How long will Adidas equipment stay legal?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
I know that the Adidas (or whoever they license their name to) is getting out of the TT market. I hear that some of the blades are pretty good, and they are cheap right now, but how long will they remain legal at regional and national tournaments? Or is it not a big deal? Thanks for any advice!

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Does equipment not have to be ITTF-approved, and some fee has to be paid for that to happen? I'm not doubting your answer, I'm just confused. A fairly knowledgable friend told me that ITTF-approval on the Adidas line would lapse in the near future. Perhaps I misunderstood and its just the rubbers that can be illegal.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
I know that the Adidas (or whoever they license their name to) is getting out of the TT market. I hear that some of the blades are pretty good, and they are cheap right now, and but how will they remain legal at regional and national tournaments? Or is it not a big deal? Thanks for any advice!

adidas rubbers are legal and officially allowed until the authorization from the ITTF (LARC) will expire. And the date for this is June 2017. After that adidas rubbers can no longer been played at official tournaments. You can try it, but don´t wonder becoming disqualified ;-)

Reactions: Rayeez and Suga D
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
ITTF does not approve blades. They do approve rubbers (and balls, of course).

As the previous commenter indicated, you can find out is something is approved by checking the List of Approved Racket Coverings (LARC). Rubbers are approved for a period of time. After that, the company marketing the rubber has to pay another bribe, er, fee, or the approval lapses. I am not sure how one knows when the Adidas approval ends though. I believe that they update the LARC twice a year. I could be wrong about that.

http://www.ittf.com/stories/pictures/LARC_2016A_no_annex.pdf

http://www.ittf.com/_front_page/ittf1.asp?category=rubber

Last edited:
says what [IMG]

As the previous commenter indicated, you can find out is something is approved by checking the List of Approved Racket Coverings (LARC). Rubbers are approved for a period of time. After that, the company marketing the rubber has to pay another bribe, er, fee, or the approval lapses. I am not sure how one knows when the Adidas approval ends though. I believe that they update the LARC twice a year. I could be wrong about that.

http://www.ittf.com/stories/pictures/LARC_2016A_no_annex.pdf

http://www.ittf.com/_front_page/ittf1.asp?category=rubber

Bribe. Good one. ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews

Correct.

The rubbers will be "legal" until 30/6/17. This is half-official info, but widely spread. If you can find some cheap, buying two or three pairs should take you to that date. And if you don´t play official tournaments with racket controls, you can try to play them even longer, it´s just that if your opponent demands to see your racket and protests, you have a problem.

Reactions: Suga D
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yep. All you need is what Baal said.

But even with the rubbers. If you have a pair and you are using them and you like them, if you don't play sanctioned tournaments where they check your rubber, who is going to bother you about it?

If you do play sanctioned tournaments that check your rubbers, then you would need to comply and change them.

So, do you play in scenarios where the currentness of ITTF approval matters? ITTF did approve those rubbers at some point. The rubbers have not changed. The only thing that has changed is that Addidas did not renew the approval by paying the ITTF fees.

If approval is just about paying fees, not too many people will care if you are using a rubber that used to be approved, was never ruled "illegal" but is no longer "legal" because the company no longer is in business.

Sent from Inside The Chamber of Secrets by Patronus

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
adidas rubbers are legal and officially allowed until the authorization from the ITTF (LARC) will expire. And the date for this is June 2017. After that adidas rubbers can no longer been played at official tournaments. You can try it, but don´t wonder becoming disqualified ;-)

Nothing to add to that
[Emoji13]