Setup for Chinese style Arc/loop...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Hi
I've been using Stag Power drive Power plus(184g, which I dont mind as I get sense of direction to the ball) and now upgraded to Nittaku Acoustic Carbon + DHS hurricane 3(FH)+ MX-P(BH)

My usage:
Somehow I play well(safely say top 10 in the club) with the cheap racket and has good feedback being all wood I guess...was told by many to replace this stag with a good quality custom..(I like the speed,control and the counter top spin with mid-higher throw, unbelievable returns/blocks to their smashes which 7/10 landed on the table...suits my style, mostly mid to mid-far, very fast wrist action and I for speed depend mostly on my wrist/forearm action)

After lot of reading...upgraded to Nittaku Acoustic Carbon + MX-P(BH) + Dhs Hurricane 3 (FH)

Result:
The setup has a low throw, resulting in my shots hitting the net(which never happened earlier) I realize I have to adjust but I like to hit spinny loop/drives and counter drives at fast speed with great control, which I enjoyed with the stag power drive plus.

Advice needed:
Rubbers which can help get a high throw with nittaku acoustic carbon blade.
Or do I go for a high throw blade?(like DHS PG7/Long 5/3)
Can a high throw rubber offset a low throw blade?

What can be an ideal upgrade to Stag power drive plus with similar playing characteristics but for advanced players...

Thanks a lot in advance

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Hurricane 3 is a high-throw rubber. Probably because of the tacky topsheet which slows down the ball, you hit the net. Hurricane is designed for brush loop which is extremely deadly. But you might have to change the angle a bit.
May I ask which version of hurricane are you using? Neo? Sponge hardness?

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
Most likely, this is simply too much of a change for you - two completely different new rubbers - one tacky and the other one of the fastest on the market - plus a new carbon blade. Try using the same rubber, say MX-P, on both sides of your old Stag PD blade, get used to that, and then switch to Acoustic. As to H3, well, you need to be prepared to invest some time to change your technique for it to work - tacky rubbers are just different to non-tacky rubbers.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Given my ability... the speed is just ok for the new setup...but will have to adjust the technique for the throw... my point was why alter the technique if equipment is available which suits my existing style and can progress further..

I think I'll put my new Adidas P7(I've got a few extra with me, now its diff to find) on FH as they are litter higher throw rubbers as per tabletennisDB...

One very important question?
Can a rubber completely negate the throw of a blade?? (in which case i would not think of a blade upgrade, otherwise i can try dhs pg7 which is a high throw blade to try things out)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
hurricane is a high throw rubber?
nice joke :)
the low throw you are experiencing is not from the blade but more of the rubber itself.
Tensors generally have a way higher throw compared to chinese rubbers so maybe bluefire, rasant, tenergy, xiom vega or some other tensors would be good for you.

I agree with that its high throw. Well Maybe not high but at least medium to high.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Look, H3 is a completely different kind of rubber and is REALLY HARD. It is very rare that a player can go from a Euro type rubber to H3 and make a smooth transition. The players who make that transition are usually determined to use H3 and nothing else. Also, MX-P is pretty hard also and is not a very good rubber for BH unless your BH is really good and able to handle hard rubber which needs deep impact. Add that to the fact that you went from a slow, all wood blade to a carbon blade and this has me scratching my head thinking: "where did he get the idea to get that setup?" But I know, you were reading on line reviews and none of them really mean anything.

Did you try any of the setups of other club members? Trying equipment that friends have is a much better way to find things you like that will work for your playing style.

Now, the truth is, if you play with this racket for long enough you will adjust to it. And I know you said "...why alter technique if equipment is available which suits my existing style..."

Sorry but, even if you got yourself a new version of the same premade racket you were using, you would actually have to alter your technique because the new setup would start by playing a little more grippy. Any time you get something new, your technique adjusts a bit.

But, you are right that it was not in your best interest to get something that is SO COMPLETELY different and that actually requires completely different technique to use.

My best suggestion is try as many different rackets from your friends as you can and see if any of them work for you.

