Another dumb vid :)

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
Hi Buddy, I can see your improvements. Nice job. Pretty good BH flick you got there. Work at it, I think you've got something there. I think you were just fooling around in that video. Your FH 3rd ball attack was a bit predictable. If you can just make the ball move away from your mate's BH with a little sidespin. I think it would be more effective...since you're lefty. That should open up his FH side if he return your shots.
Also, it would be good if you can read your opponent/s better. He drop shot you a few times there buddy. And finally, close your bat a little more and give the ball a little brush when you defending..you may surprise him with a kick return. ehehe

Hi Buddy, I can see your improvements. Nice job. Pretty good BH flick you got there. Work at it, I think you've got something there. I think you were just fooling around in that video. Your FH 3rd ball attack was a bit predictable. If you can just make the ball move away from your mate's BH with a little sidespin. I think it would be more effective...since you're lefty. That should open up his FH side if he return your shots.
Also, it would be good if you can read your opponent/s better. He drop shot you a few times there buddy. And finally, close your bat a little more and give the ball a little brush when you defending..you may surprise him with a kick return. ehehe

uhmmmm sirr azlan Im the boy in black :))))))

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
As I said it's as simple as making every ball count. Complete focus on every shot. The main points I told you.
-Get your body low when pushing the ball, try not to come completely underneath the ball, this will push the ball too high. Depending on the spin you should always have some contact on the back of the ball, keeping it low. This means moving your body in, leg under the table, head low and close to your bat and don't straighten your arm.
-Be confident when attacking, you are a bit softer than before with your forehand I think, you need to have positive attitude when attacking, thinking of where you hit the ball and how hard. Keep your body low. SERVES ARE BETTER! :) body is lower when serving, needs to be like this for duration of rally.
-Set a purpose. Remember you should have goals my young friend, they are the ultimate endall of the game, aim for something and WORK hard towards it!

But most important of all, try to focus on the good shots. Analyse the things which aren't working, but don't think about them too much.

ONE POINT AT A TIME! :)

As I said it's as simple as making every ball count. Complete focus on every shot. The main points I told you.
-Get your body low when pushing the ball, try not to come completely underneath the ball, this will push the ball too high. Depending on the spin you should always have some contact on the back of the ball, keeping it low. This means moving your body in, leg under the table, head low and close to your bat and don't straighten your arm.
-Be confident when attacking, you are a bit softer than before with your forehand I think, you need to have positive attitude when attacking, thinking of where you hit the ball and how hard. Keep your body low. SERVES ARE BETTER! :) body is lower when serving, needs to be like this for duration of rally.
-Set a purpose. Remember you should have goals my young friend, they are the ultimate endall of the game, aim for something and WORK hard towards it!

But most important of all, try to focus on the good shots. Analyse the things which aren't working, but don't think about them too much.

Gosh Sir Matt , ur contributions to my game is incomparable. U made me into what I am right now in table tennis. I thought i wasn't going to improve anymore until i met u. :)))))))))))
Imma make these quotes as basis for my every stroke and movment :))
THX sir Matt .Ur the greatest person i've ever met :)))))

Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Wow that's really nice Renz. You can honour me by setting big goals and working really hard to meet them. As long as this forum is here there will always be people to give you the step up you need. Aside from that it has to be you who drives yourself forward, there is no greater force in sport than self-motivation, you have to WANT it! :) Never give up young man.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
Wow that's really nice Renz. You can honour me by setting big goals and working really hard to meet them. As long as this forum is here there will always be people to give you the step up you need. Aside from that it has to be you who drives yourself forward, there is no greater force in sport than self-motivation, you have to WANT it! :) Never give up young man.

What a sweet relationship between a sensei and his apprentice :')
You are doing an exceptional job bro Matt :)
Go go Renz I know you could improve vastly :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
Alrighty matey Renzy Alcaney.
Now I am going to point out some advice ;)

