Man vs Woman in TT - 100 WMR = 1 WWR ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
Singles games (MS/WS) : Classic !
Doubles games (MD/WD) : Not much different !
Mixed Doubles games (XD) : Unique, but not too many in international matches :\
Cross-genre battle (EPIC) : WOW ! Now thats a twist..

The idea of a man vs woman challenge popped up in my mind not so long ago.
So lets start the hot discussion !
Yeah, man as we know is physically stronger compared to woman. Thats unarguable in most cases.
BUT, talking about sports, specifically Table Tennis, is man always a better player compared to woman ? What do you think ?

zhanglucjan.jpg

Here is a good example.
Lucjan Błaszczyk is currently ranked 85 in the world. His play style is compact and explosive (at least imo). Typical man player !
Check this vid out. Look at the power he could generate against Cheung Yuk !

Now could you say that he is adequate to beat all top women players ?
Check this Killerspin Challenge vid out !

Now how about that :D

So, without further ado, lets start the hot discussion, ladies and gentlemen !
But remember to stick with the topic of Man vs Woman in table tennis.

Here is some thoughts to start with :
- Is a 100 world ranked man equals to, say, woman's top 10 ?
- Is man always a better TT player ?
- Should ITTF make more challenge matches between man and woman ?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
This is really fun and interesting, but I think KillerSpin is the right place for this type of event. ITTF shouldn't host cross-gender singles events. I don't think it happens in other sports too, like tennis or badminton. Also it would mess up the world rankings :p. But again, it is really nice and interesting to watch world top players from different genders competing against each other.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I don't think so, you can the that the polish don't want to lose .... for men it is even worse to lose to women, so much more pressure on men's side :D
but I think that the top chinese players can competer in Top 50 in Men World Ranking. They have a modern topspin style, they are agile and sometimes I think they are faster in small steps :D
Btw Zhang Yining did not only win against Lucjan, also against Hao Shuai!

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
I don't think so, you can the that the polish don't want to lose .... for men it is even worse to lose to women, so much more pressure on men's side :D
but I think that the top chinese players can competer in Top 50 in Men World Ranking. They have a modern topspin style, they are agile and sometimes I think they are faster in small steps :D
Btw Zhang Yining did not only win against Lucjan, also against Hao Shuai!

I agree... Awesome! Is there a video of Zhang beating Hao §huai?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using tapatalk

Ian

This user has no status.

Ian

This user has no status.
Feb 2011
I remember seeing a video of Alexei Smirnov against a female player, Japanese I believe. She won in 7 games and you can tell by the way they were playing it definitely wasn't fixed. I can't find the video now though.

I think women make up for their lack of power with excellent blocking. I reckon the top women could beat guys outside the top 20 if they're not on their game.

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
In australia Miao Miao pushed Simon Gerada to the 7th set in the PingSkills Classic! They are similarly ranked in mens and womens in Australia but this result can happen, I think it is no surprise that female players can compete with males, males just aren't used to the difference in style

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Well.. I admit I have lost to many female players.. some have amazing flexibility and quickness.. Most amazing is tho they lack in power they are fast quick in their movement!
But its a different story in international TT games.. top 100 men might beat top 100 women anytime.. but still it would be interesting to watch tho.. :D

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I remember seeing a video of Alexei Smirnov against a female player, Japanese I believe. She won in 7 games and you can tell by the way they were playing it definitely wasn't fixed. I can't find the video now though.

I think women make up for their lack of power with excellent blocking. I reckon the top women could beat guys outside the top 20 if they're not on their game.

I agree. I think at that level anything really can happen. Who did Ma Lin just lose to in Harmony? :) I also know I have beaten players who are ranked way higher than me and lost to players I have no business losing to. :)

The reflexes of women always amaze me, and Zhang Yining is no joke. She is pretty sensational. But, the Killer Spin matches are set up the way they are for a reason and I do think there is a positive side to the way they fix matches. The rallies are very interesting and fun to watch. They make it more enjoyable to a novice who is not used to what you see when the top pros are playing to win and trying to end each point as fast as possible.

One thing I notice with this match, many of the points do end fairly quickly as though they are playing for real. There is none of that showboating where someone jumps over the barricade and is lobbing from the back or the side. But, they are putting a lot of their short game shots quite high so they are easy to attack. They are both doing it, but Lucjan Błaszczyk is doing it to more of an extent than Zhang Yining is. Also, a great percentage of Lucjan's loops look slow and high, easy to handle.

No matter what, Zhang Yining is a great player who, I am sure has the potential, when she is really tournament ready, to take matches from many of the top men.

Last edited: