Joao Monteiro Interview - Professional Player (World Rank 41)

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
TableTennisDaily exclusive interview with a TT professional! (Hours to make, seconds to comment)

joao.jpg

Joao Monteiro vs Timo Boll - Photo thanks to Vittorio Barbieri

Full Name: Joao Monteiro

Date Of Birth: 29/08/1983

Height: 72 kg

Club represented: FC Saarbrucken Tischtennis

Highest World Ranking: 41 (March 2010)

Equipment – Butterfly

Blade: Michael Maze
FH Rubber: TENERGY 05
BH Rubber: TENERGY 64

Your career

How long have you been playing table tennis for, when did you start?
I started to play table tennis at 9 years old in my first club, Grupo Recreativo de Tercena

Who has been the biggest influence on your career?
I always love to see Jan Ove Wadner playing but my model as player is Jean Phillipe Gatien

You’re a very successful international star now, what do you feel was your biggest achievement to date?
When I was a youth I came 3rd in Europe top 12 and 3rd in Junior Europeans. As senior I have reached the Olympic Games, quarter-finals in Europeans in St. Petersbourg and 1st place in Swiss Open my best results besides also 10 medals in Pro Tours (2 in singles and 8 in doubles).

Ok, maybe you don't like looking back to this but what was your biggest low in your career?
It was last year when i had 6 months injury and because of bad advice and also self fault playing injured and loose many matches when in normal conditions I think I would win almost all. Those made me go down a hell of a lot in the world ranking.

Are you looking forward to the 2012 Olympics?
If I was careful with my injury maybe I was now already qualified on that time but the time doesn't come back so I’m working hard to come to my best table tennis again and hopefully be able to qualify for the Olympic Games in London.

lesliefrancs - HI, Is pursuing a life towards TT worth the rewards? and does playing TT full time effect your personal life?
Yes, of course its worth the rewards, I am very happy with what I did already and i am trying, every practice, to get better and better to achieve even better results. About the personal life, I don't have the same available time as one person with my age which doesn't make professional sport but I can also enjoy my free time how I want, even if is not so much.

DaveCochrane - Hi, I would like to know what you want to do when you’re playing days are over, will you stay working in table tennis such as coaching etc.
I still don’t think about it because I wish to play much more years as a professional player.

forestloves - HI, would you rather Win the World Championships, or win a silver in the Olympic Games?
For me to win a medal in World Championships or in Olympic Games is an achievement very big and it means that the work I did was the right one so doesn't matter in which competition because I would be very happy to win one medal in one of this very big competitions.

Equipment

TerIphik - Hi, I would like to know if the material (rubbers and blades) of professional players is the same to the same material as we (nonprofessional) buy in table tennis shops?
I don't have any idea about that, I am not the person to answer these kinds of questions, I think the companies themselves knows much more of that and can explain better of these kind of things.

Do you use booster to enhance your rubber?
No, I don't use booster in my rubbers.

topgunwow - Hi, are you happy about the speed glue ban, has it had an effect on your game?
Hi, I think it was good to ban the speed glue, first because was very bad for the health of the players and people around and also because know with this white glue you save much more time and don't need always glue before each match and waste time.

China’s dominance

What's your view on the Chinese dominance at the moment, why are they so good do you believe?
They are better because they practice more, they have better conditions of practice and also they have the best coaches. Also table tennis in China is their national sport so it’s like to have football as number 1 sport in almost all countries.

What is it like playing one of the legends from China?
Is good to play against this kind of players because one thing is seeing in TV or in the hall when they play against the others, another thing is to play against them and realize why it’s so hard to win points against them, they don't have weak points and you must work a lot to win points against them.

5195685413_9580af5aec.jpg

Photo by: Cavabienmerci on flickr

Training

BollForte94 from table tennis daily wants to know what you practice the most. Do you have a certain training regime each week or does it alter?
I try to practice everything from service, receive, footwork and multi ball every week. I also focus on my weak points so I improve as a player. The less and less weak points I have the harder it is for them. It also means I am not afraid when they play me to these areas.

Do you serve practice often?
Yes, I service practice a lot because its vital and key in a match

Do you run every day?
I don't run every day, I run 2-3 time a week.

Leankints wants to know do you train on the mental aspects of the game. Do you find this side of the game is just as important as the technical parts?
Yes. Table tennis is one of the most complex sports in the world, that´s why all the aspects are important and must be practiced and the mental part belongs also to the table tennis game.