0:00 Nice point. Its actually your friend's mistake to push the ball directly to your forehand. As I could see you could comfortably attack it and dominate the point.
0:07 Your service doesn't contain too much backspin. Your friend could return it with only a slightly open bat. You should've attacked a ball that high.
0:12 Good deception by your friend. It contains more sidespin compared to backspin. However the high return's consequence could be minimized with a good placement, thats why bro Matt asked you to concentrate on every point.
0:16 Similar scenario, except the service contain more backspin and you returned it short and nice to his wide forehand. This forced him to push the ball which you could attack and at last dominate the point. Nice.
0:26 Nice backhand flick by your friend. Its blockable but too bad you missed it. That would take him by surprise.
0:30 Fatal service return, to take a backhand flick you need to have the ball in front of your body, you need to take a step next time. But, your friend returned your return even fatal. And in the end the edge stole your point :D
0:37 Another easy to attack return from your friend. He is smart to put sidespin on it, but without good placement, you could just attack it. Nice consistent forehand there.
0:42 Your friend should've attacked the ball more aggresively, anyway good recovery and you can control the rally. Nice.
0:49 Smart play. Your friend have noticed the lack of backspin but he is hesitant in attacking, enabling you to turn the situation to your favor. Love it. Nice recovery too.
0:57 Your friend's footwork and lazy short game creates an opening despite he could attack it. He lacks ball placement too. However you got too passive, you should step to your side and kill the ball with your forehand. Quite a waste.
1:04 Nice block, incidentally after you steer him to attack from his wide forehand, you block the ball wide to his backhand, crippling his footwork. He should've attacked more confidently.
1:10 Epic. Nuff said. Anyway your friend's reaction is a bit too late or maybe he thought the ball will go out hehe.
1:13 The lack of backspin enables him to attack the 3rd ball BUT once again he attacked with mediocrity and he stays in his position, making the next shot weaker and at last lost his balance when you block the ball. He need more confidence imo ;) If the ball is in, he would've got the point.
1:19 Nice placed attack to his backhand. His mistake is in the ball placement. Once again to your forehand which you could attack easily.
1:24 Ossum :D
1:29 Nice semi fast forehand push but it seems that he got amazed by it and he played the next stroke poorly hehe..
1:34 Neet. You should've read his serve better. He is good at manipulating sidespins.
1:40 Nice open game after you attacked his serve right away. Nice initiative.
1:47 I used to think to do that :D Nice !
1:54 Wow his receive was Waldner style yet it lands to your forehand again.. Nice placement wide to his forehand.
1:59 Good deception and bad reading from your friend. Seeing that he should take at least one step back.
2:02 CROSSSSTEP ! Nice :)

Huff thats not some thats MUCH :D
Keep on developing bro ;)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Really top notch info. Great post. All of us can learn from this. Renz, you are doing so much right. But it is fun to set goals and continue to improve. With your attitude you will go far.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Hohum, a reference of mine ;)
If you have watched it, just watch it once again :p. I don't play with much power here, just good placement and tactics.
Incorporate this to your game and voila you will be even better.

Yosua, this is a fun, fun video. It is clear you are having a great time playing.

It does look like you are goofing around so, perhaps technique is beside the point. However, you are straight upright with your legs straight. If you bent your knees and got lower and got your weight forward you would get a lot more power and you would see the table better. Also, if you are serving from the center of the table, once in a while for a change of pace that is fine. But if you are always there you are limiting the effectiveness of your serves. If you are on the backhand side you can control the whole table with your forehand and you get much better angles to the backhand side. This forces your opponent to have to cover the backhand side or they will simply lose the point with a high angle serve to the backhand. And, if the go to far to the backhand side, a fast serve down the line also gives you an easy point. If you are more on the forehand side you get better angles to the forehand, although, the serve you are using is not so good to do from the forehand side, because the sidespin pulls the ball to the backhand side leaving you a little open on the backhand side. But once in a while it works from the forehand side to change things up. But if you are always serving from the middle of the table, you are limiting how you set yourself up for the rest of the point and you are cutting down your angles. I don't know that you need that with the person you were playing and the fun quality of the video but... :)

Last edited:
Alrighty matey Renzy Alcaney.
Now I am going to point out some advice ;)

0:00 Nice point. Its actually your friend's mistake to push the ball directly to your forehand. As I could see you could comfortably attack it and dominate the point.
0:07 Your service doesn't contain too much backspin. Your friend could return it with only a slightly open bat. You should've attacked a ball that high.
0:12 Good deception by your friend. It contains more sidespin compared to backspin. However the high return's consequence could be minimized with a good placement, thats why bro Matt asked you to concentrate on every point.
0:16 Similar scenario, except the service contain more backspin and you returned it short and nice to his wide forehand. This forced him to push the ball which you could attack and at last dominate the point. Nice.
0:26 Nice backhand flick by your friend. Its blockable but too bad you missed it. That would take him by surprise.
0:30 Fatal service return, to take a backhand flick you need to have the ball in front of your body, you need to take a step next time. But, your friend returned your return even fatal. And in the end the edge stole your point :D
0:37 Another easy to attack return from your friend. He is smart to put sidespin on it, but without good placement, you could just attack it. Nice consistent forehand there.
0:42 Your friend should've attacked the ball more aggresively, anyway good recovery and you can control the rally. Nice.
0:49 Smart play. Your friend have noticed the lack of backspin but he is hesitant in attacking, enabling you to turn the situation to your favor. Love it. Nice recovery too.
0:57 Your friend's footwork and lazy short game creates an opening despite he could attack it. He lacks ball placement too. However you got too passive, you should step to your side and kill the ball with your forehand. Quite a waste.
1:04 Nice block, incidentally after you steer him to attack from his wide forehand, you block the ball wide to his backhand, crippling his footwork. He should've attacked more confidently.
1:10 Epic. Nuff said. Anyway your friend's reaction is a bit too late or maybe he thought the ball will go out hehe.
1:13 The lack of backspin enables him to attack the 3rd ball BUT once again he attacked with mediocrity and he stays in his position, making the next shot weaker and at last lost his balance when you block the ball. He need more confidence imo ;) If the ball is in, he would've got the point.
1:19 Nice placed attack to his backhand. His mistake is in the ball placement. Once again to your forehand which you could attack easily.
1:24 Ossum :D
1:29 Nice semi fast forehand push but it seems that he got amazed by it and he played the next stroke poorly hehe..
1:34 Neet. You should've read his serve better. He is good at manipulating sidespins.
1:40 Nice open game after you attacked his serve right away. Nice initiative.
1:47 I used to think to do that :D Nice !
1:54 Wow his receive was Waldner style yet it lands to your forehand again.. Nice placement wide to his forehand.
1:59 Good deception and bad reading from your friend. Seeing that he should take at least one step back.
2:02 CROSSSSTEP ! Nice :)

Huff thats not some thats MUCH :D
Keep on developing bro ;)

THX for the Pro analysis bro Yosua :)))))
Don't worry, I already have an alternative malong chop serve :)
BTW this is just a practice match anyway :))))
I'm thinking of concentrating on my bh loop once i get my new rubber .
For now my fh is destroyed bcuz of the air bubbles in my skyline :((((

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
Yosua, this is a fun, fun video. It is clear you are having a great time playing.

It does look like you are goofing around so, perhaps technique is beside the point. However, you are straight upright with your legs straight. If you bent your knees and got lower and got your weight forward you would get a lot more power and you would see the table better. Also, if you are serving from the center of the table, once in a while for a change of pace that is fine. But if you are always there you are limiting the effectiveness of your serves. If you are on the backhand side you can control the whole table with your forehand and you get much better angles to the backhand side. This forces your opponent to have to cover the backhand side or they will simply lose the point with a high angle serve to the backhand. And, if the go to far to the backhand side, a fast serve down the line also gives you an easy point. If you are more on the forehand side you get better angles to the forehand, although, the serve you are using is not so good to do from the forehand side, because the sidespin pulls the ball to the backhand side leaving you a little open on the backhand side. But once in a while it works from the forehand side to change things up. But if you are always serving from the middle of the table, you are limiting how you set yourself up for the rest of the point and you are cutting down your angles. I don't know that you need that with the person you were playing and the fun quality of the video but... :)

Thanks alot sir Carl :)
Yes, I must say that my footwork here is not the best haha.
I am working on it and yes I service from the left side of the table mostly, just ocassional variations ;)

Thanks once again for the advices, I am even more eager to develop a fiery footwork now hehe..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
THX for the Pro analysis bro Yosua :)))))
Don't worry, I already have an alternative malong chop serve :)
BTW this is just a practice match anyway :))))
I'm thinking of concentrating on my bh loop once i get my new rubber .
For now my fh is destroyed bcuz of the air bubbles in my skyline :((((

Lol the way you say pro could inhibit a bit of sarcasm but I believe you didn't mean it that way :D
You're very welcome bro :) Yes I do agree about your BH loop. Nice consistent attack from both wings will make you a winner :)

Mar 2011
Hahahaha sorry Renz, I was still in the festive mood when I wrote that. If you're the other fella, well what can I say...you were really good. Good basic fundamentals. A lot of variations on the serve and angle of attack. Offensive wise, I don't really have much to comment since you are on the right track. The power and better placements of your shots will come as you matures.

