• Its time for a new coach

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • I am not to sure

Votes: 2 4.8%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
100% he will not retire, he is making a lot of bucks these years and pretty much have no pressure at all, maybe he will consider retire after 2024 olympics lol

He really does make a lot of money, especially that the government provides food and lodgings for him. But I do think that he is highly stressed out and definitely wouldnt be surprised to not see him at the 2020 olympics.

Still one of the greatest caoches ever. Really gets to know his players and focuses a lot on the psychological aspect of coaching

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I don't think Zhang Jike has announced his retirement , I saw his facebook post saying he is back in training ! This is all chinese tabloid news .. if there is an official announcement , there will be a press release from ITTF ...

What little I could understand from LGL's interview, given the translation was accurate, he wants to cull his role to focus on championships , we have already seen the CNT travelling to pro tours without LGL , so I don't think this is news ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
How about Zhang Jike's dad .... can't think of any other candidate ... :p .... I know @NextLevel will put up a brilliant case for Ma Long's dad , but I have already made clear where my allegiances lie as a fan ;)

I wondered that, if Liu Guoliang was to retire who would take up the position?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
I don't think LGL will retired from working altogether, but only step down from the stressful position of Head Coach and take up another role as a government officer like his predecessor Cai Zhenhua. That way he can do more to the development of the sport instead of just focusing on coaching/counseling players to win gold. My question will be who is going to replace him if LGL really step down. Seems like he is irreplaceable because of all his outstanding achievement.

Reactions: DaveT
This user has no status.
I don't think LGL will retired from working altogether, but only step down from the stressful position of Head Coach and take up another role as a government officer like his predecessor Cai Zhenhua. That way he can do more to the development of the sport instead of just focusing on coaching/counseling players to win gold. My question will be who is going to replace him if LGL really step down. Seems like he is irreplaceable because of all his outstanding achievement.

right, and I think only the ppl who got grand slams are competent to be the head coach, not wang hao/wang liqin( didn't win Olympic), not Ma Lin(didn't win WTTC single). so either Zhangjike or Ma Long are competent to be the head coach now. but don't think LGL will retire before 2020/2024,

Just want to added to that, there are players coach, and there are just players. Some special players can really coach and will be come great coaches, most others just great players but not really good coaches :) that is a fact :p .

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
People exaggerate this head coach grand slam winner thing. In any case, LGL retired really young and he was a brilliant server. There is something about the mindset that goes behind brilliant serving that makes one ideal for analytical coaching...

So I think only Ma Long and Xu Xin are qualified. I also suspect that Kong Linghui may get a promotion if the time is right. Wang Hao is the other guy I can think of.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
How about Zhang Jike's dad .... can't think of any other candidate ... :p .... I know @NextLevel will put up a brilliant case for Ma Long's dad , but I have already made clear where my allegiances lie as a fan ;)

Your allegiances are well founded. Ma Long has not played a match that has excited me as much as ZJK-JYS. Until then, ZJK is on my TT Mount Olympus and can do whatever he wants and I will approve 100%. They should create a special position for him on the CNT that he can come into and play whenever he wants until he dies.

I mean, how many people can get told by their coach to let the opponent feel their presence that they are Zhang Jike? After seeing that match, I understood why the coach told him that 3 years ago.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Interesting thought about the possibility of Liu retiring: at the beginning of Liu's "reign" as head coach (2004-2005), the Chinese wasn't that strong - relatively of course ;-)

- 2004 Olympics: Not winning the gold medal (Ryu SM) and Ma Lin and Wang Hao/Kong LH losing early in doubles.
- 2005 WTTC: "Only" gold and silver for China (Oh Sang Eun and Maze).
- 2005 World Cup: Boll winning after beating all three top Chinese in a row (Wang Liqin, Ma Lin and Wang Hao).

If a new head coach experience similar problems in the beginning, it could make China a little less dominant - at least for a while...? :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I mean, how many people can get told by their coach to let the opponent feel their presence that they are Zhang Jike? After seeing that match, I understood why the coach told him that 3 years ago.

Hey, I was just joking , I was enjoying your arguments on ML vs ZJK very much ... where did you get this nugget , is there any translated commentary video ? I would be very much interested in seeing it ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
CNT did have a new rule of coaches of China can't be over 40 years old (when applying)
I can't remember and don't have time to dig, but I do suspect the next "renew" of coaching contract may be coming up soon.

If based on the last update of rules, LGL will be too old to reapply for a coaching role in CNT
Same applies for KLH as they are both 40 years old

Wang Liqin, Wang Hao, Ma Lin all having been "champion" in some way may be the front runners in the men's team.
As other CNT men's coach didn't really have players track record to be head coach.
I recall head coach (for mens or women's team) require to be a previous world champion

So my saying continues, being a table tennis star in China is not easy.
Your playing career is not long
Your coaching career (in national team) is not long too

Of the 2 kings and 1 horse (wang and ma), I would say Ma Lin seems to be the best head coach material out of the 3
My bet with WLQ being women's head coach

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Hope all 3 can be head coaches

1 for Mens Head Coach
1 for Women's Head Coach
1 for CNT Head Coach

Sad no female champion is staying to be coach.
I doubt LXX will stay
WN, ZYN all pretty much married and have kids now.