Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
The September world rankings have been released from the ITTF and here are the listings below! There have been some awesome transformations in the rankings this period so check it out! The rankings were published by the International Table Tennis Federation on Thursday 1st September 2011.

Two stars stole the show this time around. This were China's Yan An and Russia's Alexey Liventsov. This is the first time both players have broke into the top 100 barrier however by the looks of things they will be breaking the top 50 barrier in no time!

yannn.jpg

Photo by: Richard Pettit

Mens World Rankings

The world number 1 Wang Hao keeps his top position dominating the table tennis rankings. Amongst the elite top 10 Ma Long has moved into the number 2 spot after winning the recent Harmony China Open. He jumped from no.5 to an impressive 3 places higher to no.2 spot. Behind him leads European player Timo Boll who drops one place to number 3. Zhang Jike remains at number 4 however Ma Lin slips from position 3 to 5 after his upset loss in the 2nd round at the China Open to Alexey Liventsov. (Pictured above)

Elsewhere in the top 10, Vladimir Samsonov drops two places from no.6 to no.8. The ever improving Jun Mizutani of Japan has jumped from 8 to no.6 whilst China's Xu Xin and Korea's Joo Se Hyuk replace the 9th and 10th spots.

wang-hao-during-the-2008-ol.jpg

Photo by: cnsphoto

1) Wang Hao
2) Ma Long
3) Timo Boll
4) Zhang Jike
5) Ma Lin
6) Jun Mizutani
7) Wang Liqin
8) Vladimir Samsonov
9) Xu Xin
10) Joo Se Hyuk

Back to the main headline! Yan An jumped an impressive 90 places from the previous August ranking!. He jumped from no.161 to an incredible position of 71. Likewise for Russia's Alexey Liventsov who jumped from 120 to no.95.

Alexey went against the critics and defeated reigning Olympic champion Ma Lin and Yan An defeated Wang Hao. Who put a bet on bwin for these matches? :p

In other age categories, Xu Xin remains the top spot of the under 21 rankings. Japan's Koki Niwa leads the Junior ranking list whilst China's Zhang Peifing leads the cadet categoty.

Womens World Rankings

li_xiaoxia3_31_08_11_Large.jpg

Photo by: Rémy Gros

1) Li Xiaoxia
2) Gao Yan
3) Ding Ning
4) Feng Tianwei
5) Guo Yue
6) Liu Shiwen
7) Kasumi Ishikawa
8) Ai Fukuhara
9) WU Yang
10) Wang Yuegu

Chinas Li Xiaoxia still remains at the top spot on the women's world rankings. Impressively the last time Li won an ITTF Pro Tour was August 2010 at the Harmony China Open. This year she lost in the semi final to Guo Yan which moved her from no.4 to no.2 in the rankings.

The Chinese stars including Ding Ning remains at No.3 with Guo Yue at no.5, then followed by Liu Shiwen at no.6. Wu Yang is now at no.9. Japan's star Ai Fukuhara remains at eight place with her team mate Kasumi Ishikawa who has travelled everywhere from Chile to China. She moves from no.11 to no.7 making her Kasumi the highest ranked Japanese player.

Sayaka Hirano drops out of the top 10 rankings with Wang Yuegu dropping to number 10. Feng Tianwei drops to no.4 from no.2.

What do you all think of the new world rankings? Any surprises? What do you think of the rankings this period around.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Im surprised that Wang Hao and Li Xiaoxia still are at the top.. They are not as good as the rest, for example I cant see Xiaoxia beat Liu Shiwen or Ding Ning.. Also she didnt win any major title last months..
Also Wang Hao - I cant see him beating Ma Long or Zhang Jike.. Only with luck (just like that he had on World championships, when he got an edge ball in very critical moment) .. And he didnt win anything major too..

It has to be that they always get high into semis or finals everytime, what is caused by their top seed everywhere, so they get the best too late..
So they will be top for some time.. It didnt work for Wang Hao now, because of missing Timo Boll as no 2 in the world, so he got stronger players earlier now..

Anyways, I am very happy for Kasumi Ishikawa! :)
Also I am surprised for Guo Yan (I see mistyped her name a lot,.. like Gao Yan :confused: )
But her second place after making impossible at Harmony is well deserved, just like Ma Long´s second place in men´s rankings..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Im surprised that Wang Hao and Li Xiaoxia still are at the top.. They are not as good as the rest, for example I cant see Xiaoxia beat Liu Shiwen or Ding Ning.. Also she didnt win any major title last months..
Also Wang Hao - I cant see him beating Ma Long or Zhang Jike.. Only with luck (just like that he had on World championships, when he got an edge ball in very critical moment) .. And he didnt win anything major too..

It has to be that they always get high into semis or finals everytime, what is caused by their top seed everywhere, so they get the best too late..
So they will be top for some time.. It didnt work for Wang Hao now, because of missing Timo Boll as no 2 in the world, so he got stronger players earlier now..

Anyways, I am very happy for Kasumi Ishikawa! :)
Also I am surprised for Guo Yan (I see mistyped her name a lot,.. like Gao Yan :confused: )
But her second place after making impossible at Harmony is well deserved, just like Ma Long´s second place in men´s rankings..

hmmm I don't know. Wang Hao I think has a 50/50 chance of beating Zhang Jike, maybe a little worse than 50/50. But in the big matches when he is playing well, his control of the short game and Ma Long's lack thereof really makes a difference. When they two play in a normal tournament, Ma Long usually wins, but in a big one like the world championships, the last two have clearly shown that Ma Long still need improvement in his game to beat Wang Hao. Even with his unparalleled counterlooping skills, Ma Long still has problems when the initial loop of his opponent is of really high quality.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
hmmm I don't know. Wang Hao I think has a 50/50 chance of beating Zhang Jike, maybe a little worse than 50/50. But in the big matches when he is playing well, his control of the short game and Ma Long's lack thereof really makes a difference. When they two play in a normal tournament, Ma Long usually wins, but in a big one like the world championships, the last two have clearly shown that Ma Long still need improvement in his game to beat Wang Hao. Even with his unparalleled counterlooping skills, Ma Long still has problems when the initial loop of his opponent is of really high quality.

I would say that Wang Hao got the 'charisma' and better mental clarity. A quality of different dimension !

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Cool. Nice to see Ma Long moving back up. It is strange to me though, that when Zhang Jike won the World Championship, his ranking did not change. Jike was in the finals of the China Open and his ranking did not change. He finished higher than Wang Hao in the China Open, he finished higher than Wang Hao in the Worlds, He finished higher than Timo as well in both, neither Wang Hao or Timo have won anything since the Worlds and yet they continue to be ranked higher than Zhang Jike. And yet, Ma Long won his first tournament since last year at the Asia Games and he jumped 4 places. The way they accumulate points does not always make sense to me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010

Ma Longs short game was amzing in the Harmony Open, when the short game will be on this level for the future, then thumps up. maybe cause of his new blade for 25$? :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Cool. Nice to see Ma Long moving back up. It is strange to me though, that when Zhang Jike won the World Championship, his ranking did not change. Jike was in the finals of the China Open and his ranking did not change. He finished higher than Wang Hao in the China Open, he finished higher than Wang Hao in the Worlds, He finished higher than Timo as well in both, neither Wang Hao or Timo have won anything since the Worlds and yet they continue to be ranked higher than Zhang Jike. And yet, Ma Long won his first tournament since last year at the Asia Games and he jumped 4 places. The way they accumulate points does not always make sense to me.

You forget that Zhang lost agianst Nr.149 in English Open and lost many many many points and China Open Zhang lost in the early rounds too. You loose more point for a loss than you win for a win :D