Legislate – If you don’t have much coaching, do you motivate yourself? Can you still be a good player without a coach?
I think is very important to have a coach who cares about you and helps you to improve your game and to motivate you in every practice so you can get stronger. And of course the relationship between coach and player must be good and open because only like that this "partnership" can work.

Matches/ Tournaments

Joelstar – What warm ups do you do before a game to get you ready to compete?
I warm up my body first before go to the table so I don't get any kind of injury and then on the table about 45 minutes to get feeling and prepare for the match.

Atomichaos – Do you ever give up a match when you’re losing?
No, a real champion and a real sportsmen never gives up, doesn't matter what. I remember one time I was losing one set against Grujic of Serbia 10-1 and I won the set 12-10 and, finally, won the match so everything is possible in sport.

Gauravvrak – What’s your mind strategy when you are 2-0 down? What do you think to have the belief to get back into the match?
I must believe that is still possible to turn the game, try to listen my coach to see what is going wrong in the game and then try to fight and fight to try to turn the match.

The shot you did against Dimitrij Ovtcharov when the ball went around the net of the table. Are these shots rare or can you do them often in training? Which can be seen below:

I think in practice these kinds of balls are easier as you don’t have as much tension as being in a real match. But if you don’t feel afraid in real game or tournament you don’t see many shots like that because the feeling in a match and training I totally different.

We notice you have a lot of passion when you play which is great. Especially when you played Timo Boll last year and Qiu Yike. What is it like playing against Timo Boll, what separates him from the rest of the European’s?
I think everybody likes to play against the best players, it is a nice feeling and the most important when you play against players like these is too fight and believe you can win. Boll is the best European player and one of the best players in the world because he doesn't miss so many balls, He doesn't miss easy balls and he has very good balance when he plays, it is rare to see him crossing his legs, his legs are almost always stable.

Off the topic questions

What famous people have you met through table tennis?
Cristiano Ronaldo

Who are your favorite sportsmen of all time?
My model player is Jean Phillipe Gatien

Favorite film?
Gladiator

What car do you drive?
Audi RS5

What’s your favorite music?
All kind of music, only heavy metal I don't like. Sorry to heavy metal fans hehe

What do you do in your spare time other then table tennis?
I spend time with my girlfriend, I go shopping, when I am home I am on internet chatting with my family because I don't live in Portugal and sometimes I go to the cinema.

Do you eat well or eat junk good?
Normally I eat well, I am careful with that.

PS3 or XBOX 360?
PS3

Do you go out partying with your friends or team mates?
Not so often because almost all weekends are busy with matches

Do you watch yourself on youtube?
Sometimes

Do you watch your opponents on youtube to find out how they play and tactics you can use?
Sometimes, when I don't have them in my own video.

Your team mates

Whos the funniest player in the training hall?
I am hehe

Who’s trains the hardest in the training hall?
Chinese players

Who’s the funniest team player?
i am hehe

JOAO4_3_10.jpg

Photo by: Roscher

Who has the best nickname?
Par Gerell (PG) - For our interview with Par Gerell click HERE

Who do you find the hardest player to beat in the training hall?
Bojan Tokic

And Lastly

And lastly, thanks very much for your kindness in taking part in this interview for all the members of the Table Tennis Daily forum to learn and know more about the life of a professional player.

Would you like to add one last tip, or an inspirational message to us all?
It’s good to see that many people love table tennis around the world people who like to promote table tennis! I feel this because our sport is so nice to look at and it has so much to give to the world and to the world of sport! Thanks for reading.

Good luck in your next competition

Thanks!

Table Tennis Daily Staff and forum

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
wow thanks Dan, cool interview, you ask really cool questions like i didn't know hi drives an Audi RS 5 lol :D. I love Monteiro and i hope he'll do better and better !!! :)

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
wow thanks Dan, cool interview, you ask really cool questions like i didn't know hi drives an Audi RS 5 lol :D. I love Monteiro and i hope he'll do better and better !!! :)

Thanks!

Welcome to the site mrrybnik :). Hope you are enjoying the site, everyone here is fantastic! Take care

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Full Name: Joao Monteiro

Date Of Birth: 29/08/1983

Height: 72 kg

Club represented: FC Saarbrucken Tischtennis

Highest World Ranking: 41 (March 2010)

Just .. its weight as Yosua noticed.. and also - if he is 1983 year, he is 28 now, not 27 ;)

Anyways, good interview, was nice to read!
Well done and thanks too!