More spin in service

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Great to see Allen join the LULZ here at TTC.

A lot of pros explain about making big power is to be real loose with grip and other muscles to help accelerate to bat and right at impact firm up to make the BANG impact explosive, it is a matter of transferring energy... that can work for serves, but it is a matter of grabbing and shooting out at impact.

HAHA P-Nchy would luv this talk, but since he isn't here any moar, it is easy to say this or that, but you gotta do it yourself and feel it your self to know when you got it right. Whatever we say here doesn't mean half a lick, one has to experience stuff themselves. However, it is great when someone can break it down and show where you are wrong. It is great to listen to anyone like Dan or Carl or NL or Allen sya it, but it won't make sense until you fail for yourself and later do it their way.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
A lot of players try to use too much long arm (trying to be a mach man and use shoulder muscles) or try to use too much wrist movement.

I might be the odd ball out here who uses only a minor amount of wrist on serves to generate really heavy short underspin when I want. I believe that when someone tries to use too much wrist, they are messing up the timing and after all, the ball is in contact with the bat a short time and you cannot use all that wrist motion to accelerate the bat anywayz.

You accelerate the bat by moving your entire arm, but when arm is getting close to impact zone, you slow down or stop upper arm... if you are loose and do that, then the lower arm automatically receives the kinetic energy and moves forward on its own... at the right moment after this happens, you add to this with an impulse (helps to have a Popeye Bicep) and do a quick twitch to move lower arm more and at the end, wrist is still loose, and you use your Popeye forearm to snap that 10 degrees or so of your wrist right at the end... you are grabbing the ball and shooting it out. Aim for center of bat, trying for the tip is too difficult inconsistent.

This is the whipping motion Brett pimps up and it is a good pimp job he does... and he clearly articulates it.

A lot of us mach males try to add the power in the wrong way at the wrong time...take Ur vitamins and listen to TTD.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I use that word explosion a lot when describing shots. You explode as a result of your energy transfer and make the whip movement in an explosive manner. All the little movements that contribute to the energy transfer play a part and in the end, you are exploding. I often describe a shot as exploding through the ball, especially vs underspin. Acceleration should be explosive, even on serves.

I see way too many players start with a backswing that shows promise of energy transfer, but they either stiffen some muscles and get locked in 8x8 drive, or slow down their bat at the last moment to keep the ball on the table... or have their bat to closed (when trying for a short underspin) or swing down to get the graze, instead of efficient forward.

It is hard to fix in a month, impossible to fix in one day. Took me 6 months of practicing every day, but I am a slow joker, a dedicated person hearing and seeing an efficient way can do a consistent heavy short serve in 2 months of practice.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder