SOULSPIN.TT finally releases Project 16

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
www.soulspin.tt just recently released their newest project.

Project 16 & Project 16st

a new rubber in different varieties.

The Project 16st comes with a tacky topsheet and with three different type and coloured sponges.
A blue sponge that is said to be very hard for a spinful game,
a cream sponge for more control,
and an orange sponge that is said to be an allrounder.

Whereas the Project 16 comes with a japanese topsheet but also comes with different sponges.
As soon as my new backhand rubber looses its Life, I'll order a sheet of this as well.

Here's a Link to their site.

Chinese topsheet:
http://www.soulspin.tt/en/shop/deta...]=8584&cHash=e3ad5535aa4d502f9b346768e1033a62

Japanese topsheet:

http://soulspin.tt/en/shop/details....=8583&cHash=ae8f139a43127a96c6412e8506942eba

Could someone of the mods please add these two rubbers to the equipment section?

I've just ordered a sheet and like to review it when it arrives.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shuki
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
My mini-review from mytt:

So I got very interested in P16ST after reading:
Project 16st is our first rubbers with sticky chinese surface. Due to its hard but catchy surface it is very suitable for extremely spinny topspin and counter-topspin-play. Our aim was to develop a rubber that is very close to the material of the chinese top-players - but not too hard for the european playing style. Not for nothing nearly all world champions or olympia winners play sticky chinese rubbers.

- and ordered two black sheets with blue sponge. The rubber "cocoons" arrived two days later, and I played an full practice session with one of them on my Calix II.

Basically, P16ST is a rebranded Big Dipper. It looks, feels and plays exactly like a 40 deg+ Big Dipper.

Thus, anyone looking for a Hurricane-like rubber will be disappointed. The topsheet is nowhere near as tacky as say H3 or H8 or Sanwei Target National (my current rubber which I will most likely go back to). I have opened both rubber "cocoons", and both topsheets are equally non-tacky, so this is unlikely to be a QC issue.

This is not to say that P16ST is a "bad" rubber. It is a cannon if you know how to use it. It is simply not "tacky/sticky" as advertised.

Reactions: Suga D and BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Very interesting, VVK1.
Thanks a lot for sharing. I'll let you know if mine is sticky as soon as my rubbers arrives (which should be tomorrow or the day after)
Also very interesting the comparison to big dipper.
I used one sheet on my backup blade, and funny thing is, after two months its tackiness seems to be slightly increasing.
But i won't hesitate to tell them if it's not tacky and gonna tell them my about my feelings and misleading advertisings.
[Emoji2]

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Cool stuff!

But why would you say a harder rubber is for more spin? Isn't it harder to generate spin with a harder sponge?

It is harder but the trade off is that if you swing hard and fast, the spin on drives is more with harder sponge. Softer sponges have a lower drive spin threshold so you won't get more spin by swinging harder. With harder sponges, the harder you swing, the more spin you get up to a higher threshold. I used harder sponges all the time when I had a healthier shoulder.

It is harder but the trade off is that if you swing hard and fast, the spin on drives is more with harder sponge. Softer sponges have a lower drive spin threshold so you won't get more spin by swinging harder. With harder sponges, the harder you swing, the more spin you get up to a higher threshold. I used harder sponges all the time when I had a healthier shoulder.

Great explanation! I thought completely the opposite =)

This user has no status.
Agree with this, while counter intuitive. [emoji4]

Assuming that the sponge not harder than the blade, and the soft and hard rubber have the same rebound speed.

Hard sponge have higher speed margin before bottoming out, enabling more closed loop and horizontal chop.

Problem is, hard and slow sponge is more rare than, hard and fast sponge. Other than behind Tack Chop 2, have yet to find 1.5 mm version yet.

Sent from my S5G using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Very interesting, VVK1.
Thanks a lot for sharing. I'll let you know if mine is sticky as soon as my rubbers arrives (which should be tomorrow or the day after)
Also very interesting the comparison to big dipper.
I used one sheet on my backup blade, and funny thing is, after two months its tackiness seems to be slightly increasing.
But i won't hesitate to tell them if it's not tacky and gonna tell them my about my feelings and misleading advertisings.
[Emoji2]

Sorry to resurrect this old post. Has anyone tried the P16 stick rubber?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Sorry to resurrect this old post. Has anyone tried the P16 stick rubber?

This is how you are actually supposed to resurrect an old TT thread: by noting that is just what you are doing. Then, at least, if someone responds to old comments without realizing they are old, the oversight lies squarely with the person who did not look at dates or read through the thread. :)