightly softens up the sponge some. All 3 bubbled on me relatively quick in the rubber's lifespan. So after that I'm done with DHS. It's not that hard to find another tacky topsheet with the sponge of your choosing to boost.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
What I don't like about DHS is how inconsistent or poorly assembled their rubbers seem to be. .[/QUOTE]

I know several people have said/experience this. I must have just had good luck with the Dhs stuff I have received. I have never had a bubble basically only thing I have noticed was that two rubbers (one h3 neo one h8) were not as tacky as they normally are.

This user has no status.
i play h3 any and all variants without speedglue or booster. i tried various speedglue and boosters for testing purposes before just to have the experience.

i play with h3 for years and also train with coach using it, so after, no problem using it without speedglue/boosters. i adjusted to it and accepted it for its flaws and uniqueness... :cool:

Reactions: Suga D and duan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
What I don't like about DHS is how inconsistent or poorly assembled their rubbers seem to be. .

I know several people have said/experience this. I must have just had good luck with the Dhs stuff I have received. I have never had a bubble basically only thing I have noticed was that two rubbers (one h3 neo one h8) were not as tacky as they normally are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
Hmm . . That's interesting. I usually buy H3 or TG3 on eBay from a HK supplier. Never had any issues. No bubble or any quality issues.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

Reactions: gmiller2233
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
FYI the ittf (or what ever it's called) are now considering lifting the boost band in table tennis, since there are none of the toxic stuff in the modern boost now on the market. not a huge deal but we shall see.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
FYI the ittf (or what ever it's called) are now considering lifting the boost band in table tennis, since there are none of the toxic stuff in the modern boost now on the market. not a huge deal but we shall see.

Bring back the legendary H3 with booster!!

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
From my experience a boosted Hurricane (at least one I have) is not really comparable to a modern EuroJap rubber. Being boosted, with two or three layers, it is faster than a stock one, but is still way, way slower than a typical tensor. I have a spare setup with Stiga Ebenholz 5 with a heavily boosted H2 and Tibhar Evolution EL-P. Even with a really fast blade like Ebenholz I have to heavily invest into the shot. If I do the same stroke with EL-P the ball flies like bullet. The reason I use H2 on this setup is to play with robot/multiball and do service practice since topsheet of a Hurricane is hard to wear out.

I have to say, A h3 commercial just with baby oil over a weeks of treatment is way faster than an top end (expensive) tensor rubber.
I would say your boosting may not be perfect

Reactions: nivekkan and Rajah*
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
i play h3 any and all variants without speedglue or booster. i tried various speedglue and boosters for testing purposes before just to have the experience.

i play with h3 for years and also train with coach using it, so after, no problem using it without speedglue/boosters. i adjusted to it and accepted it for its flaws and uniqueness... :cool:

i think i need to read your personal review about all H3 variants :cool:
if you already wrote the review please give me the links ;)