What concerns me a little and as highlighted by Matt is your short game. You have this digging action when you chop, as if you are digging dirt by using a spade. It shows that you are not too confident about your chop and a little worried that it might go into the net. Push the ball with a downward action buddy, and if the ball doesn't have a lot of backspin, exert your backspin on it. Take the ball early, at the highest point is the best, but once you are better, get it on the rise. And to do this, you must be focus.

And another thing, I don't think the video was dumb buddy..:)

Remember, a chop is totally different than a push or a lift. As you do with your topspin, a chop is something that must be done with authority. It will force your opponents into a weak return for you to go into offence.

Lol the way you say pro could inhibit a bit of sarcasm but I believe you didn't mean it that way :D
You're very welcome bro :) Yes I do agree about your BH loop. Nice consistent attack from both wings will make you a winner :)
No sarcasm included bro Yosua :)
I'm still trying to develop a unique bh loop :)))

Hahahaha sorry Renz, I was still in the festive mood when I wrote that. If you're the other fella, well what can I say...you were really good. Good basic fundamentals. A lot of variations on the serve and angle of attack. Offensive wise, I don't really have much to comment since you are on the right track. The power and better placements of your shots will come as you matures.

What concerns me a little and as highlighted by Matt is your short game. You have this digging action when you chop, as if you are digging dirt by using a spade. It shows that you are not too confident about your chop and a little worried that it might go into the net. Push the ball with a downward action buddy, and if the ball doesn't have a lot of backspin, exert your backspin on it. Take the ball early, at the highest point is the best, but once you are better, get it on the rise. And to do this, you must be focus.

And another thing, I don't think the video was dumb buddy..:)

Remember, a chop is totally different than a push or a lift. As you do with your topspin, a chop is something that must be done with authority. It will force your opponents into a weak return for you to go into offence.
I'm really curious about this chop return thingy sir... @_@
Do u mean i have to do a chop then?? Does it have to be b4 the ball contact or will i chop upon contact?
BTW what i meant about Dumb is "Kinda noobish" :)))

Mar 2011
Ok buddy, here it is. A push is basically just a push. You do it normally when the ball doesn't have a lot of backspin, usually when you want to do a short return to your opponent. You are using a bit of the backspin from your opponent, and just guiding the ball over the net...giving you more control to do a short return. The bat is at an angle with a downward motion, with your entire arm pushing/guiding the ball forward. There are no wrist work in this. But in your video, I can see a lot of wrist action. You started with a downward motion, but upon contact with the ball, you used your wrist to open up your bat face making the bat almost parallel/horizontal to the surface of the table. As a result, the ball pops up. The downward motion is correct, but you need to push the ball forward and guide it across (without opening the bat)
In the video, the reason why some of the balls pops up and some didn't, is because it has to do a lot with the amount of backspin when you received these balls. If the amount of backspin is a lot, you managed to keep the ball low over the net, when the amount of backspin is lesser, the ball pops up.

You do a lift is when there is a tremendous amount of backspin on the ball. A push will practically result the ball roll into the net. So you do a lift. The bat comes from directly underneath the ball, and it must be horizontal or slightly pointing upwards. You are actually using the back spin of the ball to roll the ball on your rubber, and just lifting it over the net. You are not pushing the ball forward, merely guiding it. Top spinning the ball is out of the question. Don't even attempt it, coz I've seen it gone under the table, even! 99% of the times, you get it against long pips opponents. You just did a super spinny loop topspin, and your opponent just block the ball using long pips and return it low over the net. My advice, just lift the ball.

Now, a chop is like a push, downward action but with an extra zip (we are talking about short balls, not far from the table chop here). Regardless the how much backspin you get, a lot or a little, you can always exert your offensive chop. The angle of the bat remains the same before and during contact. If the there's a lot of backspin, open the face of the bat a little...and if there's less backspin, you can come down a little steeper. But the main key of this shot is, taking the ball at the highest point, and exerting your backspin to ball and jamming ball low and deep into your opponent.