If you want an intelligent suggestion of a first jump from a pre-assembled racket to a higher quality piece of equipment:

Blade: Xiom Offensive S
FH: Xiom Vega Pro
BH: Xiom Vega Pro or Europe

Even with something like that, there will be a big adjustment. Your style developed around a piece of equipment that is WAY DIFFERENT than the kind of equipment you are looking at. The rubber and blade are much more forgiving than any high end setup.

A question that comes to mind: how long were you using that Staag racket? Is it under a year? Over a year? Longer than a year and a half?

That information will also have a bearing on if you should even make the jump from that to something more "professional" or if you should first get a new Staag Power Drive Plus.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
You can't make this thread up, it reminds me of the first custom racket I bought. I went to paddle palace and looked for their highest speed and spin rubbers with a low price and a cheap offensive racket. No discussions with anyone. I bought a Ma Lin Extra Offensive with Juic 999 Turbo for both forehand and backhand.

IF you wonder why I always brush the ball, there is your answer.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
You can't make this thread up, it reminds me of the first custom racket I bought. I went to paddle palace and looked for their highest speed and spin rubbers with a low price and a cheap offensive racket. No discussions with anyone. I bought a Ma Lin Extra Offensive with Juic 999 Turbo for both forehand and backhand.

IF you wonder why I always brush the ball, there is your answer.

Not to derail this thread, but if we're talking about awful first custom bats which haunt our arm waving to this day - mine was a Tibhar Rapid Carbon with 729-FX on both sides. Balsa, carbon, abachi, tacky. All the worst things to start with. I should sue someone.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
Not to derail this thread, but if we're talking about awful first custom bats which haunt our arm waving to this day - mine was a Tibhar Rapid Carbon with 729-FX on both sides. Balsa, carbon, abachi, tacky. All the worst things to start with. I should sue someone.

Haha! We should start a thread "Your worst equipment mistakes" :D I used a premade for first three years, then I returned after a long break and decided to buy a new racket. I went to a local offline shop and asked for an affordable racket that is not too fast. And no tacky rubbers, no! I got a Yinhe Y-4 (which is OK) with Friendship Aurora (which is OK) and Yasaka New Era. The New Era probably had the the stickiest topsheet I have ever seen in my life. It was also as heavy as a hammer.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
To me, this is the most interesting comment in the OP.

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Knowing just how unpopular table tennis is in the country, I can't guess just how good top 10 is in his club

*Behind the screen slowly hiding my new setup in its case

How's the new setup?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
My worst combo, anytime I would go back to hurricane or skyline. Mostly this was used on clipper cc. I regret the hell out of using that blade.

I'd prefer premade Walmart over that thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Thanks for your detailed reply...
My stag was pretty fast.. it's rated also 9.1 for speed and 9.4 control as per user and manufacturer... and I don't see a jump in speed to be honest...in fact the mxp is max 20% faster and h3 40% slower at best

Yes, I tried a's many setups from members as possible...from TBS to joolas to yinhe t11+ mark v tenergy 05 , 80, 5fx acuda's and what not.... but I never liked the t11+ light weight and zero feel... so went for a carbon which as per reviews felt close to wood
I liked the 05 so bought the closest alternative mxp

I understand how control speed and spin are related... and when in a pvt competition among selected ones... I ended up 7th... with the 20$ stag power drive plus...I decided to take it more seriously...(you can laugh it off by assuming all were bad players if you like for yourself)

Does anyone know..is it possible for a high throw rubber to negate the low throw of the blade completely..

I need info on the technical aspect of the setup or from someone who has played with or owns a large no. of rubber blade combinations over a long period of time...but I guess it's like selecting a golf putter where options are endless and dependent upon individual style etc.

Best equipment for spinny topspin arcs would require appropriate
Flex
Dwell time
Tackiness
Control
Throw

My purpose was to ask for suggestions to modify my setup to bring it as close as possible to an appropriate setup....and then try adjust my technique to it...hope i make it clear

This user has no status.
I am satisfied, surprised, frustrated and excited hehe
Satisfied that my expectations are true, a blade with woody feel. Surprised of the dwell when brushing finely cause the ball sticks lol. Frustrated cause some of my strokes specially the full swings go over the table(when powerlooping) and finally excited, excited to master this weapon :D