Equipment Recommendation - Are you ready for a challenge ????

Hi All,

I was speaking with a fellow team mate and he is thinking of changing his setup.

I don't know his blade, but I do know he plays Skyline 3-60 2.1 on FH and Hurricane 3 Neo 2.1 BH.

Now this is where the challenge comes in...

He describes himself as a "Passive Aggressive" style of player or a "Counter Puncher" to use a boxing synonym !!!!

From what I can understand that he is trying to say is that:
  • he likes to block and prefers to us the opponents drives (speed/power) against them
  • Like to play counter drives
  • He doesn't play much if any loops (that's from seeing him play)

Other than that I don't have a clue what is is trying to say (or think he has to be fair :D )

So a couple of questions for starters if I may...
What type of blade suits a "Blocker" ? Would that be a stiffer blade ? So an OFF category or even a carbon blade ?
What type of rubber suits a blocker ? Should he go for harder sponges and stick with the Chinese types of rubber ?

OR, Am I a million miles off and someone has a much better idea that I can advise him he can look at ?

Many thanks in advance.

Reactions: BeGo and FloKing
This user has no status.
Sounds like an ordinary allrounder to me. Therefore he does not need any special setup. Blade in the ALL+ / OFF- range for example. Two rubbers with medium to a bit faster speed. Maybe not as thick as his current rubbers are. 2,0mm FH, 1,8mm BH.

There are dozens of suitable setups. For example:

Blade: JOOLA TPE Nature
FH: JOOLA Rhyzm 425, 2.0mm
BH: JOOLA Rhyzm 425, 1.8mm

I can tell from personal experience that this is a great setup for such playstyle.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Video play is best to help because we may be imagining him differently than he is. From what I can see in your writing, the chinese rubbers have a lot of control so he's able to punch block frequently which would be a lot more difficult to do with a spin sensative rubber. the counter attack with a punch block would definitely be stronger with a stiff offensive raquet with carbon.

here's the problem. with the slow rubbers he's using and the playstyle you're describing, I can't imagine a punch-block counter attack style working against anyone at a moderately decent level. So that leads us to believing he's a pretty low level that would benefit from NOT going to an offensive blade. So now, ignoring his style choice, because he probably made that choice since it worked at the level he was playing at and kept working, the best setup for him to get better would be:

All wood 5 ply blade for good feeling
Soft rubber on both sides, maybe not even max thickness especially since he's not looping. examples include: rasant grip, tibhar fx-p.

Player Information : UPDATE

Hi All,

I have an update about the playing style from someone who has coached this guy in group sessions:

He is blocker/counter hitter.
His hands are a firm grip – no point in looking at soft blocks, rules out the medium sponges and softer.
What he needs is a good, consistent effect. Medium/hard sponge. Soft side of Hard. Too hard and we’re back to lack of touch hurting – serve and serve receive, the ball will fly.

His coach has suggested that he moves away from inverted and looks at something like Joola Ultra Express (short pips ?)

Also does anyone know how I might identify this blade and its layers ? or does anyone know what it is ?
:)

20160823_184453.jpg20160823_184517.jpg20160823_184555.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
With the update a blade to match that style. I'd go for a clipper blade with mx-P rubbers again not max thickness.

Mxp is has a hard sponge and will match with the described style well. However is may make improving a bit more difficult. So I have a second rubber recommendation.

El-P
It feels softer than mxp and definitely softer than Chinese rubbers but it will allow him to feel the ball better and make adjustments to the spin better as well as teach him to make better contact. This is the clear choice if he's in it for the long run. If he wants to improve over a long period of time this will help him much more than mxp.

Mxp would be better for a quicker fix but his rate of improvement will be much slower than a rubber where he can really feel his blades vibration.

Now if his coach is recommending something different, go with that. The coach knows his style much better than you can describe it to anyone. The coach knows his potential too. Once you get to a certain age trying to improve as an inverted player can be rough, especially as more and more medical issues arise. You'd have to be really dedicated to improve and play a good inverted game once your body doesn't want you to play like that anymore. It's not impossible, just very tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the best blockers in our region who is an older lady Charlene Liu, plays exactly that style. She's been over 2100 USATT and I believe she is 66 yo now. She is the most consistent player I've seen, and I've witnessed her beating male 2300+ level players and laughing at them as they try to power her off the table.

She uses Max Tenergy 05 both sides on an Innerforce ZLC blade.

Former world no.15, and multiple title champ Wilfred Lieck is also that style of players in his late 60s/early 70s and competes still at a very high level. https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilfried_Lieck#Erfolge

He uses a Bty Petr Korbel (OFF) blade with Andro Roxon Max both sides.

Both relatively fast setups.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Hi All,

I was speaking with a fellow team mate and he is thinking of changing his setup.

I don't know his blade, but I do know he plays Skyline 3-60 2.1 on FH and Hurricane 3 Neo 2.1 BH.

Now this is where the challenge comes in...

He describes himself as a "Passive Aggressive" style of player or a "Counter Puncher" to use a boxing synonym !!!!

From what I can understand that he is trying to say is that:
  • he likes to block and prefers to us the opponents drives (speed/power) against them
  • Like to play counter drives
  • He doesn't play much if any loops (that's from seeing him play)

Other than that I don't have a clue what is is trying to say (or think he has to be fair :D )

So a couple of questions for starters if I may...
What type of blade suits a "Blocker" ? Would that be a stiffer blade ? So an OFF category or even a carbon blade ?
What type of rubber suits a blocker ? Should he go for harder sponges and stick with the Chinese types of rubber ?

OR, Am I a million miles off and someone has a much better idea that I can advise him he can look at ?

Many thanks in advance.
Challenge accepted.

basically, a knight with a shield and a lance, so, we can give him either on each side or both. [emoji6]

Galaxy T-2
Galaxy T-1
Galaxy Carbokev K-6
DHS PF4 032
Palio TC6

Hard blade with medium speed for flat balls and nice response from blocking and driving. Forget looping and chopping.

Butterfly Addoy
Butterfly Wakaba
JOOLA 4-All
Butterfly Pan Asia
Dawei 2008 (Super Power)

A shield, for block only. Soft and slow. Note, 4 of them can be mauled from recs combies, plus

Friendship/729 Highpoint
Friendship/729 Focus 3 Snipe
Palio Macro Era
Bomb Mopha
Air Illumina X88

A lance, for drive only. Soft but fast. or,

Cornilleau Target Sound 37.5
Tuttle Beijing 4
Kokutaku Blutenkirsche 868 Tokyo
Dawei Saviga
Dawei Inspirit Quattro Ultralight SV 35

on both sides to enable both blocking and driving on either side. Soft and medium speed.

softer rubber easier to bottom up, for faster return in expense of spin. [emoji6]

Sent from my T1X Plus using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Final Update and Feedback

Firstly, thanks to all that contributed as this was a new one for me.

Normally people suggest what is wrong with their game and then I get someone to help them with their setup. this one was a bit different as the player himself said nothing was "wrong", but wanted setup advice for how he felt he should play.

The summary of all the advice (including other sources than this site) was that he needed to come down from the max rubbers, consider a softer rubber and also a hard/stiff blade.

So some feedback on what has happened.....

This guy is of the "latter" years and whilst he is still young enough to learn, I think he is comfortable with his style to play for enjoyment whilst still trying to win. He doesn't aim to set the world alight, but still wants to be open to what might make him better :)

As for combo, he has decided to go along the lines of his coach's suggestions and picked these:

Joola falcon fast in flared handle
Joola mambo 1.8 in red on the forehand
Dermaterialsspezialist breakout 2.0 in black on the backhand

The blade is a little slower, but this was considered to help compensate for the "firm grip"
Slowed the FH rubber as nearly everyone suggested, but didn't go too soft as is still likely to want to block and move the ball around using the opponents speed.

I did manage to identify the blade as a "Xi-Enting “Tiger X560” Titanium & Carbon blade" on oneofakindtrading, but unfortunately it did not mention the woods in use. Can anyone suggest a good source for these as I am sure I read a few threads where people mentioned databases ?

Lastly, thanks again to all the people on this site who kindly give up their time and energy to write such helpful and insightful posts :)

Reactions: BeGo