New rubbers

This user has no status.
Hi all,

I have kind of started this conversation in the blade sub forum but I think that the convo about the rubbers has a better place which is here. So I would like to get new rubbers as you might have guessed from the title.
I have been using the vega europe (BH) and vega japan (FH) for a year and I have made the decision that I think that I need something slower for the forehand. As eventhough I can get some good rallies going on. However, when I am playing against someone with pimples, I struggle to top spin as it either goes over the table or it goes into the net. I know it is because of my technique that is why I think I would benefit from something slower. Do you have any suggestions. Also what do you need to know?

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Hi bolterixus

I have a pimple bat (spare bat) in my coaching sessions and players who want to practice against pimples learn a lot from it. Have you practiced against pimple type players before? This will help your accuracy greatly, understanding the spin and mechanics behind pimples. This could be a good step before changing rubbers as i'm sure you must be pretty use to your setup having used it for a year.

You could look at getting a slower rubber from your current set up. I found the DF rubbers had a lot of control:

How long have you been playing for? You could also upload a video to youtube and post here, that could help users determine what you could use :)

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
I have been playing for 5 years with the first two years just for fun. Have u played with the normal Vega europe? Is the DF much faster? Also how would you compare the vega japan to Vega asia DF speed wise? I could try to record a video sometime. There are two players in my club with pimples and I try to play against them. I try to play often too safe and I don't get fast arm strokes and it goes into the net or I open the bat too much and it just goes over the table.

This user has no status.
Hi bolterixus

I have a pimple bat (spare bat) in my coaching sessions and players who want to practice against pimples learn a lot from it. Have you practiced against pimple type players before? This will help your accuracy greatly, understanding the spin and mechanics behind pimples. This could be a good step before changing rubbers as i'm sure you must be pretty use to your setup having used it for a year.

You could look at getting a slower rubber from your current set up. I found the DF rubbers had a lot of control:

How long have you been playing for? You could also upload a video to youtube and post here, that could help users determine what you could use :)
Hello Dan. Apologies for butting in on this post. I've been desperately trying to find the best rubber for my game. Basically, I block loop, counterhit topspin and push underspin. I guess I'm one of the few people who love pushing and I'm never happier than to bore people to death if my opponent won't hit at me although I'm even happier if they will! However, I'm at my club I'm playing against people who are among the best players in a town in the UK of around 250,000 population and I'm struggling to return their serves consistently even though I currently have Geospin Tacky 2.0 on my backhand. I'm aware that this is because my technique is lacking but at my age I'm not going to get any better now (I'm a veteran). Is there any rubber you could recommend which would give me more control bearing in mind that I don't chop so still need something that I can counterhit with. I have Tenergy 05FX 1.9 on my forehand and have tried this on the backhand but it has less control than the Geospin Tacky and I have also tried Tibhar Aurus Soft 2.0 which also has less control than the Geospin Tacky. If anybody else has any suggestions I'd love to hear them also. I've looked on the table tennis database and the 2 rubbers that come out at the top for control are Donic Bluefire JP 03 and Andro Rasant Beat but I don't think the stats there are terribly reliable.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Info for Russel: when you play someone who is higher level than you there is not much that can change your ability to handle the spin they put on serves unless you wanted to go with anti-spin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
@Bolt: try the Vega Europe on your FH see how it works and let us know. Vega Europe or Pro may be good for your FH. But Dan has a point. Knowing how to play pips is more important than changing equipment. If your equipment works for when you are playing against someone with smooth rubbers you probably don't need to change it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
Info for Russel: when you play someone who is higher level than you there is not much that can change your ability to handle the spin they put on serves unless you wanted to go with anti-spin.
I agree to a certain degree but as I certainly return against these players much more effectivley with Geospin Tacky than I do with Tenergy 05FX the characteristics of the rubber definitely make a difference. I was really asking if there was a rubber with more control than Geospin but still had a certain amount of attacking potential.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I agree to a certain degree but as I certainly return against these players much more effectivley with Geospin Tacky than I do with Tenergy 05FX the characteristics of the rubber definitely make a difference. I was really asking if there was a rubber with more control than Geospin but still had a certain amount of attacking potential.

Yeah. Well, if you are playing people your level and you can handle their serves, then getting a rubber that makes it so that you can return the serves of higher level players more easily without learning read their spin better will ultimately handicap you.

I know you said you are not trying to learn more because you are older. But anything that gives you more control and helps you return the serves without knowing what is on them will let you not pay as much attention to the spin on the serve. And so you will end up in the same place anyway.

Just start trying to learn to read the spin better. Your brain actually starts figuring that out. And as it does your overall level goes up without you changing your strokes. A lot of this game/sport is about reading and adjusting. When you can read higher level spins you get better at handling them.

So I would actually just say, look to play those players whose serves you have trouble returning and make what you do when you play them as much about learning to read and respond the those serves as you can. Let yourself mess up and not get them on the table to try new ways of returning them.

Over time your brain will sort the puzzle out.

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Last edited: