Need Setup Bat Under 185 gr

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
What makes you want lighter? That is a great weight. That is a weight that w lot of pros use.

I guess it is true that you have to have decent arm strength. But, that really is a great weight for a setup.

If you get the same setup with a JM ZLC that weight 83 grams to cut the 9 grams you are looking to cut off the weight, it would few way worse. Because with any blade--say a Viscaria, one that weighs 82 grams and one that 92 grams: the one that weighs 92 grams will have much better feel and give you more inertia behind your shots.

So, unless there is some issue like tennis elbow, I would keep what you have.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Reactions: keenansouthall
says Ok. If you're interested tell me something. Regards
May 2013
Read 3 reviews
Due to injuries I also had to change from a Palatinus custom (what a blade, but with 93 grams) to a Cornilleau Aero Carbon with 70 grams. I also change from 2 mx-p (2,2mm) to a baracuda (max) and a Tibhar Evo FX-P 1,8mm. After 2 months I played just fine

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
I think rather than changing your blade, you could get away with changing your rubbers. I've played with the same blade with the same exact weight before. The setup was a T05 with Vega Europe. The setup was not light, but the balance of the overall setup makes it easy to use.

I'm guessing baracuda is your FH rubber, it's a pretty heavy rubber but not MX-P heavy. So what you could do is perhaps change your BH to a softer, lighter rubber. Vega Europe will be excellent on MJ SZLC. Plenty of control near the table for blocking and pushing, good speed for looping even far from table.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I think rather than changing your blade, you could get away with changing your rubbers. I've played with the same blade with the same exact weight before. The setup was a T05 with Vega Europe. The setup was not light, but the balance of the overall setup makes it easy to use.

I'm guessing baracuda is your FH rubber, it's a pretty heavy rubber but not MX-P heavy. So what you could do is perhaps change your BH to a softer, lighter rubber. Vega Europe will be excellent on MJ SZLC. Plenty of control near the table for blocking and pushing, good speed for looping even far from table.

I agree with you to change the rubber. But for the moment I've been comfortable with Baracuda in BH for push, BH spin, flick, and drive. Even if I want to replace the rubber it is to FH.
With the same thickness, what recommendations lightweight rubber for close to mid+ table with more spin?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Due to injuries I also had to change from a Palatinus custom (what a blade, but with 93 grams) to a Cornilleau Aero Carbon with 70 grams. I also change from 2 mx-p (2,2mm) to a baracuda (max) and a Tibhar Evo FX-P 1,8mm. After 2 months I played just fine
By comparison, more convenient blade with 93 grams or 70 grams?
You play close / mid / far table?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I agree with you to change the rubber. But for the moment I've been comfortable with Baracuda in BH for push, BH spin, flick, and drive. Even if I want to replace the rubber it is to FH.
With the same thickness, what recommendations lightweight rubber for close to mid+ table with more spin?

So, I still didn't see your reason. What is the reason you want a lighter setup? Is it an injury? If yes, that would make sense. Is it that your arm is not able to handle the weight? That one is easy to fix. Or is the reason something else? How long have you been playing with that setup?

Sent from Inside The Chamber of Secrets by Patronus

May 2013
Read 3 reviews
I play mostly close to table. The Cornilleau with 70 is faster and stiffer and better for punchblocks and shortgame (at least to me). The Palatinus is better generating topspin and has a general better feeling in your hand but was to heavy for my tendinitis...

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I play mostly close to table. The Cornilleau with 70 is faster and stiffer and better for punchblocks and shortgame (at least to me). The Palatinus is better generating topspin and has a general better feeling in your hand but was to heavy for my tendinitis...

For you, I understood it was a repetitive stress injury massa. For this it makes good sense to use something lighter.

I am trying to understand why John a Brunne feels he needs or wants a lighter blade.

That information could help people help him with what will be best for him.

Reactions: massa
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Lighter paddles have up sides as well as downsides. Some peoples play styles work better with a lighter paddle. I don't think you can just say a heavier paddle is best.

The rule of thumb should actually be, "the heaviest weight that you can comfortably play with is best. "

So many players have a bat too heavy for them and then try a light weight blade and fall in love with lightweight paddles. Even though the lightweight is still too light for them, the only difference they know of is of the one that was too heavy for them.

Also you really can't just say a paddle is better heavier. Style comes into play so much in this game, to think that more inertia behind a swing is better for everyone could be a bit close minded.

For example, there's a short Philippine at our club named Dante. Dante uses medium/long stiff pips on the backhand side with a hurricane variant on his forehand. His strokes don't go through the ball with the hurricane rubber and he uses it primarily for blocking. The pips flip underspin and he'll use them to chop topspin. His primary style is to use his quick hands to get to balls and just keep them coming back until you miss. He likes to "stop sign block" with his inverted rubber. He stays close to the table. The reason he needs the light but fast paddle is because he's such a reflex/reaction player that when he uses a heavier paddle he can't get to the ball quick enough to play his game.

Also Dante is between 1800-1900.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Also you really can't just say a paddle is better heavier. Style comes into play so much in this game, to think that more inertia behind a swing is better for everyone could be a bit close minded.

I think you may need to read more closely Shuki. Do I look like the person who says "everyone should play with X!"?

What I actually am trying to do is get the OP to explain why he feels he needs a lighter setup because it will also help him figure out how he wants to go about getting himself a setup that will actually help him.

I could also ask a bunch of other questions like:

1) what basic level are you?
2) how do you play, loop, chop, offensive, defensive, allround, etc
3) how good are you at looping heavy chop? with FH? with BH?

It is risky business recommending equipment for someone who already has spent a minimum of $250.00 on a blade that may or may not be too heavy for him and MAY or MAY NOT be a blade that is of any value to his game.

So, before someone changes equipment after buying a $250.00 blade, I kind of want to find out more details.

What I did say was, a 92 gram Mizutani ZLC will feel better than an 82 gram Mizutani. And with the better feeling it would give more inertia behind the ball. But I did not say that the 92 gram blade was better for him.

I asked what his reason for wanting a lighter setup ACTUALLY was.

I would also be interest in where he got the idea of 185 grams total weight and why he feels that is the amount of weight he wants for his setup.

Last edited:
Reactions: keenansouthall
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
@carl

Thank you for clarifying where I misinterpreted (as I often jump the gun without reading into responses thoroughly), it's been at least a week since I've done that, must be a record for me.

He really is avoiding the question, I guess it makes you wonder even more so why he's only responding to other's and not you. Perhaps he's looking for specific answers and not ones that would actually be more helpful to him. Perhaps his answer will be "so I can swing through the ball faster and make it go faster!" and he knows this is the wrong mentality and doesn't want to be dissuaded from it. Maybe he's just not seeing your questions somehow and you need to make your words bigger.

Now I too, am curious

JOHN BRUNNE why are you wanting a lighter weight setup?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
For you, I understood it was a repetitive stress injury massa. For this it makes good sense to use something lighter.

I am trying to understand why John a Brunne feels he needs or wants a lighter blade.

That information could help people help him with what will be best for him.

I've tried for several sessions lighter blade had friends. And I feel more comfortable and not easily tired.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Arround 8 months

Okay. So you have been using your racket for long enough to know you want something different and lighter. It is true that not everyone has enough arm strength to use a racket with the kind of weight that most pros use. And most pros train enough to have the fitness to use that weight.

If you are looking for a whole new setup, my actual recommendation is that you keep trying rackets from people you know and play and when one makes you light up and feel that you want the same thing, then get whatever they are using. When you do that you will want to check the weight of the wood and get a blade that is pretty close to the same weight because there is a large degree of variation between the weights of blades of the same make.

My example for that is that I have seen an 80 gram Viscaria and a 98 gram Viscaria. That is 18 grams of difference between two different versions of the same make and model blade. So you want to know the actual weight of the blade you played and get one that is pretty much the same weight. Otherwise you could end up with a setup that feels way different from the blade you tried from your friend.

And FYI, if you were trying to lose 10grams of weight while keeping the same blade and the same BH rubber, losing 10 grams from just changing a FH rubber is not likely. And if you found a rubber that was 10 grams lighter than what you are using, my money says you would not like the rubber.

The good news for you is that the blade you have (JM ZLC) has a decently high resale value. So, when you get yourself a new setup and are sure you like it, after a few weeks of playing with the new setup, you can put the old racket up for sale.

Reactions: Shuki